Crappy characters training challenge

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Arucard

Crappy characters training challenge

Post by Arucard »

hey people! i`d like to take up a small challenge to see how good i can get the crappiest 5 suikoden characters but i`ll need your help :P

i need THE crappiest 4 fighters and 1 mage from each suikoden and i will attempt to make them as strong as can be.

i already got 2 characters from suikoden 3:

1 fighter - thomas
1 mage - piccolo

please help here
Kage

Post by Kage »

Thomas isn't that crappy. He just earns exp at an extremely slow rate.
If you really want a challenge you should switch who you consider mages and fighters, i.e. level up Emily's magic skills but none of her Bujutsu skills, and level up Estella's Bujustu skills but not her magic.

More on point, the only truly crappy character in Suikoden 3 is Kenji.

I don't know if you've ever tried this, but level up Juan.
Lechium

Post by Lechium »

Piccolo has highest possible growth rate for magic. His affinities aren't that good, but he is a formidable mage.

P.S. Juan is pretty cool ihmo. he'll sleep thru easy fights but when he wakes up for the hard ones he will kick some major ass. Hell i have firefly rune on him durin thomas chapter 1 =)
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Alanis is probably the worst mage, especially because her combat type is "offensive fighter."
Lechium

Post by Lechium »

...but she has a bad-ass looking dual-tech with another kid-knight lol

P.S. is it possible to make her into a fighter/mage? Her power and such are decent for a mage...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it's hard to find really lousy characters in this game. i'd say the ninjas when they get to the end of the game, because there will be magic and special attacks that they can't handle too well because they're built to dodge.

Thomas and Piccolo are some of the strongest characters in my opinion. Piccolo gets an A+ in Lightning Magic so he only needs a Wizard Hat to reach S and put on the hurt. he also gets A+ with Pale Gate but does backfire, but on most occassions, it still allows the team to plow through enemies.
Thomas is an above average fighter who has an extremely high Parry skill. he also has enough skill slots to gain skills i usually won't give to at all due to the limited amount of skills they can have: Repel, Damage, even Mov..

i would say the most difficult to use are "average", well-rounded characters that can't defeat the final boss in a few turns but also can't survive in the few turns either. if you try to keep them balanced, they won't be remarkable in any aspect.
Kuromimi
Elite Member

Post by Kuromimi »

Worst four fighters: Koroku, Koichi, Kogoro and Kosanji
Worst mage: Connie (she does get Pale Gate Magic)

Good luck. ^^
Zotmaster

Post by Zotmaster »

I think we can all agree that Kuromimi hit the nail on the head with this one.
Congratulations, but you're still wrong, Killey.
Blasphemy000

Post by Blasphemy000 »

Lechium wrote:...but she has a bad-ass looking dual-tech with another kid-knight lol

P.S. is it possible to make her into a fighter/mage? Her power and such are decent for a mage...
Unfortunately Alanis proves that unlike S2, 3 open rune slots cannot make a bad character good. She has such horrible stats and skills that she's good for nothing. You can't change skills, and without the stat-stone exploit it's tough. You could give Alanis a Warrior/Wizard/Pale Gate and Fire Casque/Blue Ribbon/Strength Belt X2. But I've never tried this in the game so who knows.... You could replace Blue Ribbon with another Strength Belt ...

Besides the dogs and Alanis, the worst character that I can think of is Melville (A+ Heavy Damage can't even save him) and Rico.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

I find that using Alanis as a typical mage works just fine. Her specialty is usually Water and Shield, but i do leave a slot open for Fire. But then again, i never really use her towards the end of the game for real battles.. are her magic points so low she can't cast any level 4's?
Blasphemy000

Post by Blasphemy000 »

I just loaded up a game and at level 50, her MGC is at 108. So I figure around level 47 is when her level 4 spell opens up. I think I'll level her to 53 and try out that combination I posted above to see what she can do....
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

based on her maximum skills, she is much better suited as a mage. A in Water and Pale Gate, and she also gets Shield B+. keep in mind that regular Water level 4's (Silent Lake) are not so useful, Shield uses the first 3 levels, and Pale Gate's best magic is level 1; for boss fights she should just be healer/support. for this situation, i think she excels as a regular enemy eliminater + healer for from her skills alone. if she is going to use a Flowing, i would exchange it for the Shield Rune because the Flowing only provides a level 2 heal spell and water has access to 1 and 3. Shield's heal is 2, but it does have its usefulness with Battle Oath while she can revive one character with Flowing.

if you are thinking of utilizing the Unite with Melville, i simply wouldn't. Melville ends up with an A+ in Heavy Damage, so give him a Killer or whatever physical boosting runes (2 slots) and let him rip. the unite itself is probably 2x with alanis unbalanced, and melville always stays back to just defend when she is unbalanced, so it's not worth it unless Alanis gets all physical boosts and Balance Rune.
Blasphemy000

Post by Blasphemy000 »

Indeed, but the goal was to turn Alanis into a Fighter/Mage... which unfortunately I couldn't do. She's just lacking both the weapon power and strength to do any serious damage. By trying to make her good at both things, I've made her good at nothing....
Karthur

Post by Karthur »

I had pretty decent luck playing Melville. At the current moment, I have him up to level 54, and he does a decent amount of damage.

As far as "handicapping" a character:
Play Salome as a pure offensive fighter and not a priest/mage, meaning don't give him any runes and don't train up any of his magic skills. My husband did this as a challenge (although I maintain it was because he doesn't like priest-type characters). Anyway, he could never get Salome to rank anything above a B in combat skills. Accessories would help a little, but even when "appointed" he still wouldn't get but one swing, even at the higher levels.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

make Rody a pure fighter and utilize his S in Sword of Magic.... Double-Strike would let him die in one hit...