Handicap playthrough for all suikodens (SI-SV)

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
gildedtalon

Handicap playthrough for all suikodens (SI-SV)

Post by gildedtalon »

1.No runes allowed, unless the rune is passive and fixed
If the rune is active and fixed, obviously you're not allowed to use it. If the rune is passive and removable, remove it
2.Skills can not be upgraded, remove the skill if possible
3.Stat stone trick not allowed
4.Level to fight the final boss should not be above 65
5.You may only recruit shopkeepers, obviously you're allowed to recruit Viki and the warehouse keepers
6.For normal battles or war battles, you may only use the automatically recruited characters. I added this just so that you don't use those shopkeepers that are not automatically recruited. You may use the shopkeepers that are automatically recruited
7.In S3, Pale Moon Set is not allowed while in S4, Ogre Set is not allowed

Doable? Should I add something more to the list?
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Handicap playthrough for all suikodens (SI-SV)

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:1.No runes allowed, unless the rune is passive and fixed
If the rune is active and fixed, obviously you're not allowed to use it. If the rune is passive and removable, remove it
2.Skills can not be upgraded, remove the skill if possible
3.Stat stone trick not allowed
4.Level to fight the final boss should not be above 65
5.You may only recruit shopkeepers, obviously you're allowed to recruit Viki and the warehouse keepers
6.For normal battles or war battles, you may only use the automatically recruited characters. I added this just so that you don't use those shopkeepers that are not automatically recruited. You may use the shopkeepers that are automatically recruited
7.In S3, Pale Moon Set is not allowed while in S4, Ogre Set is not allowed

Doable? Should I add something more to the list?

Do not recruit any optional character and in war battles use only the leader of each group.

(That would be very tough especially in S3 major battles and in S4 final boss)

But each game should have a different "handicap" i suppose...for example S5 is a very easy game even if you use only the non-optional characters....
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Sasarai10 wrote:Do not recruit any optional character and in war battles use only the leader of each group.
No one would waste so much time coz they didn't recruit the shopkeepers. I want the challenge doable on every suikoden. Not make it specific to a certain game. War battles in s3 are easy. The problem lies with S4, war battles with handicap you mentioned can be easily done on all suikodens. Even then, in s4, maybe you can just board the ship and kill the crew with your lvl 99 characters lol :mrgreen:
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:No one would waste so much time coz they didn't recruit the shopkeepers. I want the challenge doable on every suikoden. Not make it specific to a certain game. War battles in s3 are easy. The problem lies with S4, war battles with handicap you mentioned can be easily done on all suikodens. Even then, in s4, maybe you can just board the ship and kill the crew with your lvl 99 characters lol :mrgreen:

War battles in S3 are easy if you have all characters of course...and a little more difficult with only the optional characters.

But if you use ONLY the unit leaders which is only 8 characters (Duke and Futch are not included since they are optional) the last battle will be extremely difficult....but it worths a challenge :)

In S4 the last boss is the most difficult boss among suikodens (along with the ice dragon in S3)
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Sasarai10 wrote:But if you use ONLY the unit leaders which is only 8 characters (Duke and Futch are not included since they are optional) the last battle will be extremely difficult....but it worths a challenge :)
Who needs others when you have Hugo, our super powerhouse
Sasarai10 wrote:In S4 the last boss is the most difficult boss among suikodens (along with the ice dragon in S3)
I soloed him with lvl 99 Hero no problem, I soloed the ice dragon with lvl 98 Chris hahaha
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:Who needs others when you have Hugo, our super powerhouse
I soloed him with lvl 99 Hero no problem, I soloed the ice dragon with lvl 98 Chris hahaha

I suppose Hugo was level 99 right? :lol:

Do you have a video where you were fighting the giant tree,and the ice dragon solo?

Ok about the first...Lazlo was a decent mage so he could deal some great damage with the Rune of Punishment since he was lvl 99....but Chris even at lvl 99,how she could beat that ice dragon since she has NO magic attacks with the true water rune?

Your only choice would be to fight the ice dragon with physical attacks,which is impossible.since that ice thing revives the ice pillars. so you have to beat them all together.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Sasarai10 wrote:I suppose Hugo was level 99 right? :lol:
Nope, only Chris and certain other characters can get to lvl 99 with the trick. My Hugo's lvl was on the range of 60-62. I was playing solo playthrough on that time. So I'm only allowed to use Geddoe, Hugo, and Chris for the war battles. For others, if they ever get a turn. It's not my fault, I never intentionally pick them to fight the enemy but if the three heroes already exhaust their turn, what can I do? I keep the other characters dead throughout my journey
Sasarai10 wrote:Do you have a video where you were fighting the giant tree,and the ice dragon solo?
Nope, Punkaiser has the solo against giant tree
Sasarai10 wrote:Ok about the first...Lazlo was a decent mage so he could deal some great damage with the Rune of Punishment since he was lvl 99....
Nope, I used physical attack mostly. Check Punkaiser's video. He even abused the equipment set and food item that increases attack, I don't but I still managed to do it. I was too lazy to gather materials for the equipment set
Sasarai10 wrote:but Chris even at lvl 99,how she could beat that ice dragon since she has NO magic attacks with the true water rune? Your only choice would be to fight the ice dragon with physical attacks,which is impossible.since that ice thing revives the ice pillars. so you have to beat them all together.
Use Phoenix rune, aim straight for the real boss. I don't remember how I did it, but I managed to do it. Yeah, it was the hardest battle on my solo challenge. The second is versus Sarah and The Azzodesses when she stole your True Fire Rune on Kuput Forest.

I don't believe I can solo those two battles without the lvl 99 trick
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:Use Phoenix rune, aim straight for the real boss. I don't remember how I did it, but I managed to do it. Yeah, it was the hardest battle on my solo challenge. The second is versus Sarah and The Azzodesses when she stole your True Fire Rune on Kuput Forest.

I don't believe I can solo those two battles without the lvl 99 trick

If Chris use her Phoenix rune she gets unbalanced...so if you beat the dragon within one turn you must be extremely lucky.

When she stole your True Fire Rune at Kuput forest if you choose Chris as FC...Borus is with you...if i remember well...so you cannot go solo there...
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Sasarai10 wrote:If Chris use her Phoenix rune she gets unbalanced...so if you beat the dragon within one turn you must be extremely lucky.
Yes, it took a lot of turns to kill it. No, of course you can't kill him within one turn. Where did you get this idea?...
Sasarai10 wrote:When she stole your True Fire Rune at Kuput forest if you choose Chris as FC...Borus is with you...if i remember well...so you cannot go solo there...
LOL, almost every part of the story, there are always some people who go with you, just keep them dead.

From the start of a new game, I always keep people on my party dead other than the three heroes. I don't play Thomas' chapters for that reason :)
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

gildedtalon wrote:Yes, it took a lot of turns to kill it. No, of course you can't kill him within one turn. Where did you get this idea?...

Because you'll get attacked by the dragon and the pillars twice,so you have to heal Chris when it's your turn because you've lost a lot of hp....am i wrong? I have never been with Chris at level 99
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Sasarai10 wrote:Because you'll get attacked by the dragon and the pillars twice,so you have to heal Chris when it's your turn because you've lost a lot of hp....am i wrong? I have never been with Chris at level 99
It took them either 2 or 3 turns to damage my Chris to the point that I have to heal her so I can still beat it. You can heal while unbalanced so it's no problem :D
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I'm currently playing through Suikoden 2 using only the minimum number of characters. I don't think I'll recruit shopkeepers. That's going to be my only handicap though.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Sasarai10 wrote:In S4 the last boss is the most difficult boss among suikodens (along with the ice dragon in S3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoejlGwXTPI

I found the boss to be quite easy. I do agree, it is tricky, due to all the status effects, but not difficult. As a matter of fact, I found the SV boss harder, due to the amount of damage it can deal.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Piisuke wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoejlGwXTPI

I found the boss to be quite easy. I do agree, it is tricky, due to all the status effects, but not difficult. As a matter of fact, I found the SV boss harder, due to the amount of damage it can deal.

Oh really??? SV final bosses were a joke....i won all of them by once :)

If you have a firefly rune attached to one of your character,and 2 "healers" it would be quite easy but a little frustrating because that boss revives those 2 things
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Playing all of S IVs war battles with Rune Cannons with the littlest strength could be fun. :D But I guess most of them just will take longer, but wont be more difficult...