[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden III

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Akihiko

Re: [Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden III

Post by Akihiko »

Belle wrote:Well, it helps to upgrade your armor, skill levels, and weapons levels.
And to see which runes work best with which playable characters.

You can't just rely on leveling up; you really need to play around with other things.
I know, I have been trying to do that, as well. I just feel frustrated right now. v_v
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Are you talking about random battles or war battles?
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

I think he's talking about war battles (regular battles are not really hard in Chris Chapter, team is decently geared because you have enough money to upgrade equipment/weapon).

War battles are tricky though. Rushing or even attacking against troops is dangerous. Sure, you'll deal damage, but if you don't kill your enemy, you can be overwhelmed on his turn.

Using defensive tactic is more profitable.
You have to weaken ennemies with magic, and to place troops in pincer position.
Don't hesitate to defend, you'll get low damage and you'll deal some. Then, next turn, take the offensive on the more injured enemy troops.

Also, be careful of boss or generals, they usually hit very hard and take low damage.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

Most of the war battles in this game are like Ellyos said, defensively based. I found out early on that even though the battles had conditions for victory, all you had to do was stay alive for a certain amount of turns.

Just like Suikoden II, a lot of battles it didnt really matter what you did, the outcome was already decided.

For the the battles in Suikoden III, do not be afraid to just sit back and wait for the enemy to make it's move. There are some that require you to actually defeat the enemy or get your ally's unit to a certain spot but for the most part just defend and even retreat if necessary.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

Whenever I first started playing this game, I was thrown off with so many things. I hated it. Thankfully, when I got accustomed to the big changes from previous games, I was able to enjoy it more, and get into the story more. Now, I think this game is amazing. The only issue I have with it is the graphics. I've been searching for pictures of characters recently, and I get amazed at how great their design is. You can't see that in the game. For example Jacques looks like a child, while on the official artwork he looks like a badass killer (I might be overreacting haha). He is not the only one, as most of the characters look like my mother molded them and put them in the game.

Still, a really nice game.
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

I cannot understand what they were thinking whilst creating the game,choosing Koroku to have his different "storyline",since his walk around Budehuc castle is just a mini-game like Kathy's horseriding or Nadir's plays. :?

I think it would be better if Sasarai had his own storyline,taking the place of Koroku's pedestal,since he is the bearer of the True Earth Rune,so the trinity site would be considered completed (the 5 bearers of the True E/F/L/W/W rune and the Tenkai star)
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

I just took the game out of my shelf... Ah... how I missed Geddoe's Story and especially the banter between Ace, Joker and Queen. Geddoe is simply a class of his own. Hell I even managed to make him and Queen strike thrice. I belive this time I will make Geddoe my Flame Champion.
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de
Toasticles

Post by Toasticles »

It certainly is a wonderful game and I too enjoyed Geddoe's story.

Hugo is by far my favorite but Geddoe does come in close 2nd place. Thomas comes in 3rd with Lady Chris in 5th place honestly. As little as you get to do in Luc's story I still preferred it over Lady Chris. I just didn't enjoy her story very much because I felt too limited in my options. I understand part of the reasons for the limitations on her but still it just felt like it wasn't quite fully developed the way Hugo and Geddoe were. Even Thomas, while limited in his own ways, seemed more fleshed out than Lady Chris who played more like she was being led around by the nose.

Now in the case of Koroku I have to agree with Sasarai10 and say I would have much rather been able to play from Sasarai's point of view instead of running around the castle as a dog.

All in all this game is still one of my all time favorites and one which I certainly never plan to get rid of. I'll keep my PS2 forever just to play it and a few other titles I really enjoy. I've had my Super Nintendo for around 25 years and it still plays my old SNES games just fine. I can only hope that the PS2 still runs Suikoden 3 in another decade.
TeresaGonzales

Post by TeresaGonzales »

All I state for Suikoden lll, is Thank all of you convincing Rune Gods for Creating THEE Emily, she truly shakes my reality, she is so fortunate and hes lazier than me