[Codes] Gameshark codes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
sonic_Reaper

Re: [Codes] Gameshark codes

Post by sonic_Reaper »

Yes. Everything else seems to be working fine. She is on the tablet, on Richmond's investigation list, and she can be added and removed from the party. Anita will comment on Valeria being at the castle when she's not in the party but it doesn't seem like Valeria actually physically appears anywhere in the castle? I spent about a half hour yesterday running around looking for her, leaving and re-entering, and teleporting and blinking back. Other stars would change locations such as Sheena, but no Valeria. Does anyone know if the code doesn't activate the SoD actually appearing in the castle? :(
I assumed that the code changes some internal variable that ties things like castle location, tablet, investigation and adding to party all in one? But maybe not? I'm thinking of switching back to Kasumi and see if at least Kasumi comes back :?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

It's possible your selection sets event flags that are used for Rokkaku and other things in lieu of just checking to see who's been recruited. The recruit codes don't do anything except set the individual character's status. Anything else that might happen when you recruit someone is left to hope.
sonic_Reaper

Post by sonic_Reaper »

Pyriel wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:24 pm It's possible your selection sets event flags that are used for Rokkaku and other things in lieu of just checking to see who's been recruited. The recruit codes don't do anything except set the individual character's status. Anything else that might happen when you recruit someone is left to hope.
I would assume it works this way since there would be so many variables tied to that one event otherwise. It just seems strange no one else has noticed this oddity before.
Regardless I've reverted to an earlier save and will live with having chosen Kasumi. Either way, it's one selection of two that's necessary to proceed with the game though my preference is with Valeria. I was following a guide for the Clive quest and it was the first time I have ever selected Kasumi during any playthrough. I completed the quest at 18 and a half hours with at least 2-4 of every missable rune and armor, so it's definitely doable even with Valeria as a selection. This was on top of not being particularly efficient and doing things like getting two Black Urns and getting Nanami to level 99 and using the stat stone trick to round out her stats to the nearest 5 cause I'm OCD like that. :lol:
Aeonova

Post by Aeonova »

Still faithfully checking for any replies to my post on page 11 that looked like this:
Aeonova wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:16 pm I don't have my old PS1 and Gameshark Pro so I'm not able to make my own codes anymore. Any time I try to search for this, my google-fu fails (or it doesn't exist) and normally nets me Window Set item codes. I was hoping for a Window Modifier Code that I could use from the start of the game (not needing to go recruit Tenkou) to get something other than the initial gold-border window. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I could probably figure out the digits once I had the address, but if the code made this window with a black background, that would be great. I don't know how the values are handled (if the window type and the color are independent addresses).

sonic_Reaper

Post by sonic_Reaper »

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is an army name change code? I see snippets of the same requests for the other games in the series but was unable to locate one for Suikoden II. If anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated. :)
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

sonic_Reaper

Post by sonic_Reaper »

Pyriel wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:58 pm https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/198844 ... /faqs/7180

It's about halfway down.
Sweet thanks Pyriel.
Rizen

Post by Rizen »

cannot get this walk through walls command to work.. can anyone simplify it for me.. on epsxe, pal version
UnfadingOnes

Post by UnfadingOnes »

Hi,

First of all, Merry Christmas to all! Longtime lurker here, decided to start a new playthrough of S2 over the holidays.

I just have one question. On gamehacking.org and codetwink/wescastro, I've found a damage modifier code, for all characters and for the hero only.

All Characters Damage Modifier
50005224 0000
8002AB1A ????

Hero Damage Modifer
D0062124 ????
8002AB1A ????

I've been trying to get them to work by putting the usual modifers in the ???? areas, e.g. x2, x4, etc. but they don't seem to be working.

Can anyone help in figuring out how these codes work, and whether they are legit? Thanks!
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Not sure off the top of my head what the Hero one is doing. I didn't see a damage modifier for single characters on either site you mentioned, and I don't know what the top line would be checking. It's a conditional, so the second line will only run if it evaluates true. That means you can't just plug a random value in there.

In any case, it looks like these are meant to be pure value swaps, not multipliers. If they do anything at all, you'd want values larger than 2 or 4, if that's what you're trying, because you'd only do 2 damage, or have 2 attack going into the damage calculation.

What follows is just a general warning. If you haven't tried larger values already, do that first.

That region of memory (2AB1A) is either the temporary store the game uses to shuffle different transient variables around (things as frequently used as X,Y on the map, and things as fleeting as your selected teleport destination), or the actual region used for core engine modules (in-battle code, and the like). I don't remember the start and end of those regions just now. If it's the former, a lot of those cheat codes don't function right. People who made them sometimes didn't realize that they were dealing with memory that's actually not preallocated, and the addresses can change. It just happens that things are generally allocated the same when you use the same machine, and play the same part of the game repeatedly. And some things in that region are fixed for quick access, just to make things really confusing. Anyway, they make the codes, and then they don't work for other people because using a different machine, or playing a different point in the game results in different locations being used. If it's the latter, then part of the problem is that the battle code is refreshed after the first round for some reason, and most of the routines change locations. If the cheat was made in the first round, it will likely never work in the second and beyond, and if it was made in a round after the first, it'll never work at the start of battle.
UnfadingOnes

Post by UnfadingOnes »

Pyriel wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:43 pm Not sure off the top of my head what the Hero one is doing. I didn't see a damage modifier for single characters on either site you mentioned, and I don't know what the top line would be checking. It's a conditional, so the second line will only run if it evaluates true. That means you can't just plug a random value in there.

In any case, it looks like these are meant to be pure value swaps, not multipliers. If they do anything at all, you'd want values larger than 2 or 4, if that's what you're trying, because you'd only do 2 damage, or have 2 attack going into the damage calculation.

What follows is just a general warning. If you haven't tried larger values already, do that first.

That region of memory (2AB1A) is either the temporary store the game uses to shuffle different transient variables around (things as frequently used as X,Y on the map, and things as fleeting as your selected teleport destination), or the actual region used for core engine modules (in-battle code, and the like). I don't remember the start and end of those regions just now. If it's the former, a lot of those cheat codes don't function right. People who made them sometimes didn't realize that they were dealing with memory that's actually not preallocated, and the addresses can change. It just happens that things are generally allocated the same when you use the same machine, and play the same part of the game repeatedly. And some things in that region are fixed for quick access, just to make things really confusing. Anyway, they make the codes, and then they don't work for other people because using a different machine, or playing a different point in the game results in different locations being used. If it's the latter, then part of the problem is that the battle code is refreshed after the first round for some reason, and most of the routines change locations. If the cheat was made in the first round, it will likely never work in the second and beyond, and if it was made in a round after the first, it'll never work at the start of battle.
Hi Pyriel,

Thanks for the great explanation. Yeah I guess that sort of explains why the codes don't seem to work. The hero damage mod code is specifically in the Suikoden II section of gamehacking.org, under Misc Codes.

https://gamehacking.org/game/89944

Although I guess since it doesn't work, it doesn't really matter anyways.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I went and checked, and both addresses there are in space just prior to the game's executable modules (right above the battle modules, and right above the main module). I put a breakpoint on 2AB1A while in battle, and it never hit, and I ran a trace that included it. Never saw anything even get written there. I'm betting they worked fine for whoever wrote them, but I can't really do more than guess what they were trying to overwrite. I assume it's just replacing the temporary result of all the damage calculations, and it's just not stored in the same place they expect.

There are lot of codes like that on Gamehacking.org. Like the always roll 6 in Chinchirorin code that, as far as I know, has never worked for anybody after it was posted.
zerorage

Post by zerorage »

I tried using the Rope Game Cheat. But it does not work. Using ePSXE and the cheat function from there
Dify

Post by Dify »

Hello,is there a code where i can change where people hang out in castle?
I want to put flik on a tavern and nina to near the stage actually,thank you
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

No. Those things aren't fixed properties that are easily changed. Characters tend to hang out on different maps over the course of the game, and each map has scripting that relies on the state of different in-game events that will "spawn" the characters in those locations. It's not impossible to modify the game to put people in different places, and remove them from the original location, but codes for it would be prohibitively long at best.