Any good books we're reading right now?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Rooks

Re: Any good books we're reading right now?

Post by Rooks »

Right, I always get him confused with Allende. By feminism I mean just that they are looking to have more Female writers in the canon. So, yeah both Gabby and Allende are going to be taught more as time goes on. I think they should add Roberto Balano to that too, he is the superior writer in my opinion, if you want to go with Latin American writers.

Actually, I am not reading one now, but Terry Pratchett's Discworld series has been one of my favorites for a long time. I have not really been able to take any other fantasy novel seriously after I read Pratchett, he skewers the Fantasy genre so well that, really, you kinda see behind the puppet show most fantasy authors use to tell their story. Pratchett is singly the funniest author I have ever read, and if you want to get started, I suggest "Guards! Guards!" and the Watchmen series of books. His prose is very plain, but he makes up for it with his social and political commentary.

I did by "Game of Thrones" used recently, and am gonna read it here pretty soon. We will see if I can even take it seriously at all. I watched the first two episodes of the TV show, and I liked it, but it was really the acting that got me, Sean Bean and the guy who plays Tirion Lannister are just wonderful actors. But I stopped after episode 2, because the books are always better anyway.
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

I've been reading the Collected Plays of Arthur Miller,for those who haven't read his work his more notable plays are "The Crucible" and "Death of a Salesman". Both are included in this along with "All My Sons", "A Memory of two Mondays" and "A View from the Bridge".
Right now I'm in the middle of Salesman,which I've read before but wanted to again for nostalgia's sake. I really just like how he has such a seriousness in each play with a touch of dry humor.
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455
damican

Post by damican »

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss and The Gentlemen Bastards Quartet by Scott Lynch.

Both series have two books out and they're just amazing.
dragons_descent4

Search and Destroy,a play by Howard Korder.
- Viktor and Flik

KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

The Highway Code ...for sitting my driving test. Ugh.
adrielle.martin

Post by adrielle.martin »

I just read a Beautiful Mind and i loved it. But i found it to be so different from the movie. Yet the movie was nominated for Oscars.
adrielle.martin

Post by adrielle.martin »

I just finished reading Of Mice and Men which is something I’ve been meaning to do since I was in college, and I absolutely loved it. He is such a powerful writer. His ability to portray the characters, the location, and the struggles of migrant workers of the depression-era in such a succinct way blew me away.
dragons_descent4

I LOVE Of Mice and Men. Such a powerful book,I cried at the end of it....

Right now I'm reading another script,"The Children's Hour"-Lillian Hellman,I had to do a scene from it for a class and figured I may as well read the whole thing. It's pretty good so far.
- Viktor and Flik

Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I'm reading His Dark Materials trilogy (the Golden Compass was the first one). It's good. It's a nice break from the super heavy fantasy fiction of Song of Ice and Fire. It's lighter and it's nice that it has a much better pace.
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

I also like His Dark Materials.In fact I like it so much that I put it on my Facebook account as one of my favourite books.
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
Belle

Post by Belle »

I just finished The Hunger Games trilogy. It's a young adult/teen series, but it's dark, suspenseful, and full of twists (some of which, though, you do see coming). This is the kind of story where you might go through ten or so chapters without even realizing it. It's a fairly fast, easy read, if you can stomach the topic of kids (mostly teens) being forced to kill other kids.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Sounds a bit like Battle Royale.

I myself managed to snag a good copy of Game of Thrones that I'll be starting to read shortly, hopefully it will move me the way that the show did.
dragons_descent4

Belle wrote:I just finished The Hunger Games trilogy. It's a young adult/teen series, but it's dark, suspenseful, and full of twists (some of which, though, you do see coming). This is the kind of story where you might go through ten or so chapters without even realizing it. It's a fairly fast, easy read, if you can stomach the topic of kids (mostly teens) being forced to kill other kids.
I just started reading this!!! It's pretty good so far,and it definitely does have that Battle Royale feel to it as well.
But yeah,for an intense read,The Hunger Games is really delivering.
- Viktor and Flik

Belle

Post by Belle »

Well, gee, now you guys got me curious about Battle Royale :P

A Game of Thrones actually took me a while to get into... good but a lot to absorb. Once I started picking out my favorite characters and genuinely taking an interest in what happened to them (as well as praying hard for not-so-favorite characters' comeuppance), I just kept reading. By A Storm of Swords, I was flying through the books... and by now, I've changed my opinion about a lot of people. (I still go back occasionally to reread... and one of these days, I'm going to actually watch the HBO series, I swear.)
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

Just got my copy of "War and Peace" through today. Buzzin' to just get right into it once my exams are out the way.