What happened to Ted and Mathiu at the end?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Basel

What happened to Ted and Mathiu at the end?

Post by Basel »

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what happened to Ted and Mathiu at the end of the Gate Rune War? I am currently reading off suikox.com and I got confused.
Last edited by Basel on Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Ted and Mathiu were both dead by the end of the war. Ted's soul was claimed by the Soul Eater at Seek Valley when Windy tried to use him to claim the rune and Mathiu was badly injured during the final confrontation outside of Gregminster. After hearing words of victory, he passed away.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Basel

Post by Basel »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:Mathiu was badly injured during the final confrontation outside of Gregminster. After hearing words of victory, he passed away.
Is there a scene in the game that shows this incident?
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

No, there is no scene that shows this.

Also, this question belongs in the Character Section since it doesn't pertain to gameplay
Basel

Post by Basel »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:No, there is no scene that shows this.
How did SARS Admin and other Suikoden fans get to know about it?
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Mathiu was injured during the attack on Shasarazade, not the attack on Gregminister.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Actually, there was a brief scene with Liukan and Mathiu for this incident towards the end of Suikoden.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Oh, yeah, that's right. The explosion and then Sanchez. Thanks, Jowy for that clarification.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Umm yea, there are scenes in the game for BOTH these incidents/deaths.

Ted commands the Soul Eater to take his soul cause he didn't want to be used and abused by Windy anymore. And this scene unlocks a spell of the Soul eater i think.

After you beat the final boss and run out of the collasping castle, there will be a sad scene with Mathiu in his deathbed, talking to Luikan and then passes away in peace, knowing Tir succeeded.

another recurring event in the suikoden series are collapsing final dungeons/castles. 1-castle,2-palace,3-ceremonial site,4-fort el-eal. All are collapsing right after you beat the final boss. So there's probably gonna be another collapsing final dungeon in suiko 5 also.
Strategy is the key to victory!
Basel

Post by Basel »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote: After you beat the final boss and run out of the collasping castle, there will be a sad scene with Mathiu in his deathbed, talking to Luikan and then passes away in peace, knowing Tir succeeded.
I remembered the scene now. At that time I thought that Mathiu felt asleep. I did not expect him to die :cry:
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

patapi wrote:Actually, there was a brief scene with Liukan and Mathiu for this incident towards the end of Suikoden.
Yeah, he died after the final attack on Gregminister, but he wasn't injured at the capital; he was injured at Shasarazade. Well, I can't really tell who this is directed at, since we aren't really in disagreeance about anything.
The_Face_of_Death

Post by The_Face_of_Death »

At the end, when Dr. Luikan tells Mathiu that the war is over, he says, "Now I can finally rest in peace..." :( Sad ending
MY SWORD STILL THIRSTS FOR BLOOD!!!!!!!!
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Nah, he didn't say "I can rest in peace." Mathiu instead questions his involvement in the war till the end, saying, "perhaps it was better if I spent the rest of my life at Seika, spending my days fishing idly" (or something like that.
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

And there are always the Character Bios at the end of the game to tell you what happened.

But, I believe Liukan wishes him a good rest or something like that. Been a while since I played.