Is Suikoden Educational?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
cyra_flome

Post by cyra_flome »

ShonnyS wrote:when i played suikoden for the first time, the game was so cool, so interesting and awesome that i took my english dictionary and began to play because i didnt know a thing about english you know, a THING...
Hahaha, same here! :D
Suikoden series encouraged me to improve my english. Every time I understood a sentence, I felt so happy and it made me remember the vocabularies.

Aside of English, Suikoden series also taught me to see things from different points of view :D
I believe in you..always
Because we shared so much..
-Suikoden2Opening-
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

Yeah it helped improve my english. But i already was able to defend myself with it (I guess it was Zelda in the Super Nes my point for learning english :lol: )
Suikoden IS educational. But not for only learning english. It teaches you how to overcome hard times not giving up, it teaches you hate is an unnecessary and dangerous feeling, it teaches you to ignore diferences since all of us are different and a long etc...
noble_gases

Re: Is Suikoden Educational?

Post by noble_gases »

Yez, I believe it is.
It improved my vocabulary and my comprehension skills.
haha
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Yup, I learned some pretty interesting words like "plenipotentiary" and etc....

I also improved my battle strategies and applied them to real-life......I now think like I'm always at war with Highland. Then I win the situation.

:P :P
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Quing

Post by Quing »

Suikoden hasn't helped me that much. I learned the word entourage. Yea, me! It has, however, greatly improved my seven-year-old brother's reading skills. When you learn to read, you learn by reading stuff. For my brother, that was mostly Suikoden IV. Seeing the improvement has been darned near miraculous. It isn't that Suikoden is the only method by which someone can learn, but it is one of many.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

To be specific, it helped my Politics-Fiction perspective and imagination.
Kagiya

Post by Kagiya »

I guess it gave me some ideas for storyline and characters but honestly I read a lot of fantasy novels anyways. Although, the suikogaiden games gave me push to learn more kanji. I'm not really into manga and my parents never sent me to Japanese school (a school set up to help Japanese kids living here to learn Japanese grammar and such) like some of my other friends.
promethez

Post by promethez »

strange that so many people did not know the word entourage pior to suikoden. If you want to improve your vocabulary, you might as well read a story book. I thought final fantasy uses some pretty good words occasionally.
Quing

Post by Quing »

Yeah, I read plenty, but I simply hadn't encountered the word "entourage." And Final Fantasy has the occasional vocabulary word as well. I learned both escutcheon and subservient from FF Tactics. One's vocabulary increases in small ways.
Saori

Post by Saori »

Well, personally, Suikoden has helped here and there. It gives you various insights in a very interactive method. It's as if you're reading a good book and actually learning from it xD;

But then again, RPG games in general have quite the extensive vocabulary. Not just Suikoden.
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Suikoden stimulates the imagination, hence, it also cultivates the learning process.

(Maybe I should've added that to my anthropology project.......(-_-)...)
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Waaaaah! Suikoden is educational for me..
Why?

Let's say I wouldn't be communicating with you in this language without the game. XD

Suikoden, SII especially, played a VERY IMPORTANT role in the enhancement of my English lang. knowledge. When I ws around 8, I played SII endlessly- repeating it all over again without tiredness and that's why I excel in Spelling tests till now! Those English texts were a big help!

*sigh* thanks to this thread, I knew how much Suikoden did to me.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

well the game's probably not exactly accurate, but it does give you a general idea of the real suikoden mythology. i love mythology, and maybe it was partially suikoden that made me realize that?

math and science? not really, but they are inspiring stories.
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

Linguistics? No...

I'm more fascinated by the smooth way the game displays our various cultures and societies. 8)
"In war, truth is the first casualty" ~ Aeschylus
dkwrtw

Post by dkwrtw »

Not really, well, maybe for some people, I really don't know, I didn't learn anything new from it.