Boost status kills your character?

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Boost status kills your character?

Post by KFCrispy »

This never happened to me before, because I guess every time I've used the Boost status, the enemy would be dead very quickly.. but I was watching CaptainKappa04 on Twitch and suggested using Boost for his mounted pair to get double damage... but after perhaps the 3rd attack with the Boost status, Futch and Bright automatically took a huge amount of damage beyond their combined HP!

Clip: https://clips.twitch.tv/ImpartialPatien ... KokvueEkwE
The damage taken from Boost ending was 983 + 1103 = 2086 damage, and their combined HP was 429 + 508 = 937 HP.
The yellow glow indicates Boost status, and from the previous turn, I could tell Futch did not have any kind of post-turn damage such as Blood Armor's effect. He was bent down only because of the Silence status that Azzodess inflict on your team.

I know from Suikoden V, when Boost was properly implemented in an easily accessible rune, the user's HP is supposed to drop to 1 at the end of the 3rd turn. This also somewhat happens in Suikoden II, but similar to III, it's only a status that a few food items can cause, and nobody usually bothers with it-- In II, Boost status in II is also bugged, where it sometimes greatly reduces the damage dealt. (I wonder if in 2, the Attack value was overflowing or something like that)

So in Suikoden III, I wonder if Boost wearing off is supposed to kill the user, or perhaps it's designed to reduce the character's HP to 1 but that there is a bug related to mounted pairs that deals more damage than it should. Has anyone else messed with the Boost status?
Celes
Global Admin

Re: Boost status kills your character?

Post by Celes »

When Boost status wears off after three turns, you'll receive dmg based on the dmg you dealt during the boost status.
Dmg received = Dmg dealt / 2
While you are mounted, the damage is divided in proportion to the max HP.
That is exactly what is happening here.

Watching the full video reveals:
Futch + Bright inflicted 4294 dmg (901 + 834 + 2031 + 528) during boost status.
So they receive 2147 dmg (4294 / 2).
Futch has ~45,78% of the combined max HP, Bright 54,21%.
Futch receives 983 dmg. Bright receives 1163 dmg.
The exact calculation is subject to rounding. Presumably its all integer division but I'm not entirely sure about S3.

The same scheme applies to S2 as well.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Boost status kills your character?

Post by KFCrispy »

Interesting. Thanks for pointing this out! I really wonder why I had never seen this damage....