the strongest true rune so far?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Lord Luca

the strongest true rune so far?

Post by Lord Luca »

id just like to know what people would think would be the strongest true rune out there that have been revealed so far in the world of suikoden.

rune of beggining?
sun?
or any other id just like 2 hear some opinions :D
or any personal favourites and why
velvet_fireball

Post by velvet_fireball »

I guess it depends on what you consider 'powerful' since there are many different powers, not only destructive.

I heard that all the True Runes are meant to be equally powerful.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

it depends on many things:

if are or not true runes

the powers you are looking for ( healing / destructive )

if are or not easy controllable ( like sun )

if the bearer is a powerfull mage or a unskilled boy

if the bearer fully controlls the rune ( -1 year or +400 years of experience with the rune, or if rune accepts the bearer 100% like blue moon to sierra )

knowing this, maybe you can think circle rune maybe is the most dangerous now, cuz hikusaak ( if is alive ) have increible powers and too many experience with that rune, and possibly controlls 100% of the powers of the rune
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
Sabrewulf

Post by Sabrewulf »

The True Runes themself are supposed to be equally powerfull but that sounds wrong to me.
Its easier to imagine that all True Runes have equal energy but different ways to use it thus making some True Runes better at offense than some others.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Yeah, but until I see any other True Runes blowing up armadas and giant Rune Cannon waves, I'm saying the Rune of Punishment is the strongest. Ho-lay CRAP.
Lord Luca

Post by Lord Luca »

well i guess i mean most destructive and not necessarily most efficient, just raw power,

i mean being hard to control does reduce its efficiency but lets say that a strong mage has it then that becomes less of a problem

so lets just say we where comparing them all on equal terms,
i.e strong mage who wields it with lots of years exp and has strong willpower
Iris

Post by Iris »

Then it's still the Rune of Punishment. Lazlo had it for five years, just barely started to control it at that point, and had it WIPE OUT ARMADAS AND WAVES OF ENERGY WITH RAW POWER.

Think of it this way- it's 150 years later. Think how good he'll be now?
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

As Shirofan noted a while ago:
The relative strengths of the True Runes is dependent entirely upon context: some scenarios favor some runes while they perform badly in others, method of usage also comes into play which is determined by the intelligence and cunning of the bearer.

For example if the bearers of the True Fire and Sovereign Rune lined up for battle then the True Fire Rune would be totally ineffective at direct attacks against the Sovereign Rune bearer due to the latter's magic block effect; however we do not know if the Sovereign Rune has offensive abilities so it may come down to physical combat between the bearers.

Thus a more cunning bearer of the True Fire Rune may not attack the Sovereign bearer directly but create fires that impede his progress and wear him down before the physical battle to come.

This may be used to come to the conclusion that they are of equal strengths but it does depend on situation as if we introduce a third True Rune into the mix it results in one sided battles:

The Gate Rune seems to have weaker direct offensive powers than the True Fire Rune so its primary attack would have to be through the monsters it summons; however the True Fire is an area attack rune of high power so it could destroy any opposition summoned fairly easily.

However with a bit of foresight the Gate Rune could defeat the bearer of the Sovereign Rune because it has an indirect attack and would overwhelm him with force of numbers.

You cannot say that the True Fire Rune is stronger than the Rune of the Gate which is stronger than the Sovereign Rune, so by default the True Fire must be stronger than the Sovereign Rune as we know that isn't the case.

Without further details being disclosed it should be assumed that all True Runes are equal in power levels; but that does not mean that all battles between bearers will result in a stalemate, that depends more on the situation, the runes and the bearers involved; any individual results thus obtained could not be used to convey a hierarchy in any place.

However the first post suggests this is a versus topic about two specific runes, one of which we have next to no details about in its true form. As a result no-one can give you a coherent answer even if that sort of topic was allowed on these forums. But I will leave this topic open for people to discuss the more general case.
Sabrewulf

Post by Sabrewulf »

Considering the damage that Crowley and Mazus did with regular runes even the damages caused when the Fire Bringer lost control of his rune cannot be considered as the True Fire Rune's true potential.
We never get to see a real use of the True Runes the best we get to see depend of the mastery of the True Rune bearers over their Rune and it's kinda low (destroying a whole fleet isen't much considering the True Runes are the Gods of the Suikoden universe).
Unleashing the full power of any True Rune would most likely destroy the entire world anyway.
Rai-Jin

Post by Rai-Jin »

Well I think there are powerful True Runes and less powerful if you refer to strength. But all are equal and have their ups and downs. FOr now we all know the SUn rune is definitly the most powerful (seeing it can wipe entire countrys), but youll drive insane and even do things youd never do, like killing your own comrades and perhaps yourself if you just blow everything up
bla
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

As people already said, all runes have runes that are strong and weak against; as rock, scissor and paper. So we have to tell us "what for", in order to answer your question.

If you had a tournament of all the true runes with direct combat, probably the rune of the beginning would win, since it has the best combination of attack and defense and doesn’t seem to have any weakness.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

luca blight + sovereign = pwn all i sopose
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
Lord Luca

Post by Lord Luca »

(yay LUCA!!!! :D )

ok lets change it a little :roll:

lets say that all true runes are equal in "potential power" but in truth they all seem to have varying level of effectiveness (from either more or less skilled users or bad side effects that are imposed when the bearer uses the rune) lets ask the question of most battle effective rune (not just raw power), but easy(easier than others) to master and have less bad side effects e.g no death upon user when he uses it or insanity.

so basically im asking most proficient true rune that can still do some damage (i realise no true rune is perfectly user friendly and no true rune is easily mastered but i am asking the MOST efficient whilst realising that they are all "equal" in power)
Sabrewulf

Post by Sabrewulf »

The more efficient would probly be regular runes then.
All you need to master them is knowledge and maybe some natural affinity with them although it's not much of a requirement.
In the Suikoden universe it's easier to get a rune than a weapon.
90% if not more of the characters who have a real weapon are from an army, mercenary faction or a noble family while any underaged kid can buy runes from shops and enter in an academy that teach rune mastery.
Knowing that using a regular rune in a more eficient way than using a True Rune is easilly achievable.
Their power is by far lower but:
-anyone can access to them
-anyone can learn how to use them well
-they don't need any kind of sacrifice.

The True Rune that showed the lower requirements and fastest mastery seemed to be the Soul Eater but Suikoden IV prooved otherwise.
aerin

Post by aerin »

Eightfold Rune, just look what Yuber can do with it !