Suikoden IV reannounced! (or it's VI :P)

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Suikoden IV reannounced! (or it's VI :P)

Post by KFCrispy »

Konami's Suikoden producer Takahiro Saikymama mentioned that the development of Suikoden IV has already began, the game may have references to a previous Suikoden game
http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

And it'll have references to other Suikoden games too! Wow!
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

It says may not that it will.

As far as we know "developement has started" can mean anything from "We started talking about the story yesterday" to "the story and characters are done now we just program it".

And I'll be cautious till I hear something more, like director and artist.
Ryochi

Post by Ryochi »

I saw the articles too :)

I hope this time we move to the future
Suikoman444

Post by Suikoman444 »

Can't wait for it. Hopefully it'll be as good as V. :)
Jorge Prima

Post by Jorge Prima »

Suikoman444 wrote:Can't wait for it. Hopefully it'll be as good as V. :)
Don't count on it....
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

http://www.gamefront.de/

ctrl+f for Suikoden, it also links an interview.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

Jorge Prima wrote:
Suikoman444 wrote:Can't wait for it. Hopefully it'll be as good as V. :)
Don't count on it....
i dont know, 2 great, 2 ok, 1 great, theoreticly, we should get a great game
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Jowy Atreides wrote:And it'll have references to other Suikoden games too! Wow!
Such a rarity with these modern games. I mean, did you see the last one? Abosultely nothing about Jeane, Viki, Leknaat, SME, Harmonia.

It's sickening.

Google translation of the article in DMX's link:
Konami speaks about Suikoden 6

17.10.06 - Takahiro Sakiyama, producer of Suikoden V with Konami, spoke something with G-like-gorilla also about Suikoden VI.

Sakimaya is asked, whether he already works on the next Suikoden episode, in which part of the Suikoden world it to act and whether it will give recurring figures from the previous parts.

Sakiyama answers: “Still it is somewhat too early to give references. But we provoke ourselves straight as it were even to make a play which is different and represents by far more, as you as players for the moment expect.” A platform was not called yet.
Link to the interview in rough English
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

hmm can someone who actually can translate.. translate it?
ViktorFan

Post by ViktorFan »

If you don't mind grammar mistakes (maybe you noticed my english isn't perfect :( ) I would try to translate it this evening.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Takahiro Sakiyama, Producer of Suikoden V with Konami, has spoken with G-wie-Gorilla about Suikoden VI.

Sakiyama was asked if the next Suikoden was being worked on, what part of the Suikoden-world it would take part in and which characters from this part would appear.

Sakiyama responded: 'It's too early to say anything. But we're pushing ourselves to create a game that is different and will be well-recieved by people waiting for it.' No platform was mentioned.
The platform meaning that they didn't say if it was PS2, PS3, Wii or anything.

And damn that gave me a headache. I remember why I hated german in school.
ViktorFan

Post by ViktorFan »

Well, here's the translation.

"Meanwhile you can buy Suikoden V in every shop - and this for a less price. We contacted the developer in Japan and had 108 questions for Director Takahiro Sakiyama. Well, it wasn't that much though.
Even Suikoden V is a bit nuts it's one of the most interesting RPG's of the year. That's why we confrontate Director Sakiyama with some questions which are most important for us.

Question: With it's fast battle-system and the quick camera Suikoden V seems to be alike Suikoden I and II. Please tell us something about the decision to orientate on the roots of the series.
-Sakiyama: Yes, there's a trend to flexible cameras which can rotate around the hero or can be fixed because it's the best way you can see the 3 D-environs. But in Suikoden V we decided to use a fixed bird-sight-view. One of the reasons is: I can't handle the rotating camera very well for myself, I'm losing the orientation very fast. But the main-thing was that we wanted to try to create an environ with the modern technology where the player can't get lost. It may sound easy but you can see more buildings and people with the bird-sight-view than with a normal 3rd-person-camera. Our main motive was more the graphic than the return to the roots.

Question: The game seems to be a 2-D-game, you see the characters sprite during the loading time and the Suikoden fans like the 2-D-graphics as ever. Why is the game in 3-D then? Has it been your own decision or was it a necessity? If you had the decision would you choose 2-D or 3-D? I personelly prefer 2-D, there surely wouldn't be such long loading times.

Sakiyama: As I told you we wanted to create a 3-D-game with new technology. Besides, the Suikoden V-team had more experience with 3-D-graphics than with 2-D-graphics. That's why we made it in 3-D. This is a decision that depends on the plans for a game - what do we want to say? With which system are we working? Which team do we use? - Besides, the game must be created for as much players as possible and has to look accordingly. It's very difficult to get a team with the 2-D-experience which is necessary to create a game like Suikoden.

Question: You always have a tendency to kill these characters which I like most. Don't you have any mercy with the fans and their favourite characters? How do you decide who may live and who needs to die?

Sakiyama: We make the decision who lives and who dies on the basis of logical consequence from the plot and the character's intentions. We haven't the aim to surprise or shock the player.

Question: It's rather difficult to find all 108 SoDs in Suikoden V. When you play it the first time it's very easy to miss someone and don't get the best ending. Why did you make it so difficult? In Suikoden III and IV it wasn't difficult to miss someone that easy.

Sakiyama: Of course it's one aim to get the 108 stars but it's only one aim and not the only content of the game. We have a complete ending even if you didn't get all 108 stars. Otherwise it's true that you can't see all events if you rush through the game very fast. Only the one who has all 108 stars and who really knows the whole story will see the best ending and have one or more surprises. That was our main intention.

Question: Nowadays people want to see RPG with action-battles, action-games with RPG-elements. Is there a place for traditional RPGs like Suikoden? What are the pros and cons in this genre?

Sakiyama: The great pro is that everybody can understand and play such a game. The con is that the classical RPG is a little easy to play and not really enjoying. But that doesn't need to be a con. With this simplicity every player is feeling familiar with the game, that's very important in a consevative game like Suikoden. It's important for us that the player is familiar with the system. Our main difference with the normal RPGs is the headquarter-system.

Question: There are many characters who have a minor part in the game but are nearly more popular than the heros. Did you ever thought about it to develop a spin-off for these characters? Maybe an action-game, a party-game or at least a Beat'em Up?

Sakiyama: Neither we nor the fans would be satisfied with a fan-disc with mini-games. If we would develop such things it would have to be something for all players not only for the Suikoden players.

Question: Do you sometimes have the feeling that the players are annoyed with searching 108 characters and building their headquarter after a certain amount of sequels? Is it a problem with the main-plot when there are gathered 108 SoDs nearly every 10 years?

Sakiyama: Of course the 108 stars are a very important element of the Suikoden series. It's important for us to develop a game which enjoys the players. We create thrilling fights and battles, interesting events, mini-games and very individual characters. We hope of course that the players really like these characters.

Question: Do you already work on the next Suikoden episode? Can you tell us in which part of the Suikoden-world it will be placed or if characters from Suikoden I-IV will return?

Sakiyama: It's too early to talk about this. But we're pushing ourselves to make a game that is more different and represents more than the players expect by now."

I hope you can understand it and please excuse grammar mistakes, I gave my best.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:It says may not that it will.
I was only kidding. It goes without saying that it'll have references to the other games in the series, since they take place in the same universe.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Why do I feel like I just want this for the ps3 ONLY?