Who to Give Which Characters to in chapters 1-3

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
knight85

Who to Give Which Characters to in chapters 1-3

Post by knight85 »

I know somebody will probably say i've already posted something like this on gamefaqs but i'm hoping for a second opinion here

geddoe will be recruiting peggi, jeane, scott, ernie, domonic, edge and arthur (for a treasure hunter to seek rage runes)

thomas will get kathy, kenji, mio, goro, twaikin and gordon (and possibly augustine) (normally i would get kidd with thomas but i want a good treasure hunt skill for chris to hunt rage runes)

chris will get watari, barts(if i can), ayame, rody, estella, and nadir

hugo will get guilame, the trio of performers, landis, mike, mamie, sanae y

the undecided characters are: the saint loa knights, mel (i'm leaning towards giving her to chris as a mage), belle + gadget Z, wan fu and emily (emily's fate will be decided by whether or not wan fu is any use as a warrior)

my main problem is that i want to give chris a 6th party member during the battle at the great hollow and my options are limited to melville and gadget Z since i want to keep the performers for hugo and kenji is an ugly individual who shall never corrupt my party again with his presence. if i could get to iksay i'd buy a rose brooch and get augustine, but that's not an option until after the battle.

but if i take belle and gadget Z as chris, i will leave mel for thomas and vice versa, and if i decide to take mel as chris, then i'll take the saint loa knights into the war with the grasslands.

so. thoughts? opinions? rants about how much of an idiot i am?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Who to Give Which Characters to in chapters 1-3

Post by wataru14 »

I like recruiting the St. Loa Knights with Hugo (it gives closure to their cute story in Hugo Chapter 1) and also Belle and Gadget Z with Hugo (since she has a crush on him). I get Nei, Toppo, and Shabon with Chris. And I get Mel with Thomas. She has a set level which is waaaaay higher than Thomas and company, so she will help out greatly in his chapters.
knight85

Post by knight85 »

to be honest i think that's what i did in one of the last playthrus i did of this game. but it's been that long i cant remember.

the only thing i remember for sure is that i got landis and i think sanae y as hugo and picked up mike with geddoe and i usually got kidd as thomas. but this time i'm gonna leave him for chris cause i want chris and geddoe to both have a support character with treasure hunt. so chris will get kidd and geddoe will get arthur so i can go looking for rage and mother earth runes

i'll probably let thomas take augustine to give thomas an extra battle partner so i dont have to take juan.

the only way i could possibly think of to not have to get mel as thomas is to wait until after i do chris chapter 2, that way i SHOULD have gotten enough characters between geddoe and chris to get sanae y. and even then i'm not sure i'd have enough. i could end up having to do geddoe chapter 2 as well and that's not what i want to do. i want to use thomas's chapter as a break between serious chapters
knight85

Post by knight85 »

i've made a decision on all of the chapter 1-3 characters except for Mel and Sanae Y

one of these 2 is going to chris. but since you dont get mel until you're already in iksay village and are unable to use her and watari in the fights in Iksay so there's no real point in recruiting her since the chapter will be over quickly after that and i'd have a mage anyway since i'm going to recruit the circus performers as chris

either way here's my recruitment plan

geddoe

domonic
scott
jeane
ernie
peggi
edge
arthur

chris

the dog in the mountains

nei
toppo
shabon
watari
gordon
ayame
barts
kidd
nadir
rody
estella
wan fu/emily

hugo

billy
Guillaume
belle
gadget Z
sanae Y
mammie
landis
melville
elliot
alanis
wan fu/emily
mike

thomas

mio
mel
kathy
twaikin
kenji
goro
augustine
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I tried getting as many characters as I could with Thomas, hoping that defending the castle from the Zexen knights would be easier, but it sucked.
knight85

Post by knight85 »

yeah. that's because by snatching up all the characters as thomas, you hamstring chris and hugo
knight85

Post by knight85 »

hey guys new question.

let's say for the sake of argument i'm in chapter 3 with hugo and i've just completed the events at budehuc castle and apple and ceaser have gone their own way, if instead of going back to the great hollow I went to brass castle, would i be able to get through the boarder and into zexen?

i'm thinking that if i can pick up the saint loa knight characters BEFORE halec starts the fight at brass castle then i could develop eliot and alanis as i go instead of having to do a lot of backtracking later
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Sorry, you can't actually. I just started a new game and reached this point

You can't reach Brass Castle from Yaza Plains and Great Hollow at this point in the game
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

knight85, we can't reach Zexen at that point
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

You can still get Melville and Elliot before Hallec and Mua. You just need to drop off Lilly's group at Great Hollow first.
I'm here at Vinay Del Zexay, you can avoid Hallec and Mua and go to Vinay del Zexay

Well, I can't recruit Melville and Elliot coz I haven't recruited Billy. I think that's the problem
knight85

Post by knight85 »

ok guys i'm pretty sure i have answers to all the points that have been raised

let's start with getting to brass castle: there is a way, just go to the great hollow and double back along the ancient highway to duck village, then head across the amur plains to the castle

next is getting billy: a simple task. if recruiting him as hugo it should be a simple matter of doubling back to budehuc and doing the events to recruit him. or get him as chris or thomas beforehand

and lastly is the matter of dropping off lily and her minions at the great hollow: if i remember right it's the process of lily leaving the party, and the couple of days you have to wait before hugo goes looking for her that triggers mua and halec's appearance at brass castle.

but i'll check out youtube and see what happens after lily leaves the party and decide from there.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

You can't access the other side of Brass Castle even if you do that, so you can't get to Vinay Del Zexay
Getting Billy requires you to get one of those S statue(s) to get him to appear on Budehuc Castle
You can avoid Mua and Hallec so you can recruit Melville and Elliot but it won't be before you drop off Lilly's group at Great Hollow

I AM currently at this point so I can check anything I want regarding what you asked
knight85

Post by knight85 »

ok so how do i avoid mua and halec?

i just checked youtube and as soon as you enter the central chamber of the great hollow lily will leave after the next cutscene, which will trigger the events at brass with mua and halec
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Very easy, just walk to the edge of the screen and keep doing that till you get to the next screen
You need to be very close to Mua/Hallec to trigger the scene anyway
knight85

Post by knight85 »

ah so the scene with mua and halec doesnt trigger until you actually aproach them?