Romance arc

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
mhatter106

Romance arc

Post by mhatter106 »

I'll probably get shot down for suggesting this, since I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but one thing I wish a future Suikoden would have (and maybe SV does, I dont know) is a more prominent and developed love story/romantic coupling.

I kind of like that sappy stuff, ie squall-rinoa from ff8.

I guess Tir had Kasumi, Riou had Eilie, Hugo had Belle, and Lazlo had... uhh.. I don't know (Millay maybe?), but each of these were just small little sidenotes things that could easily have been missed.

Thoughts?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

My thoughts are that I would enjoy romance if it was between non-teenagers. I didn't like Squall-Rinoa because it was so lame and immature. Such teen angst I can do without. Now Cecil and Rosa from FFIV I liked. They were a married couple who cared for each other. I'd like to see more of that. A game that ends with the marriage ceremony is really missing the point.

Edit: I just though of another romance I liked. In Lufia II, the main character (with the red hair) and his girlfriend (green hair) get married during the game and even have a son. Then the son gets in trouble and they have to rescue him. That was a wonderful use of drama and something unique. That kind of thing I'd like. If that'd work in a Suikoden is hard to say. In those games there's generally a huge war going on and there's not much time for romance when you're fighting for your life every day.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

I suppose it would be nice, add a little bit more flavor to the story though usualy you see the romance through the other characters and not the Tenkai star. Like the Tengaar/Hix story. Though I think Cecile definatly had a thing for Thomas (Hugo isn't the Tenkai star and shows no real interest in Belle, I always pegged him either with Lily or Chris but that's just me). As for Riou/Ellie and Tir/Kasmui it just seems once sided where the woman is interested but the Tenkai doesn't seem to indicate that, unless that's what you want so you could SAY they did but no real story to show it. I don't think Lazlo got with anyone and no one really seemed interested in him that way.

I think for a real romance of the Tenkai story we either need to go back to a Trinty like system or have a talking hero I wouldn't want it to be so one-sided . Maybe something closer to ff7's romance system might be more enjoyable. Still the basic theme for the TR bearers seems to be that they are loner's, that to be with someone they have to give up the Rune.

EDIT: I agree with Oppenhimer, Cecil and Rosa rocked!
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Yeah, youre right, the silent non-talking hero would have to be ditched if a tenkai romance were to be fleshed out. Well it needs to be ditched for other reasons as well too (I mean, in the era of voice acting, it's somewhat incredulous to think of 108 people gathered together, the one they choose to lead them is the one who doesn't talk.). Do we know if SV is talking/non-talking?

I too think Cecile had a thing for Thomas, and I actualy was fully expecting her to "express" as such in that one scene where she encoutners Hugo in the castle at night by the stairway balcony.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4421

This topic mentions silent heros and discusses the benefits and negatives of Suiko V being silent (it's a ways in, page 5 or something I think). But, I agree that the hero would have to have personality to be involved in a romance.
LeeMcDohl

Re: Romance arc

Post by LeeMcDohl »

mhatter106 wrote:I'll probably get shot down for suggesting this, since I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but one thing I wish a future Suikoden would have (and maybe SV does, I dont know) is a more prominent and developed love story/romantic coupling.

I kind of like that sappy stuff, ie squall-rinoa from ff8.

I guess Tir had Kasumi, Riou had Eilie, Hugo had Belle, and Lazlo had... uhh.. I don't know (Millay maybe?), but each of these were just small little sidenotes things that could easily have been missed.

Thoughts?
McDohl and Kasumi?
I didn't know Kasumi like him @.@
"... in the end, terms such as "victory" or "defeat" will be irrelevant"
~Bishop Sasarai
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

ShardStar wrote: I don't think Lazlo got with anyone and no one really seemed interested in him that way.
Millay was infatuated with Lazlo, she is seen always standing outside his door and when speaking to her it becomes evident that she has a thing for Lazlo, she also writes several letters in the comment box talking only about Lazlo

So just like Riou,Tir,Hugo,Geddoe and Chris, Lazlo has someone who likes him but he never even acknowledges it
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

Oppenheimer wrote: Edit: I just though of another romance I liked. In Lufia II, the main character (with the red hair) and his girlfriend (green hair) get married during the game and even have a son. Then the son gets in trouble and they have to rescue him. That was a wonderful use of drama and something unique. That kind of thing I'd like. If that'd work in a Suikoden is hard to say. In those games there's generally a huge war going on and there's not much time for romance when you're fighting for your life every day.
ya, i liked maxim and selans romance as well
Bob!?

Post by Bob!? »

im guessing lazlo dosent acknowledge it is because hes a mute :lol:
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

if you played suikoden tactics, you would see that lazlo has quite the personality and like I said...ALL THE HEROE'S have not had relationships and have had characters like/love them
Eao

Post by Eao »

if romance becomes the backbone of a new suikoden, then its not a suikoden. thats why heros don't have love intrests. this isn't final fantasy or a genieric fantasy story. if you want romance play Lunar or aomthing else.
the best thing about the internet is that they can't see you pick your nose
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

The reason they don't elaborate on the relationships, is because if they did the fanfiction writers would have nothing to write about. :wink: lol
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
LoganAlpha30X13

Post by LoganAlpha30X13 »

Maybe if they had missable scenes between the hero and several different women that he could woo if he chose to. Their affection towards him would revolve around how often they were in the party with the prince, how he would answer some of the questions that they'd ask him, his actions in battles and other places and things like that. They could then get married at the very end of the game with the lady being the one that he had the most points with or something, though it would be possible to play the game without doing much if anything about the romance for the main character, it'd just be another special thing in the game like fishing and trading and all of that. I'll go now....................
SinaiBeach

Post by SinaiBeach »

Romance blows. I dont think suikoden should do anything of that sort.
And Let Us Not Lose Compassion....For Those Who Have Yet To Be Pardoned....
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

Romance blows. I dont think suikoden should do anything of that sort
I disagree, romance doesn't blow, it just seems that way.
The Cecil/Rosa romance was fine, it just seems like romances blow cause most of them do blow, (im looking at you Square-Enix) almost all the love stories are about young (excuse me) idiots who couldn't express thier feelings if thier life depended on it...which half the time it does.
Not to mention the fact that so many love stories in games are the main focus of the story itself, it shouldn't be.

I wouldn't mind a love story in a future Suikoden game, as long as it didn't follow the same crappy trend...(looking at you again Square-Enix)if it involved an older couple, no teens please...*couge SE..cough* and the whole storyline wasn't based on love.