Translation

A forum for questions and discussions about the Gaiden titles, Cardstories for the Gameboy Advance and the physical card game.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yeah, basically. There's probably about 200 pages worth of text.
Pureheart

Post by Pureheart »

Hey SARSadmin, have you ever thought of doing the translation for proportional payments? What I mean is you set yourself up a Paypal donation link where people can donate small amounts to the effort over time and at set intervals you translate a proportion of the text.

For example, you said you would translate it for $2000 right? Well, say that the Paypal brings in $200, you would then translate the first 10% of the text. At $400 you would then translate the next 10%, $600 the next 10%, and so on until the project is finally complete.

The great thing about this system is that neither you or the donators have anything to loose. If donations stop coming in, you are still payed for the perentage you did translate and the donators still get what they paid for.
EmperorLarot

Post by EmperorLarot »

Here's an idea for someone who can read the japanese with ease.
There's a computer product headphone set thing that when you speak out loud it types your words on your computer.

So basically it would be as hard as reading a book out loud and maybe a little minor editing the text later.

As for my own translation...it's off for the moment. I no longer even have a ps to play the game on. My cousin borrowed it and it got broke.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Pureheart wrote:Hey SARSadmin, have you ever thought of doing the translation for proportional payments? What I mean is you set yourself up a Paypal donation link where people can donate small amounts to the effort over time and at set intervals you translate a proportion of the text.

For example, you said you would translate it for $2000 right? Well, say that the Paypal brings in $200, you would then translate the first 10% of the text. At $400 you would then translate the next 10%, $600 the next 10%, and so on until the project is finally complete.

The great thing about this system is that neither you or the donators have anything to loose. If donations stop coming in, you are still payed for the perentage you did translate and the donators still get what they paid for.
I've thought about that. I may actually do that soon.
EmperorLarot wrote:Here's an idea for someone who can read the japanese with ease.
There's a computer product headphone set thing that when you speak out loud it types your words on your computer.

So basically it would be as hard as reading a book out loud and maybe a little minor editing the text later.

As for my own translation...it's off for the moment. I no longer even have a ps to play the game on. My cousin borrowed it and it got broke.
That sounds like a good idea. I will look into it. I am well known for my typos, so such a device would be ideal.
Pureheart

Post by Pureheart »

If you do, make certain to post it here. Granted I can not donate a lot at once, but I could probably spare some while I am working during the summer.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Actually I think both of those are very smart ideas. As for donations I'd say I'd be in the same situation as Pure and give some every now and again.
Here's an idea for someone who can read the japanese with ease.
These programs actually type as you read but I haven't seen one that TRANSLATES from one language to another. SARS would still have to READ a Japanese game in English, which if you speak two languages you'll know is bloody hard. It would still be faster though.....I think.
Tanx to Star of Destiny for making my av!!! 8^p
Algus

Post by Algus »

A direct translation would be pretty splotchy. I know that much, I did learn something in the semester of Japanese I took :p But perhaps if we could get something like that going someone else could come along and clean it up into something presentable. If I had access to the games I wouldn't be opposed to doing something like that.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Twas wondering if anyone could give me a translation of the McDohl scene in Suikogaiden Vol. 2. Thank you.
Viki

Post by Viki »

I don't want anyone to laugh at me but i am still stuck at the beginning, right after the opening sequence. I tired to buy a dictionary and maybe make something up but i still see them as just lines on each other.
So can anyone help tell me what to choose.... PLEASE!!!!!!
O.k, o.k, o.k don't sneeeze, don't sneeze, no, no NOOOOOOOOO!! Aaa AAACCHHHHHOOOO!!!!!
UUUhhhhh where am I this time?
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

If anyone's going to translate this whole game, it would be much easier to have a hacker extract the script files and then translate from that, than to translate the game while playing it.

If hackers are needed, requests can be posted at:
http://donut.parodius.com/?func=submit&spec=ad
------
Viki: If I remember correctly, there's no way to get stuck in Suikogaiden. Just keep pressing circle to advance the text.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

A direct translation would be pretty splotchy. I know that much, I did learn something in the semester of Japanese I took :p But perhaps if we could get something like that going someone else could come along and clean it up into something presentable. If I had access to the games I wouldn't be opposed to doing something like that.
I think SARSadmin would not have alot of problems with that.He's the one who translated Zodiac Sword you know.Lousy Konami translators with no Suikoden knowledge.....
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

A translation of Suikogaiden would be great... But I don't see it happening. From the looks of it there're many who said they would translate and later just gave up. Either because it was too difficult, they got too busy or just plain old lost interest in it.

I'd love to be proved wrong and someone actually does make a full translation but I dont' think it will happen. And I'm still a Japanese amateur (can't get the Kanji language right) so... Gah... :cry:
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Hehe, that'd be a nice side-project to work on later in my life. I'm learning Japanese at school at the moment and am pretty darn good at it too. I'm considering of taking my Japanese all the way to speaking fluently in the language, then I would most definitely read/play Suikogaiden(s) and the Suikoden novels.
skymansxeno

Post by skymansxeno »

"I've thought about that. I may actually do that soon."
(I know this was a while ago)

Yeah, this would be nice. I would probably be willing to give some good money to do this. Only problem is that there probably isn't many like me who are willing to part with money for it. I mean, we all know the basic story of the suikogaidens from what we have here at suikosource.

Plus, I would have to wait, at the very least, till next summer to do it. :P
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Yeah, basically. There's probably about 200 pages worth of text.
I did some calculation. If the text is packed into a similar format as the current Suikoden novels, there'd be roughly 350 pages. That's about 700 pages for both volumes.