Hugo's duel vs Yuber is completely fixed

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
Avalionis

Re: Hugo's duel vs Yuber is completely fixed

Post by Avalionis »

KFCrispy wrote:and yuber might call you a cheater again.
Well, in most cases you HAVE to cheat just to beat him! XD
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I defeated Yuber in the Anceitn Highway the other day actually. I just had to level Hugo enough so he wouldn't die from the first attack. However it took me quite a few tries, and after that battle Yuber was all pissed and later he didn't even seem to remember me beating him :shock:
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Avalionis

Post by Avalionis »

Chaco wrote:I defeated Yuber in the Anceitn Highway the other day actually. I just had to level Hugo enough so he wouldn't die from the first attack. However it took me quite a few tries, and after that battle Yuber was all pissed and later he didn't even seem to remember me beating him :shock:
Yeah I remember that! XD I was like "Come ON! I pwn'ed you earlier in the Ancient Highway! Do NOT deny me that honor!"
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Yeah I remember that! XD I was like "Come ON! I pwn'ed you earlier in the Ancient Highway! Do NOT deny me that honor!"
Yeah, I was pretty surprised that Yuber was that forgetful. :shock:
-Chaco
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

Yuber probably got up right after the duel, turned to everyone around, laughed and said "That didn't just happen!"

Seems like him, the jerk.
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Yuber probably got up right after the duel, turned to everyone around, laughed and said "That didn't just happen!"

Yuber wold be like "Oh, you totally used Action Replay!!"
-Chaco
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

Dammit, now I need to make an icon of Yuber saying "WTF HAX!!1!"
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, I thought getting an answer to this would be an interesting challenge, but spending a month trying to do the duel just so didn't appeal to me. So I did the "WTF HAX!" route and made it so I couldn't possibly lose. I tried two different outcomes, standstill (seems to happen after a small, but perhaps random number of rounds), and victory. Neither one results in anything interesting. Hugo wakes up in the bed, and Joe scolds him just the same as always. The only interesting thing about it is that this duel only uses part of the programming used by other duels, and that implies that it is indeed just a script intended to provide a small illusion of interactivity. Although I do think it's a bit of a credit to the programmers that the game didn't just crash when I putzed with it, and achieved an otherwise impossible outcome. The PSX games probably would have gone down in flames or glitched horrifically.

If you're interested in seeing for yourself, here's the code I used:

Code: Select all

200C0300 00E0A02D
200C0304 0005A00A <- No damage to player
200C0308 34017FFF <- OPP: paired with next line
200C030C 0025A00B <- OPP: These two lines cause huge damage to opponent
200C0310 085FF451
217FD13C 080300C0
You can remove the OPP lines if you want a "fair" fight. With them in place, he goes down in one blow.

You probably won't want this code on except for in the duel. I'm pretty sure it will give your party leader infinite HP at all times, and cause instant death for everything else (I haven't tried yet).
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I have to admit I do hax a lot to get impossible results, but I never once haxed in Suikoden 3. In Suikoden 2 I haxed once to put Jowy into my party after the fight with Salon Jee. It was awesome, I had both the Jowy with the blue tank top and the Jowy with the Sword fighitng in the same battle! (OMG HAX!). I never hax a game until I've played it at least 2-3 times though unless it's a game I rented and need to beat before I have to return it. Haxing however blew up my Dark Cloud 2 so I am more careful now.
-Chaco
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i forgot if the Hugo chapter 1 vs Chris duel is fixed.... it ends very quickly in only 2-3 turns.... can Hugo defeat Chris?

Perhaps you can produce some weird results with the Melville vs Guillaime duel as well!
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Nah, Melville vs. Guillaume is where I did my first bit of testing. I thought that duel was entirely winnable--however difficult it might be to do so--within the context of the game. At any rate, if you win, Melville is still on the floor quivering while Guillaume gloats.

I played through all of Hugo's chapters to get to the Yuber duel. I didn't notice a duel between Hugo and Chris in chapter 1. I take it I should have tried the, "angry", option instead of questioning her? I think I have a save near there, so I'll give it a shot.

Edit: Ok, so how does that duel normally end? I think I only went that route once or twice in all my previous times through the game. If you win, the duel ends with Chris and Hugo facing off, and Salome and Joe get between them. I'm thinking it's nothing out of the ordinary, but most of the guides I've found pretty much ignore that duel.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i am pretty sure the outcome you got wasn't any different. so the game just gives you these duels and once they end, it continues with the next scene... no special scenes if you win.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

no special scenes if you win.
Which is sad because I went through a lot to defeat Yuber!! I have not defeated Chris yet but I hope to one day. I did beat Guillaume with Melville and was disapointed when the outcome was the same!
-Chaco
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i thought you can't take Guillaime's HP down after it reaches a certain point....
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I'd have to say that's true based on my experience. At first I thought it was because Hugo was very high level compared to Melville, and the game was setting Guillaume's stats based on Hugo, leaving poor Melville horribly outclassed. But after smacking him once, his HP wouldn't go down any more, no matter how much or how hard Melville hit. Without the instant death part of the code on, that is.