Graham Cray: The Man of Mystery

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sovereign

Graham Cray: The Man of Mystery

Post by Sovereign »

This man has me perplexed as well as intrigued - but one of the main things that puzzles me is the nature of the power he wields.

What are people's thoughts on this? Ramada told Eleanor to stay away from his wrist/gauntlet/bracer, that it was poisonous. Also It seemed to emit a massive burst of energy before the final battle.

Morover the castle collapse didnt kill him - Is he human?

Feedback and facts pertaining to Cray's powers or his ability to pull death defying feats (surviving castle crushing ) would be appreciated.

On a side note I realize the possibility of him wielding a True Rune has been explored. I want this to be a chance to not only state any strong facts are details that would lead to possible answers - but I also want this to be an inquiry into the nature of his being as well. Even if he were to have a True Rune it doesnt neccesarily make him immortal. As we've obviously seen True Rune bearers die before. Let's all add our two cents to see if we can make some clearer pictures.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Cray surviving the castle collapse is not really a super-human feat. Isn't it possible that only portions of the castle collapsed and he avoided the rocks that fell? He could have just been lucky to not have been crushed by falling structures. I mean, we see Elenor seemed to survive the collapse, as well (recall that she was still inside the castle when it collapsed, as well).

The weapons he shoots out of his gauntlet are poisonous darts..I think Ramada explains this himself. And I don't believe Cray has a True Rune as it is possible to use normal runic powers or simple magic to bring the Tree Monster to life. Another fact that may support the notion that he doesn't have a True Rune is the fact that Cray seems absolutely obsessed with the Rune of Punishment and is pretty much not interested anything else but it.

Sure this does not give actual fact that he does not possess one, but it sort of shows that he would not want to bear any other True Rune besides the Rune of Punishment.
Sovereign

Post by Sovereign »

Thanks for alot of the info - that actually cleared up a few of my inqueries. I know its humanly possible to survive a building collapse, but its highly improbable to survive castle wreckage (possible stone blocks) falling directly on you. I dunno - I watched that wreckage fall a sec ago and it looked like it fell right on top of him. Of course there could've been space beneath but even if there was - how the hell did he get out from under it? This is all based off of observation of course and since we've seen human characters in suikoden who our quite strong in their own right he might be a pretty tough cookie for a human.

Another question? What was the exact cause of the second explosion? Is it known?
Chaos_Zero

Post by Chaos_Zero »

Well, Windy posessed one half of the Gate Rune, and was hell bent on getting the Rune of Life and Death, so it's possible that Cray DID posess a True Rune, yet wanted the RoP.

I'm one who believes he DIDN'T have a True Rune, but I'm not ruling it out.

Such a shame that Konami wasn't clear on what type of rune he had on his right hand, ifit was a rune at all. It may have been some magic power, or a power to summon the Great Tree beast. Who knows? We certainly don't have enough info about him or the Tree itself.
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
josiskrazy

Post by josiskrazy »

Sovereign wrote:Another question? What was the exact cause of the second explosion? Is it known?
i believe it was the Rune Cannon...seems logical.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

I think they would have mentioned that he had a True Rune if he was using its power to give life to the Giant Tree. I don't think Cray was using a True Rune's power as a symbol of the True Rune would have been shown when he used it. The glowing hand may have been him using runic powers, sort of like How Sera's wand glowed when she was using magic to create illusions in Suikoden 3. We don't know the extent of magic that exist in the Suikoden World. It is very possible that there are other magic and runic spells out there that are quite powerful enough to animate an object. I just think they would have told us if the power was the result of a True Rune's power.
lord-of-shadow

Post by lord-of-shadow »

Moreover if it was the cannon, why the hell were Cray and Eleanor lingering for long enough to chat instead of relocating to a more safe location.
When the Rune of Punishment did not find him worthy after the confrontation at the end, I'd imagine that Cray had nothing left to live for. That seemed ot be the sole purpose he had in his life. He, at least, wouldn't care either way if he died.

Don't know about Elenor though.
Sovereign

Post by Sovereign »

Well, I know that there are some other very powerful non-True Rune related magicks in the world of Suikoden. Crowley had some pretty incredible power and he didnt have a True Rune. The thing is he still wasnt quite up to snuff with people who did have a True Rune.

Obviously, since this is all within the realm of fiction its impossible to gauge the amount of magical power required to summon such a beast. We only have the track record of previous game installments to give us an idea of the most likely culprit. I wouldnt be surprised if this was yet another True Rune summoned monster considering that this has been customary of the series up untill now.

As far as Eleanor, Cray, and the final explosion or concerned - I feel its entirely possible that both of them couldve survived. There was a strange air about that whole scene. The both of them seemed as if they were in no real hurry. Furthermore, as I said earlier Cray very well may have been crushed by those stone blocks (Eleanor may have found a safe spot and survived that way.) Either way, Cray is one resilient bastard or he's not quite human.

On another note, the way in which the final explosion was shot did not elude to any sort of time frame in which it took place. Editing can only tell so much. Much of what we observe is merely just that, an observation, and for all we know the final explosion coudlve taken place after Cray and Eleanor's talk and after theyre possible escape. I'm curious to see if we will hear more about the two in a later installment. It would be a shame to have so many questions go unanswered simply because the two were killed off prematurely.
WatcherZero

Post by WatcherZero »

But he was a true run bearer, he had the rune of punishment until someone cut off his arm, we have seen that people who have the true runes for a long time have a lot more power I think that he learnt how do do more powerfull magic from the rune and thats why he wants it back.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Cray cut his own arm off.

Whatever powers he might've gained while in possession of the Rune of Punishment he would've lost as soon as he lost the rune.