Barts and Percival

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Blitzkrieg

Barts and Percival

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Quick Question.

They seem to be good friends in the manga, did they grow up together? They knew each other really good, and they drink together, so I'm guessing they are good friends, but is the manga official to the series?
"We are forgotten in times of peace. It's only
when war looms that people remember we exist."
-The Great Leon Silverburg
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yeah, i's pretty much official, although the plot becomes significantlydifferent from the game starting volume 5 (which isn't out in the USA yet).

However, considering the fact that Percival was born and raised in Iksay, it's not too far frtched if he is good friends with Barts.
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Well, the plot went off in this volume...because Chris fought Lucia instead of Jimba, and Nash was the one to tell her about her father, not Jimba. I couldn't believe I just ran into a copy of the manga...I saw it and bought it. Pretty good reading though.

BOT though....
Yeah I thought it was quite possible for them to be good friends, guess the real question was if the manga is official. Thanks.
Shadowflame

Post by Shadowflame »

I don't see why Percival and Barts can't be good friends. They live in the same place. (Percival used to anyways).
I think the manga is official. Some of the events are way different though.
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

How old are Barts and Percival?
Argento Breesa

Post by Argento Breesa »

Barts looks like he's 19 and Percival is in his 20's at the very least. i think it's his armor that makes him look a little older.
"If you have nothing better to say to me, then leave me alone." -me
Celsis

Post by Celsis »

There are a lot of changes in the manga from the game's story, the details of events are a bit different and are told somewhat differently. Some things happen in the manga that don't happen in the game, and some stuff in the game isn't mentioned in the manga. The manga more or less takes out some of the details in the game, and adds and changes details to make it it's own, while still relating to the basic story or plot and almost enhances it by increasing the relationships between characters. Since there is a lot more interaction between the characters in the manga, like the one between Barts and Percival.

*Spoilers, but I won't put any major ones in, and also off topic of Barts and Percival*
I suppose I need to read or look at books 3-6 in order to understand 7 ^_^; but looking through book 7 I think I can recognize some of the stuff going on that relates to the game, but I don't know which part of the war they are in. I'm guessing the near last one or last? Since it's against Harmonian soldiers which seem to be the ones Sarah summoned. The story does seem different though because events happen differently, but I still think it has the basic plot down. I think, is the keyword ^^; for I cannot read what is being said to be fully sure what is going on.
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

I think this is better because we're spending money on something we're familiar with, but all the same, there can be unexpected turn of events. I don't think I'd be too happy paying $9.99 plus tax every 2 months for an exact written copy of Suikoden 3. Besides, if the artist can't have a creative freedom, she won't be having fun with it.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Spambi

Post by Spambi »

I think Aki Shimizu follows the plot of the game pretty closely, but remember that he's supposed to cover a bunch of different chapters into one full story line. Overall, there are scenes that I appreciate that were added, but there were scenes that I don't think he should have cut out either. I think it all depends on personal preference.
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

Iksay is relatively a small village, so it's not all too shocking that Barts and Percival knew each other. They might even grow up together. It's common for villagers to know one another, especially one as bustling as Iksay.
Sid: He he he...
Riou: ??
Sid: Hoo Hoo Hoo HAHAHAHA!