Hidden Banquet Scene?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Hidden Banquet Scene?

Post by wataru14 »

I started a minimum recruits playthrough, and I got a scene I never saw before.

During the banquet after Varkas and Sydonia show up, the following dialogue happened as soon as the scene changed to the War Room.

VIKTOR: "Ha ha ha. What fun!"
PAHN: "Yum! The Imperial Army grub was really awful."
LEPANT: "What a fun crew you have here, Commander [HERO]."
EILEEN: "You shouldn't eat so much..."
VARKAS: "This is great! We were right to come here, Sydonia."
SYDONIA: "Heh… I guess."

After that I could talk to everyone as normal or leave the room to trigger the Assassin battle.
Normally I recruit everyone at the first opportunity and I've never gotten that scene before. Maybe it triggers when you have under a certain number of recruits?

I immediately loaded a playthrough video on Youtube to make sure I wasn't crazy and the scene wasn't there.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Hidden Banquet Scene?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Strange, while those lines certainly exist in the script I can't get it to repeat on the PSP version at least.

Without any optional recruits I get the same scene as ever, straight to walking about. So whatever you did to trigger it, it wasn't that.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Julian

Post by Julian »

So, quick look at this. Note I'm using the PSP version so it's possible there might be some differences from the PS1. (And I don't have the equivalent ps1 addresses)

I was able to find that event. It has three requirements:
7 19 16 8 19 64 8 45 1, meaning:
Event flag 19, 0x10 is set
Event flag 19, 0x64 is NOT set
Event flag 45, 0x1 is NOT set

I loaded a save there. The first two requirements were met. The last one was not, my event flag 45 was set to 01, so that bit was set.

I tried to do a search of where that flag was set, and I got a match in the event where you're recruiting Mathiu. The one where Viktor asks Mathiu where to find Mathiu. (Not knowing he was speaking to Mathiu.) The end of that event sets flag 45 0x1.

The end of this banquet event also sets the same event flag 45 0x1.

So... either you somehow glitched your flags a bit, you somehow skipped that event when getting Mathiu, or there might be event differences between PS1 and PSP.

(0x090F9E3D is the PSP addr for flag 45)
Last edited by Julian on Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

So essentially this is bugged like the extra sheep in the Unicorn Forest in Suikoden II where if you open a certain chest the game thinks you picked up the sheep already because they have the same flag.

Except in this case no one ever sees this scene because you can't skip recruiting Mathiu and avoid setting the flag. So how did you do that? And yeah, resetting the flag manually before meeting Varkas and Sydonia will play the scene.

EDIT: Turns out you can skip that conversation with Mathiu by just going up the stairs and talking to the kid that tells you Mathiu's out for a walk, so you must have done that.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:26 pm Turns out you can skip that conversation with Mathiu by just going up the stairs and talking to the kid that tells you Mathiu's out for a walk, so you must have done that.
That's what I did.