The Most Underestimated Character.

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
thundersenshi

Post by thundersenshi »

I was about to mention Mel until I found out that someone already did it at the last page. :D I agree, Mel was fantastic, and really surprised the hell out of me. She seemed well underrated. Aside from being a kickass lightning mage, her default rune is great plus it doesn't run out. And she swings a lot, too.
SUIKO WARFARE 101: Why anyone's bothering to get a Silverberg to battle for their cause is beyond me. They never guarantee success, unlike getting a Jeane or a Viki. Who has ever seen a Hero lose a war with both of them on his side?
i-patch

Post by i-patch »

i dunno if you guys noticed, but alanis is quite an underdog as well..
aside from the ubermages (sasarai, estella) she's the only one who scores an A in pale gate magic, and she doesn't have any fixed rune on her three slots, making her a nifty mage
downside is, her magic stat sucks.. but that's nothing a few stones of magic couldn't fix..

i set her up this way:
H: pale gate
rh: shield
lh: earth (not mother earth; clay guardian is dead useful)

custom casque
true thunderbolt leather
blue ribbon
earth magic ring
resistance ring

now i have an underage wizard straight out of miss minchin's dormitory.. this way, she bests sasarai, estella, rody, and the two vikis bcoz:
>sasarai cant protect himself with a blue ribbon given that his defenses suck.. giving him a skunk rune would keep him from using pale gate
>estella is stuck with her rage rune (we all know that fire magic sucks)
> the two vikis can only go up to B+ in pale gate, and are stuck with a blinking rune each..
>the only magic that rody can use well is water, and he doesn't have the pale gate skill
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i would give Alanis Water and/or Fire instead of Earth. Fire is safe for her because of Precision, and it's easy to bump the fire skill up with Wizard Hat and Fire Magic Rings.

i disagree about sucky defenses for mages. they survive well against magic attacks and rarely take a physical hit when they are a backend partner.

Estella with a natural S fire magic just needs one more Lightning skill magic (natural A with a permanent(?) Ring) to achieve S in both. she has a very high magic stat for many spells. she doesn't have support skills but that's not her job. if you want to take out a large group of enemies, use a group fire spell the first turn--it'll usually beat out the regular attacks since they have to run over to the enemy. Thunder is also pretty good for groups, and the 4th level Rage is very powerful and concentrated.

Rody can also just use some items to get S in Fire or Lightning, and he does have precision so fire is safe.

Sasarai has the True Earth Rune. that's hard to beat.. but it's true it's not so useful vs the final boss.

Pale Gate Rune is okay/semi-useful for its level 1 spell. vs most bosses, a rage/thunder rune is way more effective.
i-patch

Post by i-patch »

come to think of it, estella does seem like a pretty good mage.. but i have an aesthetic criterion for selecting party members therefore kicking estella outta there..
true, rage and thunder have big plusses, but there are few who can use them well (ugly estella being one)
the liberty of equipping the fire magic ring comes with a price since it would be far more useful if you give it to the flame champ (i always pick hugo)

i gave alanis earth because of the clay guardian.. i don't need more fire spells since i've got the flame champ.. i don't need more lightning since i always take the true lightning bearer (in my case, is always superman geddoe).. besides, fire n lightning cant be used immediately in the final battle, giving pale gate an edge over both of them
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Quote: "Sasarai has the True Earth Rune. that's hard to beat.. but it's true it's not so useful vs the final boss."

Actually, if you use the Defense Boost and Magic protection spells from his True Earth, which will activate before the final boss can cast any offensive spells or attack, it will help greatly in surviving the final boss's attacks, especially the all-elemental Rainbow color-barrage attack.

Sure earthquake won't do anything, ohh well it's a nice spell to watch nonetheless (enemy goes to hell hehe).
Strategy is the key to victory!
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

Many people have their thoughts on underestimated characters in the game. I'm surprised nobody said Augustine one set back is he only wears one type of armor. He can somehow wear iron heels and is fairly good with magic. What makes him also good is his parry & repel. If affixed with 2 white rose broaches he attacks 5 times. He also has the Red Rose rune that can be used quite a bit. In war battles he's a keeper especially if equipted with rose broaches. Helps a bit in Thomas's chapter against the knights, keep the parry & repel up he's a tough one to hit.

The other 2 that I thought of was Edge & Landis but they're not that underestimated. Maybe Landis more so then Edge. Landis has fairly good stats especially his magic resistance, theif which is better then Ace's, and freeze all are at least A's or better. Not to mention he can unite with Ayame for some reason.

If those weren't underestimated then this one is Piccolo. He might not be the best of all the mages but he's one of them that can get Pale Gate. His Lightning skills aren't all that great so he could use Fire instead. Especially for the people that like to use mages.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Piccolo can get an A+ in Lightning Magic. He's one Lightning Magic Ring or Wizard Hat away from achieving S. It's extremely useful in the major battles of the Budehuc crew. Fire is only useful on people with Precision (Sasarai, Elaine, Alanis, Rody) and Estella, since she gets an S on it. I only have Estella use Rage for Final Flame. Otherwise, I just use Lightning Magic.

Edge sucks... good stats, but his skill slots break him. His permanent skills are pretty useless (Counter Attack and Lightning Magic). He has only three free skill slots, which are usually occupied by Swing, Accuracy and one of Armor Protect or Repel, and I usually pick Armor Protect since that's more useful, making his Counter Attack skill almost useless.
i-patch

Re: The Most Underestimated Character.

Post by i-patch »

Black Knight Yuber wrote:Many people have their thoughts on underestimated characters in the game. I'm surprised nobody said Augustine..
...If those weren't underestimated then this one is Piccolo...
i don't think augustine is an underdog.. he's the only swordsman who can reach an S in swing.. by far the most useful narc in suikoden, actually..
but i do agree that piccolo is great, he's the trump card in thomas' chapters..
Kirke

Post by Kirke »

Doesn't the fact that he's a useful narcissist make him an underdog?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

A narcissist isn't automatically an underdog. Just look at Milich. He was the original narcissist and he was certainly a force to be reckoned with, I mean he killed Gremo after all.
Kirke

Post by Kirke »

I agree that Milich was powerful, and a great playable character as well. And Augustine is a regular swashbuckler. The fact that they ARE powerful is what makes them the underdogs- you'd never expect such power or skill from their flamboyant appearance.
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

Guess the same can be said for Simone in Suikoden II. Even though he has a unique way of attacking throwing roses he's still a force + him with Vincent also a plus. Not to mention their unite attack.
Yaya323

Post by Yaya323 »

I'm not sure if this is a common character or not, but I would have to say Piccolo. He's way underused between my friend and I. She absolutely hates him because he died so much during one of Thomas' early chapters, but once I raised his lighting... he was insta-killing Zexans during a strategy battle, and protecting Thomas. :)
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Yeah. I always laugh when he uses Furious Blow and deals 900-1000 DMG on those Zexen Knights.
darkness knight

hmm

Post by darkness knight »

the most subestimated character of in my own opinion its Futch he has some high speed unlike other characters
Thë®ë å®ë ÞëøÞlë whø ƒølløw thëî® d®ëåm§...ßüt tø më d®ëåm§ å®ë d®ëåm§..nøthîng mø®ë