Gay Characters

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
snakebite105

Re: Gay Characters

Post by snakebite105 »

i think the best option is if no one cared.

If no one cared whether someone was gay, black, jewish or a potato then the world would be happier an blah blah blah.

The real poison is people bringing it up and treating it as a signifigant point outside of actually achomplishing a goal to gain rights for a person of that status because most likely unless your actually working to a real goal to help people your probably just going to start an argument.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

RangerDeon wrote:I don't think that dude clocked enough screen time to promote such accusations.
Ya that and no one mentioned HER before I said anything anyway. So in truth there were no accusations.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Homosexuality isn't a bad thing, so I see nothing wrong with wondering whether a character is gay or not, as long as it isn't in disgust. My friend, Alexa, spent hours trying to convince me that Squall (FFVIII) was gay. And it's funny because it wasn't to sully his name or reputation, it's just something she wanted. Doesn't mean it's true, but it's just her little fantasy. No harm done.

Now if she was all "eww Squall is gay, I hate FFVIII" then that's a problem.

I think it would be great if a game would include a gay character and he not be the comedic relief with an annoying crush on the main character. It seems that some game series creators like to stick with the stereotypes and when implementing character personalities they choose the most negative aspects of that certain group.

It'll be nice to see a character in a popular game series (Suikoden, Final Fantasy. . etc) where there is an openly gay man who doesn't promote every negative stereotype provided for homosexual men. It'll be nice to see that. It'll be extremely nice to see that as a main character a not someone who just supplies one-liners. But, of course that would never happen considering the target demographic for these games.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

RangerDeon wrote:Homosexuality isn't a bad thing, so I see nothing wrong with wondering whether a character is gay or not, as long as it isn't in disgust. My friend, Alexa, spent hours trying to convince me that Squall (FFVIII) was gay. And it's funny because it wasn't to sully his name or reputation, it's just something she wanted. Doesn't mean it's true, but it's just her little fantasy. No harm done.

I think it would be great if a game would include a gay character and he not be the comedic relief with an annoying crush on the main character. It seems that some game series creators like to stick with the stereotypes and when implementing character personalities they choose the most negative aspects of that certain group.

It'll be nice to see a character in a popular game series (Suikoden, Final Fantasy. . etc) where there is an openly gay man who doesn't promote every negative stereotype provided for homosexual men. It'll be nice to see that. It'll be extremely nice to see that as a main character a not someone who just supplies one-liners. But, of course that would never happen considering the target demographic for these games.

What i said went right over your head.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

snakebite105 wrote: What i said went right over your head.
Hmm? I wasn't referring to you in that speech. I was speaking in general.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
grumble_cakes

Post by grumble_cakes »

snakebite105 wrote:i think the best option is if no one cared.

If no one cared whether someone was gay, black, jewish or a potato then the world would be happier an blah blah blah.
but the fact is people DO care and one way to help fix it is to give minorities fair representation in popular culture.
snakebite105 wrote:The real poison is people bringing it up and treating it as a signifigant point outside of actually achomplishing a goal to gain rights
lol did you copy paste that from the Straight White Boy Privilege handbook? Who are you to say what counts as a worthy goal?
Last edited by grumble_cakes on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Much like it doesn't matter that Dumbledore is gay so it is the same with any character in Suikoden. If a character in the series is gay there's nothing wrong with it and it doesn't make them a pansy, even the Narcissit characters are not pansy's.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

RangerDeon wrote:Homosexuality isn't a bad thing, so I see nothing wrong with wondering whether a character is gay or not, as long as it isn't in disgust. My friend, Alexa, spent hours trying to convince me that Squall (FFVIII) was gay. And it's funny because it wasn't to sully his name or reputation, it's just something she wanted. Doesn't mean it's true, but it's just her little fantasy. No harm done.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said there. P3 had a female character that basically stood outside of Mitsuru's classroom and gave one-liners about how much she had a crush on her. It made her look like an obsessed lesbian that didn't have a life or thoughts other than Mitsuru. A more developed female character who liked her but was less obsessed would have been much better. As for the target demographic, I read recently that the reason the first half of Persona 2 wasn't released due to a possible gay social link. That makes me sad, to miss out on what I hear is a great game due to a gay scene, which is optional, mind you, and no more graphic than the straight couples' scenes. But I guess that's why J-RPGs don't include gay main characters, since the US may not publish them and they get less money. That's a pretty old game though, and hopefully things have gotten better over the years and people are more tolerant. I wonder if such a game would be released now in 2009.

Sorry about the non-Suikoden examples, but those were all I could think of.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

Blutigengel wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said there. P3 had a female character that basically stood outside of Mitsuru's classroom and gave one-liners about how much she had a crush on her. It made her look like an obsessed lesbian that didn't have a life or thoughts other than Mitsuru. A more developed female character who liked her but was less obsessed would have been much better. As for the target demographic, I read recently that the reason the first half of Persona 2 wasn't released due to a possible gay social link. That makes me sad, to miss out on what I hear is a great game due to a gay scene, which is optional, mind you, and no more graphic than the straight couples' scenes. But I guess that's why J-RPGs don't include gay main characters, since the US may not publish them and they get less money. That's a pretty old game though, and hopefully things have gotten better over the years and people are more tolerant. I wonder if such a game would be released now in 2009.

Has anyone said that homosexuality is a bad thing so far?
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

There are a few posts that imply that there is something wrong with it yes.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Well, the people that do think that probably wouldn't come right out and bluntly say it, either.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

Blutigengel wrote:Well, the people that do think that probably wouldn't come right out and bluntly say it, either.
Cause otherwise if theres no antaginist to the conversation it just ends up with all of us agreeing with each otherl.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Well, the topic wasn't about being against gay people or not, it was about which characters in Suikoden could be gay, and that many people do disagree on since it never comes out and shows/says anything.
Calloe

Post by Calloe »

Blutigengel wrote:

How many gamers would they lose if they had openly gay characters, anyway? Gamers and people on the internet seem to generally be liberal in that regard. I rarely come across any conservative religious people in online games, and the online gamers seem to be the same crowd who play the console games.
Last edited by Calloe on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

I guess it's kind of interesting to know or wonder about it's just some people get very defensive about it. Like with Viktor, I saw a few posts get quite annoyed with the idea that if he was he'd be some sort of weakling because of it.