The Land of Wine

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Gorudo

The Land of Wine

Post by Gorudo »

As you all know, there have been references to Kanakan all through the Suikoden series.

Let's just look at locations of previous games first.
Suikoden II (Jowston, referenced MANY times in Suikoden I)
Suikoden III (Grasslands/Zexen, got a lot of references in II)
Suikoden IV (Island Nations, references throughout the series)

Suikoden V's location will not be mentioned.

There have been references made to Kanakan since the original Suikoden, and we still know very little about it. Really, all we know is that there is a lot of wine there. I'm gonna post this site's info about it before I continue.
Suikosource wrote:Kanakan
Kanakan is a place that exists south of Toran. It is said to be a warm place and is well known for its high quality liquor. Roundier Haia, who is Valeria and Anita's master in Falcon style fencing resides here. It is also said that a Sindar ruin lies hidden in Kanakan.
Blue Moon wrote:Blue Moon's Comment:
A sad place that is almost always mentioned due to its liquor. Many wonder whether Kanakan is some island, or is part of some other land mass. Heck, I don't even know if it's a nation. By the looks of it, it might simply be a name of a pub located south of Rikon, where drunken sword masters give lessons.
Characters Bearing References to Kanakan
Hoi
Lotte
Roundier Haia
Templeton
Valeria
Anita

Now, already I see one thing that occurs in every Suikoden game, the Falcon Rune. Also, there is a Sindar Ruin there, something needed in basically every game (except for the original) I'm 89% sure that Kanakan will be the focus of Suikoden VI with all the references and un-finished business out there.
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

Last time I checked, this isn't the Suikoden V section, so no mention of Suikoden V should be in here. Thank you - Tally It does seem most likely it would be set there however it has been talked about throughout the whole series and they havent made one yet about kanakan. what makes you think they will now? And 89% sure that is pretty high you must have some inside information.
And Let Us Not Lose Compassion....For Those Who Have Yet To Be Pardoned....
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

He intentionally left Suikoden V out, as he mentioned in his post. It's against the rules, no matter how minor it may seem.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

I'm interested as to where it actually is, since South of Toran could be the former Kooluk territory.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

Ushiku wrote:I'm interested as to where it actually is, since South of Toran could be the former Kooluk territory.

Or it could be at the south pole, and the reason why its so good is because its filtered ice cold XD
Gorudo

Post by Gorudo »

Ushiku wrote:I'm interested as to where it actually is, since South of Toran could be the former Kooluk territory.
That wouldn't work because there were references to Kanakan in Suikoden IV. If it was former Kooluk territory it would've still be Kooluk then.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

Oh yeah, Elanor and her wine. I forgot about that. I'm still wondering where the geographic location would be on the map.

I could see it now, the Tenkai recruits Roundier Haia but has to beat him/her? in a duel to win his/her services and a Falcon Rune.

Wine would be reasonably cheap because there's lots of it, but there could be merchant possibilities where you get to go to less populated parts of Kanakan or even close territories and sell them for a lot cheaper.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

It's location has been revealed alongside a number of other minor locations like the Black Dragon Isle in the preorder DVD that came with S5.

Kanakan is an island directly off the shore to the southeast of the Scarlet Moon Empire. The closest known location is Pannu Yakuta.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

Well being from PAL territory I wouldn't know that. I bet they didn't even make a Special Edition for PAL like they have elsewhere. Still no better at knowing when its released, it'll be here eventually *crosses fingers*

I'm glad to finally know where Kanakan is, thanks for that.

Could you possibly PM me with new revealed locations if its not too much trouble, I don't want to get off topic you see, plus it could be considered as spoilers.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

They have several maps on Theirstars.com. I'l link it. Just don't click on it if you don't want any S5 spoilers. Since theres no direct S5 information I dont' think linking is considered a spoiler. Just keep the discussion about Kanakan.

http://theirstar.com/images/atlas/wm_pol_lrg.jpg[/spoiler]
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

Thanks, that's cool.

I never realised Kanakan was so close to Toran.
Gorudo

Post by Gorudo »

See, with a Kanakan based Suikoden there is a lot of potential to bring back some characters and see some new faces too. Many characters mentioned Kanakan or being there at some point in every game. Valeria and Anita's relationship and rivalry can be explored further.

It could also bring back some characters from Suikoden I who didn't get nearly enough time. It could be based right after the War of Succession, so characters who left the SME after that (Like Georg Prime) could be included in the game.

The biggest issue is dealing with a true rune to go in Kanakan and whatnot. We really know very little about it besides the location and wine, so Kanakan is really just a blank slate to begin working off of.
Shikton

Post by Shikton »

I seriously doubt we'll see Kanakan as the Hero's home country. At best I would think it teams up with whatever army we control as an ally. The reason why I think so is because it's so tiny. Sure, it's bigger than the islands in the Island Nations Federation, but another one of those setups would be...horrible. :? Sea travel 4 teh l0se!
I am Shikton, the Slayer of Bunnies.
Masamune

Post by Masamune »

It's relative size means very little... just 'zoom in' the map a little bit in terms of proportion. In terms of map-size, it can be just as vast as any other game, even if the territory isn't quite as large.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I don't think Kanakan needs a True Rune, personally. I've always thought that since Roundier's students can use the Falcon style with different types of weapons, that he might have some rune that deals with swordplay, but maybe not.

And, as others have already said, the place is way too small for its own game, it seems. I'd much rather have Kanakan be a part of a much larger alliance or something.