Kasios gender

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sasarai is cute

Kasios gender

Post by Sasarai is cute »

In the PAL version of Suikoden 1 Kasios is refered to as a "she" and only a she.

I don't understand where all this talk of her being a male comes from.
Those who fear dying deserves death.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Because Kasios is a guy. It was a typo.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Duke

Post by Duke »

to me he looks more like a guy then girl but it could be an easy mistake to consider him a girl in the game.
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the Japanese version said Kasios was a male but changed the gender to female before shipping it to the States because it was taboo to have two male characters in love. At least that's my understanding of it.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
Lore-Lai

Post by Lore-Lai »

Well, at least for me he's better than Onil overall
kelvingarinkz

Post by kelvingarinkz »

Kasios is in love with who ?
Millich ?
kelvin loves suikoden
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Not so much love, but more like admiration. Kasios admires Milich and his taste and apreciation in music; here's Kasios' character listing from Suikosource to support my post.
Suikosource Character Listings wrote:Kasios (Chigaku Star)
Origin: Unknown
Position: Meistersinger
Events: Gate Rune Wars
Kasios is a meistersinger under the service of Milich Oppenheimer. Kasios is completely loyal to Milich due to his understanding and appreciation of music: he only joined the Toran Liberation Army because Milich also joined. He continues to play music for Milich after the Gate Rune Wars.
kelvingarinkz

Post by kelvingarinkz »

so why they have to change his gender
kelvin loves suikoden
True Wind Bearer

kelvingarinkz wrote:so why they have to change his gender
Well, this information should give you an answer.
jonathan_priest wrote:Actually, if I'm not mistaken, the Japanese version said Kasios was a male but changed the gender to female before shipping it to the States because it was taboo to have two male characters in love. At least that's my understanding of it.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

In the Japanese version, Kasios and Milich are not in love at all. How it was written is that "Milich loves Kasios' music and Kasios loved the adoration." Somehow, this was translated as Kasios being in love with Milich.
True Wind Bearer

SARSadmin wrote:In the Japanese version, Kasios and Milich are not in love at all. How it was written is that "Milich loves Kasios' music and Kasios loved the adoration." Somehow, this was translated as Kasios being in love with Milich.
Ah, the Suikoden translaters strike again with another error.
Servonut

Post by Servonut »

Although I wholeheartedly agree that Kasios is male (I mean, c'mon. Who're we to argue with Konami?), I find it interesting to note that the fifth page of the fifth old book (titled "Craftsmen's Profiles") on the NTSC version is quoted as saying:
Kasios
Balladeer.
Deeply in
love with
Milch, to
whom she
sings.
Just finished replaying Suiko1 (beat it last night, in fact.), so this thread sorta jumped out at me. BTW, hello!
Last edited by Servonut on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Exactly. Not the mention that that was the only instance in the entire game which referred to Kasios using a pronoun, hence the confusion.
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

True Wind Bearer wrote:
SARSadmin wrote:In the Japanese version, Kasios and Milich are not in love at all. How it was written is that "Milich loves Kasios' music and Kasios loved the adoration." Somehow, this was translated as Kasios being in love with Milich.
Ah, the Suikoden translaters strike again with another error.
Didn't you know? Adoration for a person's TALENT becomes love for the person? :roll: I mean, I like certain songs, but I don't like the artist that sings them.

That's probably what happened when they translated the game.
Playing Suikoden III......
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

well main problem is japanese doesn't frequently use many gender specific pronouns when referring to ones self. There are several ways to say 'I' depending on gender but this is generally rather informal such as atashi and boku. Anime and manga use them often for emphasis and character exaggeration. When I got to seeing more live action shows and material though, they are used much less.

Often a translator doesn't get access to the details of every character in a game and thus when it is converted to make sense in English, assumptions are made that in Kasios' case was incorrect.

But the rest is simply not double checking. Considering the inconsitencies though regarding all of the games' translations.....