Was Troy really that bad of a person?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
silverwolf

Post by silverwolf »

hmm if Troy really is the Son of The Sea god then why did his fleet got kicked by Hero4's fleet? and why would he rely with the Rune Cannon if he is the child of the sea god he can actually command the seas and swallow Hero4's fleet...
Just like BoundlessDream said the Child Of The Sea God is only a title... if i remember correctly the Kooluk generals along with the governor discussed their strategy in their southern campaign and the governor said " We have the Child Of The Sea God" or something like that if they knew the Troy was the literal Child of The Sea God then they should have feared him or used him as a secret weapon.
Troy was nickedname Child of The Sea God bec. of his victorious naval battles, especially in the battle againsts Razril Marines, his swordsmanship and battle prowess might also helped him rise up to be named Child Of the Sea God.
..although it would have been nice if troy was the last main boss of Suiko4 where he could have change into a monstrous leviathan.. hehehe
...the only way to remove a warrior's bloodlust is to give his own blood in the battlefield....
TheBoundlessDream

Post by TheBoundlessDream »

Nah nah that isnt in Troy's character or nature..
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

What? To change into a sea creature? That doesn't sound far enough to happen, hoho.
TheBoundlessDream

Post by TheBoundlessDream »

Yeah for Troy to turn into a sea creature, he just doesnt seem that type of guy.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Something kind of interesting is learned about Troy in Suikoden Tactics. I won't comment about his current status, since that's borderline spoilage, although common sense should reveal the truth to you. Apparently, Troy was part of the Imperial Faction; meaning, he is/was of imperial blood. I found that to be interesting; that is, of course, unless the citizens of Graska enjoy lying to unassuming teenagers.
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

Troy, his to me what Teo was, Almost. A loyal general and very strong in skill and tactics. But both die against a child and his army, Of course with the help of two great tatichans!
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
YouKnowYouGeddoe

Post by YouKnowYouGeddoe »

Whether Troy was strong or weak or a sea monster or whatever is irrelevant. What makes him an interesting character (in my opinion, anyway) is that he was the last great Kooluk hero - he represented the best quality of the Kooluk, discipline, and never sunk to the depths of petty squabbling that characterized the imperial/patriarchal conflict.

However, he was born too late, arriving at a time when his superiors had no use for his gifts. He led one good campaign - a brilliant campaign, actually - against the Gaien, and then the fractured, weakening Kooluk government, propped up by self-interested corporate entities like Cray Trading Company, used him as a pawn, throwing him at the united Island Nations as a means of obtaining a rune in which he had no interest and in which his people had no stake.

But the thing is: He was willing to be a pawn. He knew, I think, that he served a dying country, and he also knew that his job was to get out there and be the Child of the Sea God even if it were for a lost and meaningless cause that would accomplish nothing for his dear homeland. Like a Hemingway bullfighter, Troy loved his patria and he loved his métier, and even though his patria was beyond redemption, he saw the beauty in the exercise of his métier nevertheless.

Of course, this is something we can say about Troy only because we know what happened in Suikoden Tactics. I refer you to my earlier point about the "incompleteness" of Suikoden IV.