Translation

A forum for questions and discussions about the Gaiden titles, Cardstories for the Gameboy Advance and the physical card game.
Nekomancer

Post by Nekomancer »

Sars wrote:
Pureheart wrote:Hey SARSadmin, have you ever thought of doing the translation for proportional payments? What I mean is you set yourself up a Paypal donation link where people can donate small amounts to the effort over time and at set intervals you translate a proportion of the text.

For example, you said you would translate it for $2000 right? Well, say that the Paypal brings in $200, you would then translate the first 10% of the text. At $400 you would then translate the next 10%, $600 the next 10%, and so on until the project is finally complete.

The great thing about this system is that neither you or the donators have anything to loose. If donations stop coming in, you are still payed for the perentage you did translate and the donators still get what they paid for.
I've thought about that. I may actually do that soon.
Hmmm, I'm going to wager that this hasn't happened? I've been looking around and haven't seen anything else about it. However if I am just blind and it's here somewhere with paypal and all, is there a link some one has? I'd be happy to donate what I can.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

yea, no ones made a translation yet

and they most likely never will make 1
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

Post by Wicked_Rune_Bearer »

another person here willing to donate :( to bad no ones doing anything about it :(
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Suikoden_Legends
NeoKobeJunker

Post by NeoKobeJunker »

.....yea I need this....everyone needs this....
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

well, no one needs it, they want it badly, but I'd be able to donate about $10-20 every two weeks, since my paycheck isn't that much and I have insurance to pay on my car and the gas prices being how they are. But if a pay pal thing was set up so we could donate, I would definatly donate for it.
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

Just thinking i Remember back when on zelda on nintendo 64 there was a gameshark code that translated english into japenese or perhaps say change the test on the cpu chip but regardless it could switch between too. which left me wondering if it's possissble to somehow set something in affect so that the text could translate itself?
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Translating from Japanese to English isn't an easy process guys... Like, if you got the word 'Ice Cream' translated into english characters would look something like 'Aisukurimu', because of the way each character represents a sound. Characters don't represent english letters, or anything like that. Then there is also sentence structure, it'd be like 'I eat Ice Cream' would look something like 'Ice Cream I Eat.' It'd just be very very jumbled and impossible.

So... in short, there's no quick fix to translating, it involves a guy, possibly even a team of these 'guys', and they sit there with an english dictionary and start cranking it out.

Honestly... I don't think there is a single person who, even for the fun of playing the game, has sat down and started translating things. Or else it would be VERY easy to find a translation out there somewhere, y'know?

Honestly, they should just turn that game into either a Choose your own adventure Manga Series, or into a 13 episode Anime Series.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

I'd donate for a translation. :D
Linn
Elite Member

Post by Linn »

I tried to translate a couple of short scenes from v2, the ones with Lorelai, Killey, and the hero from Suikoden 1. They've probably got some mistakes, but it's something, at least. :D

-

Lorelai: For you, this is really a screwup.

Killey: Complaining is a waste of strength.

Lorelai: What are talking about? Do you really think you're getting out of this one?

Killey: Very quick to give up, aren't you?

Lorelai: No, I'm just realistic. What can we do in this situation? Unless help falls down from the heavens...

(The screen goes dark, and there are several "thud" noises.)

Nash: Owwww! I'm getting used to it by now, but that last one really hurt!

Meg: Hmm, we were higher up than usual.

Viki: Ooh, that's strange.

Nash: So you say, but it still hasn't changed that I'm the one on the bottom... Hm? Who's there? Looks like someone got here before we did. I see a lamp on the other side...

Meg: Somebody here first? Is it bad that we came in here?

Gadget: I doubt that.

Viki: Anyway, let's go and see. Things will turn out okay, so don't let it get you down.

Nash: (... and whose fault...)

Meg: Huh? What?

Nash: There's only a lamp left behind here... !

(The screen goes blank.)

Sensing someone's presence, I immediately jumped away and swiftly hid myself in the shadows. Glancing back at the spot where I had just been, I saw Meg and Viki stiffen, weapons shoved against their backs.

Meg: Huh?!

Viki: What? What? What? What??

Lorelai: Who are you? Servants of the queen?

Meg: The "queen"?!

Killey: That's a bad joke. Do you think she'd send a bunch of kids?

Lorelai: I don't know. I've heard that she has assassins under her command who have undergone special training since birth. Better safe than sorry. But first...

Killey: Yeah, I thought I saw a man, but at some point, he disappeared into the darkness.

Lorelai: You there, where did he go?

Meg: Huh? "He"? You mean Nash?

Lorelai: So he's called Nash.

Viki: Yeah, Nash seems kind of flaky, but he's really good looking.

Lorelai: ... I'm not asking about that.

Killey: !

(Nash attacks.)

Killey: Sorry, but I'm used to being ambushed thanks to a certain vixen.

Lorelai: Well, excuse me.

Nash: So what are you doing in a place like this?

Lorelai: I might ask you the same.

(The screen goes black for a second.)

Nash: So basically, we both screwed up and fell in this hole. Am I wrong?

Killey: I didn't screw up, this woman sold me out to save herself.

Lorelai: I didn't sell you out. I just thought I'd buy myself a little time.

Meg: Um...

Killey: "Buy a little time"? Nice way of saying that you sold me out to the guards.

Meg: K-Killey?

Lorelai: What's wrong with that? You made sure I got a hold of false information in the Island Nations. Now we're even.

Meg: L-Lorelai... um...

Killey and Lorelai: What?!

Meg: Eep! Uh, um, you are Killey and Lorelai, right?

Killey: Yes, but who are you?

Meg: Whaaaat?! Why... Oh, then again, I think I remember you saying something weird when we first met...

Viki: Ooh, ooh, that happens to me all the time, Meg.

Killey: What are you babbling about?

Gadget: Danger. Danger.

Lorelai: We can't help that there are more of us now...

Gadget: Danger. Danger. DANGER!

Nash: ?

(The screen goes blank.)

Nash: What's going on? It went dark all of a sudden...

(There's a strange sound.)

Nash: ... and something's falling...

Millie: Whee! Bonaparte's so high up!

Nash: RUN!

(There's a crashing sound.)

Nash: I-I thought I was going to die...

Lorelai: I can't believe help really did fall from the heavens...

Killey: Help from the heavens...

Millie: "Help from the heavens"? You mean me and Bonaparte?

Nash: ... Yeah.

Millie: Yaaaay!

It definitely *was* help from the heavens. We were able to escape the pit at last by climbing through the rubble created when the giant Bonaparte fell from a distance and smashed through the ruins.

But... what kind of creature is Bonaparte, anyway?

Killey: We're leaving now. I'm a wanted man, after all.

Nash: Yeah... we... that is...

Viki: Ah... ahh...

Nash: How do I put this... Instead of going where the wind takes us, we go where the sneeze takes us...

Viki: Ah-CHOO!

(There's a flash of light, and Viki teleports the group away.)

Killey: Uh, Lorelai... about what just happened...

Lorelai: I'm never telling anybody. Some hideous monster fell from the sky and saved us from a pit we fell in? ... Nothing could ever make me admit to that.

Killey: Yeah... that's true.

-

(In the gaiden, McDohl has whatever name you gave him in Suikoden 1. I removed the name I gave him and put in (S1 Hero) to show that there isn't a default name for him.)

-

Nash: Hey, for once I'm not the one on the bottom!

Meg: Ugh... get off of me...

Millie: You're mean... You're so mean...

Nash: Okay, okay. Hey, are you all right?

Meg: Ah, yeah.

Gadget: Meg, are you all right?

Millie: I'm okay, too!

Bonaparte: (weird noise)

Millie: Yeah, he says he's okay, too.

Nash: She can communicate with it...?

Viki: Aaaah!

Nash: W-what is it this time?

Meg: Aaaah!

Millie: Aaaah! ... Who is that, again?

(S1 Hero's name): ?

Kasumi: Oh... I'm sorry... Am I... bothering you?

(S1 Hero's name): Of course not. You can see how much success I'm having.

Kasumi: That's true... Not even one fish yet...

(S1 Hero's name): Ha ha ha.

Kasumi: Have you had something on your mind? You looked kind of spaced out.

(S1 Hero's name): Yeah... I have. I was thinking... about some things that happened a long time ago...

Kasumi: A long time ago?

(Flashback 1)

Teo: This kid is Ted. I've decided that we'll be taking care of him here for a while. (S1 Hero's name), be nice to him.

(S1 Hero's name): Sure. Good to meet you.

Ted: ...

(S1 Hero's name): ?

(Flashback 2)

(S1 Hero's name): You hold it like this... then... whoa... you're good... is this really the first time you've used one?

Ted: This is the first time I've used this kind of weapon... but there have been a lot of times up until now when I've had to fight...

(S1 Hero's name): I see...

(Flashback 3)

(S1 Hero's name): And then, Gremio...

Ted: Heh...

(S1 Hero's name): Ahh!

Ted: What?

(S1 Hero's name): I think this is the first time I've seen you laugh.

Ted: Oh, I see... You were having so much fun telling your story, (S1 Hero's name), I couldn't help it...

(Flashback 4)

Ted: Don't... look like that... (S1 Hero's name)... I... chose this... This time... It really is... goodbye... Take care... live enough for me, too... ...

Kasumi: I didn't know about that...

(S1 Hero's name): Yeah... things like that happened, too.

Kasumi: I... see. You really are still... that battle... (S1 Hero's name)...

(S1 Hero's name): I dunno. The Souleater has so many people's thoughts and feelings in it. I can look at it that way... at least lately.

Kasumi: ...

(S1 Hero's name): Okay, let's go before anything annoying comes up.

Kasumi: Oh, where to?

(S1 Hero's name): Dinner. There's store that I know about, my little secret.

Kasumi: Ah, really?

(S1 Hero's name): Wanna go?

Nash: Hey, do you know them?

Meg: Yes, why?

Nash: Uh, no... it's just... Why did they spend over an hour staring at a fishing rod without saying a word?

Viki: About Kasumi, you see... just between you and me, the truth is... she likes (S1 Hero's name)! Hee hee, surprised?

Nash: Huh? Uh, I guess... I think you can tell just by looking at them, though. More importantly, I'm getting hungry...

Millie: Then I'll get some fish for you. Bonaparte's good at catching fish. Right, Bonaparte?

Nash: No, please don't... I've got a bad feeling about this.

Millie: Awwww, whyyy? Whyyy?

Nash: ...

Millie: Why why why whyyy?

Nash: ...

Millie: Why! Why! Why! Why! Why! WHYYY!

Nash: (sigh) ... I want to hurry up and go back...
zaltabor

Post by zaltabor »

Linn. Thank you so much for the translations. Considering that the game is 99% unlikely to ever be released outside of Japan it's nice to have any translations.

I remember translating the Suikoden cards and that was challenging enough for me. Once again thanks. It's greatly appreciated.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Very nice job!
Linn
Elite Member

Post by Linn »

Thanks! I'm glad to know there aren't any really glaring errors. :lol:

I'm hoping to do more when I've got the time... probably the scene with Jowy, Nanami, and the hero from II and then one of Zaj's scenes from the end.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

THANK YOU

this is the closest thing we will ever have to any Gaiden Translations!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

seriously, this is amazing information also makes me wish i knew japanese, or perhaps been born japanese so that i could play these freaking games. thank you linn
Occam Arkitect

Re: Translation

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Idea: Why not translators work on a specific chapter/part of the game, rather than worrying about translating the whole game? I know it sounds easy, but it could be just one path at a time (because of choices). Fans would not mind picking the choices you did for the translation anyway.

I have just graduated from my basic Japanese studies (memorized all Hiragana and Katakana, basic sentence grammar and other newbie stuff, but I only remember important Kanji's), I can lend a small hand on some parts of Vol.1. Now I just have to finish my JP GS2 first, it'll only take a week or two, then I'm off...

I may not much be of help, I still read Japanese slowly like a 5-year old (but at least accurate), but my willingness to do it helps me boost my interest! I plan to play majority of this on an emulator, for save states on important choices. Best of luck to all!