Top 10 most difficult recruits in Suikoden

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Hirathien

Re: Top 10 most difficult recruits in Suikoden

Post by Hirathien »

Celes wrote:I'd say it strongly depends on the point of view, whether you talk about a first playthrough without the use of any help whatsoever or the need of time/luck/patience if you know what do to.

Obviously Crowley and Lester are easy to miss without any hints. Same goes for Pesmerga (both S1 and 2) and Ted (S4).

Counting non-stars in, Boris (S2) is almost impossible to find, simply because something has to go wrong first in order to get him.
Funny thing there with Pesmerga, I actually found him thanks to a friend saying there was a Rage crystal hiding in Neclords place, I went there and found a guy in a suit of armour. Didn't really care much for the rage crystal by then!

Point being is that I had no internet when Suikoden I and II was out, so I had to scour them by hand. Wasn't hard, just time consuming.

Ofcourse I've been using recruitment guides after I've done it all by myself, mainly to cut down on hours and such, so I know when to recruit some people instead of going back and forth just to check if the same character is available now, or now, or now.
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

Crowley was a pain when I didn't know where to look.
Clive(1)it was random how I found him and I had to really look after I realized I missed him the first time.
Egbert,if I didn't figure out the trick with him I never would have recruited him...damn Godwins.
Landis...he wasn't that hard once I knew where to be,but it was such a tedious process getting him..

I also had a lot of trouble recruiting people in Tierkreis. With the season changes to look for I kept falling into the wrong times for things.
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Difficulty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. A character that can be missed out on, or is out of the way isn't necessarily difficult to recruit. He might not even be difficult to find at all! Pesmerga is such a character. Sure, he's out of the way and you wouldn't expect to walk through the same dungeon again, but he's not hiding. He's in plain sight.
However, with Suikoden I's lack of a detective, chances of finding him are low. Unless you'd decide to walk through Neclord's castle again, just for the sake of it, you'll never come across him and for that reason Pesmerga is illusive. I wouldn't call him difficult to recruit though. Simply talking to him does the job.

Oboro is, imo a difficult to recruit character. Loads of opportunities to miss out on him. Requires quite a bit of effort and this is throughout various parts of the game. He's difficult to recruit.

To the poster who mentioned Gremio and Nanami. They recruit by default. You do nothing towards them to recruit them. In order for them to be alive, that's when you need all characters. They will, irrespective of being alive or dead, still appear on your tablet.

When it comes down to finding characters, well, that's a whole new can of worms. Crowley is definitely a great example. He's tough to recruit as well tough to find. Unless you're familiar with walking through walls, chances are, you'll never find him unless you know where to look. Mazus is of a similar nature.

When it comes down to recruiting, I find, overall, SV has the hardest difficulty. Plenty of characters rely on others to be recruited and a whole slew of them can be missed out on, making the recruiting process very difficult.
Caesar

Post by Caesar »

Piisuke, I suppose I wasn't clear enough in what I meant when I said Gremio and Nanami. I know they are default and you play through the game with them, but in order to get the best ending and truly have them, you need to get all 108 characters.
"Hey man, Thought I'd knock back a few..." -Amada

"It's more like a curse. Knowledge can be a tedious thing." -Geddoe
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Hirathien wrote:
Celes wrote:I'd say it strongly depends on the point of view, whether you talk about a first playthrough without the use of any help whatsoever or the need of time/luck/patience if you know what do to.

Obviously Crowley and Lester are easy to miss without any hints. Same goes for Pesmerga (both S1 and 2) and Ted (S4).

Counting non-stars in, Boris (S2) is almost impossible to find, simply because something has to go wrong first in order to get him.
Funny thing there with Pesmerga, I actually found him thanks to a friend saying there was a Rage crystal hiding in Neclords place, I went there and found a guy in a suit of armour. Didn't really care much for the rage crystal by then!

Point being is that I had no internet when Suikoden I and II was out, so I had to scour them by hand. Wasn't hard, just time consuming.

Ofcourse I've been using recruitment guides after I've done it all by myself, mainly to cut down on hours and such, so I know when to recruit some people instead of going back and forth just to check if the same character is available now, or now, or now.
Same here. Back in those days, if you had internet access, it was dail up and therefore sucked. I made it through Suikoden 1 getting every recruit (minus Lester) on my own with thorough searching. I found Fuma hiding behind the Dragon Knight's castle on my own, Pesmerga in Neclord's castle on my own, Crowley on my own, and Clive completely by accident on my own.

Suikoden 2 was the same way more or less. A majority of the characters were found easily without a guide, and in Suikoden 3, I was able to find all characters on my first of second playthrough with no help.

Suikoden 4 and 5 are a different story. S4 came with a strategy guide when I bought it, so I used it for recruiting characters on my second playthrough, and S5 required constant internet assistance. My first playthrough ended with a LOT of missing recruits. The sad thing was that I encountered a ton of S5's recruits my first time through, but couldn't figure out how to get them to join (like Oboro or Retso for example)
PSN: FreshMetal80
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Ah, good to see I wasn't the only one scouring through places on my own.

I find it interesting how different people are, what's hard for some is easy for others.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Difficulty is a tricky thing to pin down and define. Some characters can be a pain even if you have a guide, especially ones that involve chance such as Landis, the squirrels and Clive in Suikoden 1. Stars that involve item drops are a hassle too, but I often end up with the item before going to see them. Just lucky I guess ^-^'

You could also think of it as 'easily missable', which include a whole heap of characters you may never come across, like Pesmerga, Ted in S4, and the Rokakku ninjas (etc etc etc).

Then there are those damn mini game ones! (I guess I'm lucky that I love Ritapon, huh?). Sometimes they just involve a lot of rage, money and resetting >.<

Overall I think Suikoden 3 was the easiest to recruit all the characters without a guide. Suikoden 5 had Murad and Oboro who you have to visit multiple times in different places. Also making sure you got ALL of the bandits, not just Roy. And training up and old person for Genoh was annoying (I only knew how to do that from a guide, let alone where to find him).

There's so many. But it depends on the criteria for difficult.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Agreed. Suikoden III was far the easiest. Not that many tough or hard to find at all.

And well, yeah. I think it's like someone already said, it lies in the eyes of the beholder.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Caesar wrote:Piisuke, I suppose I wasn't clear enough in what I meant when I said Gremio and Nanami. I know they are default and you play through the game with them, but in order to get the best ending and truly have them, you need to get all 108 characters.
I understand that, but that doesn't make their recruiting any more difficult. They join before you even start the game. Getting the perfect ending can be tricky, definitely, moreso in Suikoden II where you need to have all the characters earlier in the game than in Suikoden I where it's before the final battle.
In the end, like I said, difficulty is in the eyes of the beholder. I feel that acquiring the characters isn't difficult, making sure they survive clearly is a lot more challenging.

I do understand how people feel though. Back in the days of Suikoden I, Internet access came through a 56k modem and websites like GameFAQS were still in it's early phases. On top of that, Suikoden was already a rare game and plenty of people hadn't heard about it.
There were also these videogame hotlines people could call.

Crowley was indeed a tricky pony. I stumbled upon him by complete accident. The only reason I found him was because I was messing around. I knew about hidden walls from games like Lufia and, of course, in Toran Lake Castle, there's a few places you walk through walls. I then found a wall in the cave of the past that had a suspiciously straight section and voila! Couldn't recruit him though, didn't had enough characters yet.

Fuma was quite easy to find. If you're used to walking around looking for treasure chests, such as Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and Lufia, then your first instinct is to walk around a new place first before advancing the story. Aside from that, Fuma stuck out like a sore thumb. Some ninja he is! Bright red!?

Clive was a character that gave me some trouble, but that was because luck decided to wind me up. Same with getting the Nameless Urn for Jabba. I actually grinded an hour to get that bloody urn. Not sure if there's a way to increase the droprate if one has characters with high LCK, but the trials I've been through to get that urn are shocking.

Simone in Suikoden II gave me a little trouble as well. Getting that Rose Brooch, for some reason, always took quite a while before I got it. I then followed it by making him bark like a dog, or act like a pig. Funnily enough, if you keep insisting you want him to do that, he will. He'll then walk off and will not be a SoD. This then also causes you to miss out on Vincent. So don't do it. Although, it is funny.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Oops, I forgot about Georges, his minigame is hell. Anyone feels the same?
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Pick the one with the least amount of different cards. I think it's 6. As soon as you have one pair correct, it will clear almost the entire board.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:Oops, I forgot about Georges, his minigame is hell. Anyone feels the same?

Am i the only one who found it easy? Georges is one of the easiest recruits.

For me characters with mini-games weren't a problem. I was always good in these....probably it seems i'm a lucky one...since i've managed to win about 100k potch in Gunter's mini-game in about 10 mins without reseting the game :mrgreen:

My problem was these characters were you need to walk around a certain area and find them..like Landis and the 5 squirells...or these who demand a certain item like Jabba and Esmeralda,and this item can only be found by defeating a certain enemy...plus the fact that the chances to found it are way too low.Totally frustrating.
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

Sasarai10 wrote:
gildedtalon wrote:Oops, I forgot about Georges, his minigame is hell. Anyone feels the same?

Am i the only one who found it easy? Georges is one of the easiest recruits.

For me characters with mini-games weren't a problem. I was always good in these....probably it seems i'm a lucky one...since i've managed to win about 100k potch in Gunter's mini-game in about 10 mins without reseting the game :mrgreen:
I loved the mini game recruits,even if it did take me longer than I wanted to,they were still fun! :D

One character that I missed twice was Gilbert,that was frustrating both times because if you don't get him in that battle you can't go back.
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Sasarai10 wrote:
gildedtalon wrote: My problem was these characters were you need to walk around a certain area and find them..like Landis and the 5 squirells...or these who demand a certain item like Jabba and Esmeralda,and this item can only be found by defeating a certain enemy...plus the fact that the chances to found it are way too low.Totally frustrating.
Four squirrels. Unless, of course, you do not recruit Mukumuku in Kyaro Town.

I'd place Landis and the squirrels in the same bracket as Jabba and Esmeralda. Very annoying to recruit, bot not difficult. The % of encoutering them/getting the drop can really screw you over, especially if you're attempting a speedrun. Like I said, I have spend an hour to get the Nameless Urn in one of my save games. In a game like Suikoden, that's simply too much. I think Clive is similar as well, seeing as his appearance is random. Highly annoying to recruit :/
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Piisuke wrote:
Four squirrels. Unless, of course, you do not recruit Mukumuku in Kyaro Town.

I'd place Landis and the squirrels in the same bracket as Jabba and Esmeralda. Very annoying to recruit, bot not difficult. The % of encoutering them/getting the drop can really screw you over, especially if you're attempting a speedrun. Like I said, I have spend an hour to get the Nameless Urn in one of my save games. In a game like Suikoden, that's simply too much. I think Clive is similar as well, seeing as his appearance is random. Highly annoying to recruit :/

Mukumuku in Kyaro Town without a guide is almost impossible. Only a few people could ever think to examine a certain large tree...

Clive wasn't that difficult for me. Once you have level 4 HQ,chances are very high to appear.
Yeah, Jabba was a tough one too. I have spend around the same amount of time like you...chances are about 2-3% to drop a Nameless Urn according to the guide....so even with walkthrough he is still difficult,because of this