Character stats in major battles

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Felicitycat

Character stats in major battles

Post by Felicitycat »

Does leveling up have any bearing on the stats that the groups have in the major battles? I am at a major battle in Suiko1. I tried a couple of times, and failed. I haven't played for a while, but I think I remember some of the groups' attack power being kinda low. So I'm leveling everybody up. Is this valid, or am I wasting my time?
You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes?
Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?
Fuma

Post by Fuma »

Unfortunately, levelling up your characters does not affect their war battle stats.
Formerly True Wind Bearer AKA Sir Spam-a-lot.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

However, most major battles that aren't plot looses are cumulative for troops. In other words if you had lots of troops left over in the last major battle you did those will be added to your total in the next battle. What messes this up is Milich's flower attack and Teo's first battle as they decimate your troops for the plot and there's nothing you can do about it.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

really? i thought it was based on number of recruited (and alive) Stars.
Felicitycat

Post by Felicitycat »

Really? Okay, I'll try to remember that!

And too bad about the troops getting wiped out...
You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes?
Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?
Wicht

More, more, more!

Post by Wicht »

Here is something that can help you!

First off the game battle system is always the same, go through the battle and write down the Empire's attacks, it'll be the same. Reset your game and counter all their attacks with the proper Rock, Paper, Scissors that wins over their attack.

Also, the low stats are usually due to having someone missing from that particular group. So, the more SOD's you have, the better the combo groups are, maxing out usually with three people for best results, so recruit everyone you can before advancing the plot.

This ALSO helps increasing the amount of Soliders are your disposal. For every character that joins you, they bring along other people to your cause, basically simular to Suikoden 3, everyone has a certain 'underling' count, though it is impossible to count; its random.

As for plot places, such as Rose Palace and Tir's father's battle. Pay attention to their attack and counter with the best course of action, such as Tir's Horse attack, even though you get slaughtered anyways, its attack so use magic. For the Rose Palace, the attack is magic, so use archers. It doesn't help a lot but, at least you feel good about doing it. (It really doesn't matter what you use per se, but the proper counter for a charge on attack does help; least makes me feel accomplished while my ass is served to me. But, do what ever you want for these two battles, so long as you follow the rest, you should have a high count army by end of game.)

Last thing, for every battle you win, following my advice, the more soliders you'll have every battle following, so always save before advancing the story battles. You'll be happy with the results. For example at the final Battle at Gregminster, I had 24, 568 soliders, give or take a 100. I hope this helps, you or anyone for that matter. (This also included that all 108 SOD's are alive and recruited!)
Last edited by Wicht on Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lemmy Claypool

Re: More, more, more!

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Wicht wrote:As for plot places, such as Rose Palace and Tir's father's battle. Pay attention to their attack and counter with the best course of action, such as Tir's Horse attack, even though you get slaughtered anyways, its attack so use magic.
Actually, when fighting Teo for the first time it makes no difference what you use, as he'll always win the round without any casualties. As for the second time, your best bet is to continually use charge. Using bow or magic usually wields more casualties for you rather than for him.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

KFCrispy wrote:really? i thought it was based on number of recruited (and alive) Stars.
I didn't realize it either until I was reading through one of the FAQs on Game FAQs, it says the following:
MAJOR BATTLE STRATEGY: Battle at Fortress of Garan

The enemy only has 6,000 troops here, and unless you did horribly
against Kwanda, you should have more than them. You gained about 4,000 more
troops since your last battle. Use Krin and Giovanni to attempt to find
their strategy, and remember to use the Strategists if you need to charge.
MAJOR BATTLE STRATEGY: Battle at Scarleticia Castle (I)

You'll be facing 12,000 troops with whatever you had left over from the
last battle. YOU CAN NOT WIN HERE. Milich will use an attack called
"Poisonous Pollen", and after one of these Mathiu will order the retreat. It
is an extremely damaging attack, and there seems to be no way to minimise
casualties.
I think the "you'll gain about 4000 more troops" is a gain based on recruiting stars of destiny, so I think you're also correct, but that's just a guess.

A. Nickerson, the writer of the FAQ, states that your troops are based on how many you have left over from the last battle. I found this to be true when playing through the game once I was looking for it. But, feel free to do some more research into it to disprove him.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

If it is based off of the amount of troops from the previous battle, then it's definitely not the only contributing factor. Recruiting Maximillian and Sancho adds the same amount of troops every time, since I've always recruited them by themselves between the two major battles between them.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes I think you will gain left over troops plus those collected from recruiting stars of destiny. Plus, I think there are some plot related gains too, someone says at one point "the remaining liberation army soldiers have joined our ranks". I wonder if a SOD joined at the same time and those came with him or if you just gained a flat amount because of plot at that time.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Oppenheimer wrote:Yes I think you will gain left over troops plus those collected from recruiting stars of destiny. Plus, I think there are some plot related gains too, someone says at one point "the remaining liberation army soldiers have joined our ranks". I wonder if a SOD joined at the same time and those came with him or if you just gained a flat amount because of plot at that time.
Dousn't that happen when the Old Liberation Army joins you?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes, it does. I'm just wondering over the detail of if it is the actual plot scripted "old liberation army joins so troops go up 8000" or if it's "Humphrey and Flik join, Humphrey = 4000 troops, Flik = 4000 troops" or something like that. In other words is it a plot related gain or just another SOD gain.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Oppenheimer wrote:Yes, it does. I'm just wondering over the detail of if it is the actual plot scripted "old liberation army joins so troops go up 8000" or if it's "Humphrey and Flik join, Humphrey = 4000 troops, Flik = 4000 troops" or something like that. In other words is it a plot related gain or just another SOD gain.
Eh both. The Old Liberation army was under the control of Humphrey,Flik and the others that joined(I can't remember their/his name).So when Flik and the others joined the Old Liberation army joined with them so its Flik,humphrey=8000.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Forgive me if I"m wrong here, but you're saying that Humphrey and Flik joined the new liberation army at the same time and brought 8000 soldiers with them?

Humphrey joins before the battle with Kwanda Rosman. Flik joins with the stragglers that were taking refuge in Milich's Domain which is well after attacking Kwanda Rosman.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I think we're misunderstanding each other. I was just giving a theoretical example to prove two possible system-programming speculations. I am just analysing system programming, not actual plot analysis. I'm trying to discover how the system keeps track of troop totals, whether it bases it upon only SOD recruited with each having a certain with them or if the programming is more segregated. 4000 is just an example. I will try and be more specific and accurate. Please note this is an example and the numbers are just estimations:

ProgrammingA Character specific additions:
~ Troop Total 5 000
*Valeria Joins* Valeria = 500 troops
~ Troop Total 5 500
*Humphrey Joins* Humphrey = 2 000 troops
~ Troop Total 7500
--Fight Battle at Pannu Yakuta Castle--
--Lose 1 000 troops in battle
~ Troop Total 6 500
*Sylvina Joins* Sylvina = 200 troops
*Stallion Joins* = 300 troops
*Flik Joins* Flik = 3 000 troops
~ Troop Total 10 000
--Fight Battle Battle at Fortress of Garan
--Lose 500 troops
~ Troop Total 9 500
etc.

ProgrammingB Extra coding:
~ Troop Total 5 000
@Plot happens: Old Liberation army join with elves
*Troop = Troop + 2000
~ Troop Total 7500
--Fight Battle at Pannu Yakuta Castle--
--Lose 1 000 troops in battle
~ Troop Total 6 500
@Plot happens: Flik brings army stragglers, kobolds join
*Troop = Troop + 3 500
~ Troop Total 10 000
--Fight Battle Battle at Fortress of Garan
--Lose 500 troops
~ Troop Total 9 500

Or a combination of the two could happen. That's what I'm wondering, how the troops calculations are calculated programming wise.