[RPG Maker] Suikoroku Gaiden Official Thread

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Palmguy

Re: SUIKOROKU GAIDEN RELEASED!

Post by Palmguy »

Uh, please, refrain from advertising it as the "first Suikoden in years". Last time I checked, Suikoden was still Konami's property and trademark. Call if the first "Suikoden fan-made game" or something.

I know I'm being a dick, but this is just rubbing me the wrong way.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

The title should also be changed since it's actually not released, yet.

Post by 727 »

I got sick of trying to waypoint every single area. It's just getting more annoying as I do it. Your gonna have to deal with a graphics error from the original version where it looks like they're standing on rugs until I get motivated again. It's not that big of a deal is it?

I'm gonna start uploading it now.
A brand new Suikoden game with a well-written script!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Suikorok ... ?ref=br_tf

Re: [RPG Maker] Suikoroku Gaiden Official Thread

Post by 727 »

Here it is for real.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GK1S1298

It's a beta and has a few holes to be patched but it's fully playable.

KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i played it for about 10 minutes, started walking around.. the maps are very strange, screens don't seem to "connect" to each other the way a landscape should. but the major issue is that i triggered my first battle and got this error: "Unable to find file Graphics/Characters/shadow00."

i also noticed a bunch of Skills can be cast from the menu (not in battle cuz i can't get one to work), so your MP is eaten up without any effect (no enemies to damage from the menu....)
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Oh okay, just thought I'd ask. I look foward to playing it man :)
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.

Post by 727 »

Maybe I uploaded the wrong one because I thought i fixed the battle error. Yeah the mapping isn't great. It's mainly about the story. I'll do better with mapping next time. I had a hard time finding a good tileset for a desert. I already have better tilesets for episode II so that won't be an issue. I will also have the game better organized. can't do anything about the out of battle skills. Just don't use them. I'll fix it the battle system right now.

I'll try uploading it again. then download it again.

Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Thanks for all your hard work.

Question: Is that the FF VI engine? I noticed in the Screen Shot that characters have lots of HP and MP is communal between spell levels. Are these Features going to be on the Final version?

Post by 727 »

It is similar to the ff6 engine. All the spells are suikoden related. Even the enemies use real suikoden runes.
(Hollyboy uses earth, Sunking uses fire, undead use resurrection,etc.)

I am reuploading it with the battle system fixed so it wont give out errors. Should be ready in 10-15 mins.

Here it is

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S85C3EKT

Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Hey look, I just wanted to say before playing this game, a little saying from my country: Good on ya, mate.

I have to applaud you for taking action, and creating your own game. That takes dedication and you seem to have a real passion for the series. While I can understand some people's frustration on you changing 'canon' events (or just event, if Nanami dying is the only one), I 'feel like that has overshadowed the effort you have put in here. Although, I think that you're advertising it all wrong. You're treating it as if it's the next Suikoden game, that the fans' questions will be answered. No one can do that except Konami. It's not the fact that you've made the game, I think a lot of people are keen on the idea, but you should advertise it as what it is; a fan-made speculation. You've got to be aware of the connotations of your words. What you've created will not answer any questions, but purely speculate. Your own 'what if' game. This is your audience, you have to be prepared to listen.

And no one should frown upon that. Because there's a good section of this same forum that is all about speculation and theories. Even the unjustified ones. So I think we should all simmer down, quit bickering about technicalities and appreciate what our fellow Suikoden fan has created. Good on ya mate, I'll give my honest opinion once I've played it. Looking forward to it.

Also, sorry guys, I just needed a rant maybe... :roll:
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.

Post by 727 »

The main point of this game is to build up to episode II and I know the graphics aren't perfect but I did enjoy the story. I think the ending will leave you wanting more. I started this game when I was rusty and it wasn't very well organized. I've already got episode II planned out and all the resources ready. Next episode I will improve the graphics and the story will be just as good or better(the people who beat episode I will know what I'm talking about)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S85C3EKT

I tested it and the battle system worked for me. Let me know if you still get the shadow error and I'll try something new.

Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Well, maybe a Mod should delete all OT-replies and this thread should only be there for the announcements of new episodes? I don't think this game needs two topics...
dorky106

Post by dorky106 »

As for calling Suikoden: (IDC)
It is allowed as long as money isn't made from the game (Donations are allowed though) and as long as he has somewhere in the game or in a file that comes with the game stateing that its a fan based game.
dorky106

Post by dorky106 »

As as side note if you're really wanting to make this game of yours big you should just ask if you can has a catagory for this game on this forum. If not I can Easily let you have a section of my gaming forum if you wish. Just downloaded it and going to try it out for something to do.

Also theres a script for VX that allows extra equippment and one that makes it that you get skills from equipped gear incase you feel like having a true rune setup like the real suikoden games.

Title Screen needs a little work.

Talking Session between Ted and Windy, Ted says Lazlow instead of Lazlo. (beginning of game)
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Why are there in the first "town" duplicates of people saying the same? This pretty much is... superfluous!?

You should make an option in the beginning if you want to see all the story of Suikoden II.. I guess most people playing the game will know it.

And couldn't you cut the music so it was looping? The battle victory music is in a very bad quality.

Also some of the pictures in the intro sequence look like they don't fit into the game and also I don't think you should use screenshots with dialogue boxes.

I also think you should overthink some balances. "Holly Berries" are the weakest enemies in the suikoden games, still need 3 hits or so to beat. And the Killer Rune is far Superior to all the other runes as it makes 1000 damag, while only using 25 MP. FLiks spells use far more MP and do less damage. I would recommend that you can equip runes like the Killer Rune in the Accessory Slot so they fulfill their true effect.

Ok, kanakan is really badly made. At first I thought the game was already over because there was NOTHING. I just went north because I thought that maybe there is something and then.. well.. there was. Then in the night there was an error and I couldnt battle this mage or whatever it was and then the game was over.

Ok, I didn't expect much, but this game isn't even a beta, it's not even a real game. I think you should either first learn how to make a game in the RPG-Maker, or you should find someone to do it for you. If you can't even properly create a desert or a town, you shouldn't announce your game as the suikoden sequel we all waited for. Heck, even Suikoden IV had better towns and dungeons.

So, yeah, all these discussions were really for nothing as this game makes no fun at all until now (which is the first 5 minutes). Then I rather play Exit Fate which is a true heir to the Suikoden legacy.