skills system

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well if it's the same as Suikoden 3, speed might be able to affect swing rate... try a Gale Rune on someone that seems to have a 'light' weapon or just fists??
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

Battle Lust is a must must MUST have for all fighters, while you may want to max out the skill level for mages on, at the very least, their particular attribute and rune used. Also, I have a long standing love for raising Critical Hits. Just a personal preference here cuz, man, I love when it pays off :D

There's no predetermined or set way to divide the skill points. That's what makes this system so great. Sure, you can give all your fighters the same exact skills, but checking their natural abilities may make you feel differently. For example...Trishtan has incredible speed, so you may not want to fill one of his spots with a speed booster, but opt instead for a strength or movement one in it's place. Or, you may take this to the next level and give him the speed booster, allowing for a quicker turn rate. It's simply the joy of the skills system. Lots of options. And certain skills only being available for particular characters only highten this plethora of choices. Things like this make me happy :D
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

SPD doesn't seem to affect much. Kika had four swings before adding the Gale Rune, and now she still has four swings. Gets more turns, though.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

patapi wrote: Otherwise, Jump is pretty much essential for most of the mage types. Unless you do the Iwadori+Switch trick.
I haven't tried it yet as I'm reticent to spend skill points on thing when I'm not sure what they do. So what exactly does Jump do?
Silvermouse

Post by Silvermouse »

My guess is that Jump is used for increased mobility over areas with varying heights. For example, characters can't move from a 1 height location to a 4 height location, they have to find a step. With Jump, maybe you don't need the step.

As for SPD, my guess is that it determines your place in the combat order.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

You can see the height of a terrain when the tile is selected. Jump increases the jump range (viewable in the character's status menu) by 1, so they can leap up to higher elevations.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Riding Tsunouma decreases jump. While they can go up that can't seem to go down. I first experienced this problem in Haruna when trying to ride a Tsunouma towards Simeon and finding myself unable.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Ezekiel

Post by Ezekiel »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:Riding Tsunouma decreases jump. While they can go up that can't seem to go down. I first experienced this problem in Haruna when trying to ride a Tsunouma towards Simeon and finding myself unable.

Odd that you say that. Only 5 minutes ago i was in Haruna, and sent Sigurd on a Tsunouma towards Simeon. I got stuck, and said to myself "Seems they can go up, not down."

Guess you took the words right out of my mouth.

And with the skill that says "has a chance of recovering life near death" Does this mean if you get hit and fall to low health, it may be restored, or if you get all your hp depleted, theres a chance it will give you another shot at life?
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Yeah, you regain HP if you're near death, not if your HP falls to 0. I've never risked seeing the skill come to fruition, myself, but the Skeletons in Obel Ruins use it and it kicks in when they have low HP not when their HP is at zero.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

is the HP recovery 100% (one-time per battle only i suppose) for the skeletons?

do special rune attacks take into account your increased "base dmg" like S3?
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

No, it's not 100%. It appears to be about 20%.

To answer your second question, it would appear so.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

What are you calling 'base dmg'? Are you referring to the runic attacks being affected by the number of swings a character has?

I don't know the answer. Just clarifying your question.

If it is true, I'll have to remember to put Battle Lust on Kika. I had avoided it because I rely so much on her runic attack.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah damage that included number of swings like Suikoden 3. angelis says "yes" .. ^_^