Was Troy really that bad of a person?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Vincent of Scarlet Moon

Post by Vincent of Scarlet Moon »

Troy chose to die, he didn't want to survive, he allowed himself to lose his life.
Blue Sasarai

Post by Blue Sasarai »

even lino said " what a waste of life" when troy let himself die, sure was.
"i hate you more than anything in this world.
but at the same time, you're the only one i empathize with."

-luc to sasarai
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

Sure, it was Windy who twisted the Empire but he also appointed corrupt people to govern his lands. Kraze is an example of this. He also had Neclord ruling a region and all the loyal and noble Generals were controlled by the Black Runes given to them by Windy. Needless to say, Barabarossa let it all happen so while he was not evil, he was still responsible.

Troy on the other hand never had a real part in the atrocities Cray and the Governor did. He just followed orders. I bet if it was for him the Island Nations would have been more easily taken, seeing as there woudln't have been as much hatred against Kooluk.
Hmm...
Sir Troy

Post by Sir Troy »

Blue Sasarai wrote:even lino said " what a waste of life" when troy let himself die, sure was.
I remember what Troy said to Hero before that, something like "Let us meet again on this sea someday". And he also said "this is how I hoped it would end". So there is still a chance that Troy is alive.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Saying how he hoped it would end signifies a statement of finality, meaning the conclusion of some event. Troy wished to die and return to the ocean and did just that. Troy is quite dead and seems to be pleased with how it occured.
Vincent of Scarlet Moon

Post by Vincent of Scarlet Moon »

It's obvious that Helmut is from Kooluk.

Troy is dead, the scene was to give finality to his character, his belief in things etc, anything else would be cheapning what Konami tried to do with his character.
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

It's sad how his fans cling to any hope of him being alive. No, he is not alive. He challenged Hero to a duel, lost and accepted his faith. He died with his ship, is that so hard to understand?

Anyway, I'm in the belief the Island Nations would have easilly being dominated by Kooluk if they had left Troy had his way. The guy managed to convince the people of Na-Nal to join peacefully with Kooluk and Kooluk could easily make Obel and Razril surrender. I think the attack on Illuya damaged their possibilities more than it helped.
Hmm...
ReikenGaryu

Post by ReikenGaryu »

Troy was a waste. He could've made the story worthwhile... Perhaps the entire essence of this story is ''tough luck'. More could've happened, but he died a miserable death. That's usually the way legends die in real life anyway. Romantic deaths are cliché...
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Troy at Na-nal

Post by Oppenheimer »

I think some of the villagers in Na-nal island, when it's under Kooluk control, mention that Troy came around and examined their lifestyle before he came in with the troops. He told them that there would be no disruption to their lifestyle. He's always displayed as an honourable character, a man of his word, I think he meant it. It was just that the soldiers freaked out when they received the elven poison and that's what started the violence. But, I think if you're a conquer you couldn't be any "nicer" than Troy. However, he's still a conqueror, he just tries to be a noble one.
ReikenGaryu

Post by ReikenGaryu »

He wanted to reincarnate... Basically, in the Japanese version, what he said was to meet again in another life.
Sir Troy

Post by Sir Troy »

xXSqualleoNXx wrote:It's sad how his fans cling to any hope of him being alive. No, he is not alive. He challenged Hero to a duel, lost and accepted his faith. He died with his ship, is that so hard to understand?
I know it's a small chance, but what he said (" let us meet again on this sea someday") gives me hope of him being alive.
Blue Sasarai

Post by Blue Sasarai »

ReikenGaryu wrote:He wanted to reincarnate... Basically, in the Japanese version, what he said was to meet again in another life.
yea but how would u know it was him O_o thats all to messed up.
i think they just killed him off because they had no idea what else to do with him. happens. easiest way to end something apparently.
"i hate you more than anything in this world.
but at the same time, you're the only one i empathize with."

-luc to sasarai
ReikenGaryu

Post by ReikenGaryu »

Blue Sasarai wrote:
ReikenGaryu wrote:He wanted to reincarnate... Basically, in the Japanese version, what he said was to meet again in another life.
yea but how would u know it was him O_o thats all to messed up.
i think they just killed him off because they had no idea what else to do with him. happens. easiest way to end something apparently.
You wouldn't know it was him. That's not the point, hehe.

Killing Troy was a bad call on Konami's part. Leaving his end a bit vague for future use would've been useful, perhaps, but that all depends on where they are going with the story from here on.

Troy simply returns to the sea, being the Son of the Sea God. It's like going home. His job as a soldier, a human, is done. Or at least that might be the metaphor in it.
jeane is the coolest char

Post by jeane is the coolest char »

would the way Troy chose to die be considered suicide?
i have bad grammer >.<
Jeane is my hero
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

jeane is the coolest char wrote:would the way Troy chose to die be considered suicide?
I would suppose so, since the Hero could offer for him to join, and Troy rejects the offer, choosing to let himself die.