Jeane/Viki agelessness source

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Quing

Jeane/Viki agelessness source

Post by Quing »

Okay, so it's pretty much common knowledge among the boards that Jeane's lack of aging is not due to runes, correct? I believe that I also read something on the boards that stated the same thing about Viki's agelessness. I was just wondering where these pieces of information come from and if I could get ahold of the original interview or what have you that it came from. Thanks.
HIKO

Re: Jeane/Viki agelessness source

Post by HIKO »

doesn't viki just teleport though time.
Quing

Post by Quing »

Right. What I meant was the statement that Viki doesn't have a true rune. Sorry, that was a little confusing.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

As far as I know they have never said she doesn't have one, nor that she has one. There just isn't anything that suggests she has one.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Her teleportation through time is cause by the masterly of the blinking rune and maybe some kind of unique technique that people from where she comes from knows of, but just like the elemental runes and such the blinking rune is probably derived from a true rune of some sorts not yet discovered. Ofcourse, she isn't ageless, or atleast that's what we know. She's a bit less hazy than Jeane, since Jeane probably has a million+ theories as it is.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Viki is pretty much driven by fate, accidentally teleporting from one SoD gathering to another.

the developments in Suikoden V reveal Jeane is very likely Ancient Armenian as well as Eresh.
Twelve

Post by Twelve »

If Jeane possesses a rune that enables agelessness, it must somehow be hidden, or somehow contradicts the current set of known rules governing runes/magic in the Suikoden universe. During a bath scene, Lilly Pendragon searched Jeane for signs of a True Rune and couldn't find any. Suikoden V offered the first opportunity to use Jeane as a regular party member, and there was no indication that she possessed a rune that was special (aside from the Charm Rune).

From the Jeane entry in the Suikosource encyclopedia:
Apparently, she has a 'true form' which is not visible to humans, and she wishes to keep it that way. She is at least under the impression that the dog Koroku can see her true form, and tells him to keep it a secret (a joke, for sure, seeing as Koroku can't talk). Rania, an expert at hearing and interpreting sounds that nobody else can hear, comments that Jeane has many sounds (as opposed to one that she observes for most people), that are very pure and beautiful.
Her agelessness may very well be a consequence of not being human. Considering there are several beings in the Suikoden universe whose human-ness can be questioned (e.g., Yuber, Kobolds, etc.), it is very likely that she is also non-human, and lives under other laws of nature.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Jeane was useable in your party in Suikoden 4 as well--Suikoden 5 wasn't the first.

In an interview within the Suikoden 2 108 character guide, Fumi Ishikawa says that Jeane has no true rune, so that sort of ends the discussion. I can't remember much about Viki, or whether anything has ever been said about her. However, because her age has consistently been displayed as "16" in all games, there's no indication that she has a true rune (true rune bearers still accumulate time, just like how Joshua Levenheit is shown as being 200+ years old). It either means a full year hasn't passed for Viki throughout the games, or time doesn't flow around her.
Twelve

Post by Twelve »

Vextor wrote:Jeane was useable in your party in Suikoden 4 as well--Suikoden 5 wasn't the first.
Sorry, I tried to purge that game from my memory.
Mystical

Post by Mystical »

It doesn't seem like Viki has a True Rune, or that she doesn't age for the matter.

My theory is that: she's got powers over her Teleport Rune that allow her to travel through the fourth dimension (Time). But she doesn't know or realize that, as it almost everytime happens by accident. (She sneezes and casts the time travel spell by mistake.)
Maybe the Teleport Rune itself has such power (The Lv.4 spell, maybe?).
Hence why she's always 16 years old in every Suikoden game regardless of the time difference.

None of that is official or true, though. So don't take my hypothesizes for facts.
Twelve

Post by Twelve »

I would have to assume that Viki must age... Or how else can you explain the Young Viki and Older Viki in Suikoden III? They are definitely the same person, just at different ages.
Avalionis

Post by Avalionis »

Jeane could very well be an incarnation of a True Rune. (I know Konami confirmed that Jeane doesn't HAVE a True Rune...but they didn't say anything about her being an incarnation of one.)

As for Viki...I'm assuming it is indeed due to her traveling through time. But again...she COULD have a True Rune...Konmai hasn't confirmed OR denied this theory however...so until then, we can only guess. :\
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Jeane will remain a mystery. At least until they decide to reveal (if that'll ever happen is beyond me)

Viki on the other hand, she teleports, travels through time.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

Yeah, Viki ages, she just pops up anywhere at anytime whether she likes it or not, kinda like Quantum Leap without taking other people's bodies. I even think she experienced the events of the games in the same order we did: that is, she blinked into Toran, then at the celebratory victory feast, blinked into Jowston, then again jumped almost 20 years ahead to the Grasslands, then jumped almost two centuries back in time to the Island Nations, then poofed to Falena. I could be wrong, but this order of events simply serves to amuse me.

As for Jeane...I dunno. Maybe she's a Highlander! (Highlander as in Sean Connery, not Luca Blight)
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Avalionis

Post by Avalionis »

Jeane possibly being from the Ancient Armes Kingdom seems plausable...but keep in mind, that Zweig, Killey and Lorelai all know things about the Cindar. But that doesn't necessarly make them Cindar.

Jeane may just have a vast knowledge of places. As for runes...well she IS a Runemistress...I mean it IS her job to know runes in general. She may just have learned about the 27 True Runes, in the possible event that she's called forth to embed a True Rune on a person.

When Viki showed up in the Scarlet Moon Empire, she asked Tir where she was, and thus saying "Empire? Which one?" This may mean she poofed into the Island Nations first, and helped fight against the Kooluk Empire.