Chris and Borus

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Yubers-Apprentice

Post by Yubers-Apprentice »

I'd imagine she'd be quite a mess.
I've beaten Suikoden 1,Suikoden 2,Suikoden 3,Suikoden 4

I still have to beat Suikoden 5...

"Patience is a Virtue"

"If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life then let's all get drunk and have a good
time."
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

Yubers-Apprentice wrote:I'd imagine she'd be quite a mess.
I doubt it. She is a knight and she knows that none of them are invulnerable in the battlefield. She would accept the death, mourn for it and probably blame herself if the knight she loves died because she couldn't protect him (or he protected her). But she'd pull herself together because her duties are important as well.
Sid: He he he...
Riou: ??
Sid: Hoo Hoo Hoo HAHAHAHA!
sarady

Post by sarady »

I agree with Moonbay. Chris does have a wall around herself. This wall was built over the years to shield herself from emotional pain that accompanies the relationships one has with others. Its foundation lies in the "death" of her father (Wyatt), her mother's following death, and the alienation she faced while in training for the knighthood. She distances herself out of reflex.

She's most likely been slandered as the girl who slept her way into the knighthood. (This is briefly mentioned in the manga, but one could argue that the manga is just glorified fanfiction.) This is all hypothetical, but even with the praise Chris is given for being the Silver Maiden she might still be resented. She's unique in her standing, and usually such a standing garners resentment as well as respect. This resentment would be was causes her alienation.

Digression aside, it's not as if all the loose strings are always tied up neatly. Consider the idea that Harmonia might once again send HVG members after the Rune. I don't think that this was even implied in the game, but look at Harmonia's track record. The second the unofficial 50 year treaty made with the Flame Champion ended, Harmonia marched in.

Chris cares for her fellow knights and the well being of Zexen as a whole. My opinion is that, barring any threatening action from Harmonia, Chris would remain Captain only until the few bonds she maintained within the knighthood ended, i.e. everyone has died or moved on. She would then resign and lead a life somewhere else. It's unknown whether she has any extended family, so one can assume that they don't exist. There's no family to hold her back.

I personally can't see Chris ending up with Hugo, mainly due to the Lulu incident and the wide gap between their cultures. While the two might one day become very close and reach a deep understanding of each other, the wall around Chris's heart would assert itself.

But then again, time heals all wounds. And they've got all the time in the world.

We'll probably never get an answer from Konami, as they are wont to leave things in the gray areas. :roll: Got to love it.
An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. — H. L. Mencken
jonathan_priest

The emotional walls

Post by jonathan_priest »

I don't think her emotional "walls" are as big a deal as everyone says. I mean, sure, she simply shakes her head and rolls her eyes when someone says she's beautiful, but I think that's because she's more dedicated to her duties. She puts the needs of Zexen before herself and has never given much thought to being anything other than a knight.

But people who are genuinely emotionally closed off are afraid of making friends or emotional commitments because they fear getting hurt. They stay in one place, shrug off invitations and don't have many friends. If Chris was truly without friends, she never would have agreed to accompany Percival to the festival. Of course, he and Salome are the only one of the knights that treat her as a person and not some idol to be worshiped. Sorry, but if Borus asked her to the festival, it would have been a "date" in his mind at least. But the point is, she does have friends outside of work she meets with on occasion. But for right now, work is her life and I don't think that'll be changing anytime soon. Though I would like to see her get a backbone when dealing with the Council. Those guys will end up destroying Zexen.

As for Hugo's anger over Lulu's death, sorry but the very end sequence, if you pick Hugo as the FC showed that he's still angry but he'll get over it or at least move past it. He's come to respect Chris as a person. I think perhaps there may be too much distance in their cultures to be a strong love interest...at least right now.

I still pull for Louis myself. Despite the arguments that Chris would see Louis as a child even when he's in his twenties, I disagree. She sees him as a little brother right now. Eventually, I think their relationship will change when he becomes a knight and she will stop thinking of him as a brother and more as a comrade. And when everyone says it can't happen because Chris will always see him in the role of her squire, again I disagree. Chris may consider Louis a friend, but Louis doesn't feel that way. Obviously some scenes in the game show that much. Right now I see it as hero worship...they'll both need to change and evolve as the dynamics of their relationship changes. I certainly think there's potential. Again though, that may be 10-15 years down the road, when Louis' age has caught up to Chris.

Might be material for an interesting fan fic at any rate.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
sarady

Post by sarady »

Well, I didn't mean that her emotional "walls" were unable to be breached. It's more like Chris shields herself emotionally and physically. She's very distanced from her comrades. As you pointed out she does have strong relationships with her fellow knights, as well as others. And her duty to Zexen is her priority at the moment.

It would be nice for her to kick the Council's rear. They deserve it so much.
An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. — H. L. Mencken
Moonbay

Re: The emotional walls

Post by Moonbay »

jonathan_priest wrote:I don't think her emotional "walls" are as big a deal as everyone says. I mean, sure, she simply shakes her head and rolls her eyes when someone says she's beautiful, but I think that's because she's more dedicated to her duties. She puts the needs of Zexen before herself and has never given much thought to being anything other than a knight.
I don't think her reaction to the compliment is a dedication to her duties, but maybe a "oh, great, what do they want now?" kind of reaction. Since, after all the work she's put into being a knight, people still see her as nothing more as woman to be complimented.

Cecile's reaction to Chris was one of the best reactions Chris probably ever saw. Here was a child who admired Chris for all her abilities and attributes--the whole person. Not just one side or the other.
kuroinekokun

Re: The emotional walls

Post by kuroinekokun »

Moonbay wrote:
jonathan_priest wrote:I don't think her emotional "walls" are as big a deal as everyone says. I mean, sure, she simply shakes her head and rolls her eyes when someone says she's beautiful, but I think that's because she's more dedicated to her duties. She puts the needs of Zexen before herself and has never given much thought to being anything other than a knight.
I don't think her reaction to the compliment is a dedication to her duties, but maybe a "oh, great, what do they want now?" kind of reaction. Since, after all the work she's put into being a knight, people still see her as nothing more as woman to be complimented.

Cecile's reaction to Chris was one of the best reactions Chris probably ever saw. Here was a child who admired Chris for all her abilities and attributes--the whole person. Not just one side or the other.
So does Hugo, if you played him as Flame Champion. Not admire per se, but someone who grew to respect Chris as the 'ironhead' knight.
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

You know, I really can't remember Hugo's reaction...he was the first one I chose as FC, and I haven't played in over a year....

Now I have to play SIII again, too.......

It's such a chore to re-play these.... :P
jeane is the coolest char

Post by jeane is the coolest char »

Moonbay wrote:You know, I really can't remember Hugo's reaction...he was the first one I chose as FC, and I haven't played in over a year....

Now I have to play SIII again, too.......

It's such a chore to re-play these.... :P
he gives her a hug :shock:
i have bad grammer >.<
Jeane is my hero
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

Which sucks because I was expecting a final duel from them dedicating to Lulu's memory. It doesn't matter who wins or lose because in the end, even if Hugo still habor grudges for Chris, he still respects her like a true warrior.

Anyway, this right here caught me thinking about the possibility of Chris/Hugo. Because Hugo doesn't see her as the pretty woman but as the knight she is.

Unless we go all yuri and have a Chris/Cecile! :lol: J/K.
sarady

Post by sarady »

The exact ending is the following: "Chris walks up to Hugo.

Chris: "Is it uncomfortable to be labeled a hero, Hugo?"
Hugo turns toward her: "Yeah! So, I've learned. I've had enough attention for now."
Chris: "I suppose so."
Hugo: "Problem is, I still hold a grudge against you, even though I know it's not the way a hero should act."
Chris nods: "I understand. It's normal for a young boy to hold a grudge.
Even though you're a hero, you're still a boy."

Chris pauses and looks down. She looks back up at Hugo.

Chris: "As Lucia noted, we never know when our paths will cross again. Maybe it'll be in a town or a battlefield. (she puts her hand over her heart) I extend my best wishes and good luck to you in all your endeavors."

Chris extends her hand toward Hugo, who looks at it.

Chris: "This is the Zexen way of saying farewell. Please do not take
offense."
Hugo smiles and shakes her hand: "On occasion."
Sgt. Joe: "Hugo, we are leaving!"

The camera pans to the front of the courtyard, where the Grasslands contingent is waiting. Sgt. Joe is waving toward Hugo.

Hugo: "Yep, I'm coming. (turns back to face Chris) Chris, can you lean forward a little for me?"
Chris: "?"

Chris leans forward, her hands on her thighs, not knowing what to expect. Hugo puts his hands on her shoulders, then embraces her around the neck, with Chris still having the same puzzled expression on her face. The camera pans behind Chris' head and we see that Hugo has a big smile on his face.

Hugo: "I ask the spirits to be with my rival...and comrade. Keep her well
until we meet again."

The camera switches behind Hugo's head and we see Chris looking at him, still puzzled. A smile passes across her face and she hugs Hugo back. They pull back from one another, both still smiling at each other.

Hugo: "This is a Grassland-style farewell. All right. See you, Chris."

Hugo runs off to join up with the Grasslanders. We see Chris in front of the main house, a big smile on her face as she looks in Hugo's direction."

The hug scene is probably what gets most of the HugoXChris people started. It shows (for now) that the two have reached an easy acceptance of each other as well as respect. But he does say he can't forgive her just yet.

(Taken from GameFAQs.
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

But it's not like it would happen in two months after the war. Give it a few years where Hugo finally matures into a man. He will have better judgement and wisdom.
Culture differences can be learned from and reflected upon. I'm sure Chris would want to learn more about Karaya and the other clans if she wants to maintain peace with them and Hugo will have to learn about Zexen if he has to cross paths with the council members (DIE! ...Sorry.)
TendoStar

Post by TendoStar »

ChrisXThomas.........XD
Suikoden Rocks!!!
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

kuroinekokun wrote:But it's not like it would happen in two months after the war. Give it a few years where Hugo finally matures into a man. He will have better judgement and wisdom.
Culture differences can be learned from and reflected upon. I'm sure Chris would want to learn more about Karaya and the other clans if she wants to maintain peace with them and Hugo will have to learn about Zexen if he has to cross paths with the council members (DIE! ...Sorry.)
I get the strange feeling you don't like the Council Members..LOL

I wonder if that's why no weapons are allowed!
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

Hehe... Well, it's hard to like them -shrugs- Especially when they think they're better than everyone and keep on calling the Grasslanders 'Babarians'. This is the reason why I think Hugo will have to learn Zexen culture as well as Chris learns Grassland culture to make their peace valid in a sense.