Bug Fixes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Bug Fixes

Post by Pyriel »

For any Germans interested, I pushed a new version of the patch to the GitHub repository that fixes the bugs in Two River and Gregminster that can rope you into crashing/locking up your game.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

This is amazing. After all these years ... do you know what caused the bug?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yes and no. The text display is sort of limit, and while ordinary speech can probably overrun the box without much issue, it caused problems when there's a choice. If there are enough lines of text that it overflows vertically, the game seems to get confused about what it's supposed to display firstly, and it breaks the selections if the player tries to interact with lower options.

I didn't actually watch what happened in the code, but my suspicion is that an incorrect option value is returned. Under normal circumstance, the scripts will indicate that the player must make a choice, from X number of options represented by however many text strings. Then the options are numbered, and when the player makes a selection it actually runs through the remainder of the script looking for the appropriately numbered block of code. Each block is terminated by the same set of values that indicates the end of any event script. So either it reaches the end of the entire script without finding a block of code to run, or it accidentally runs an incorrect block of code that appears to correspond to the bad option number from the input. Either way, you'll get to the end of the script fragment without having run the correct code, and either the game has nowhere to go subsequently, due to event flags and the like not getting set, or control flags are left set that render other script un-runnable, or any of dozens of different possibilities.

For Two River, they added an extra line break to give emphasis to the hero saying, "always," I guess. That option takes three lines of the four that are allowed. The second option had two lines just due to its length. Daring to press down caused the game to get lost, and I'm not sure you could even safely pick the first option at that point. In Gregminster, they had three options and sort of arbitrarily decided to put line breaks in two of them. More for looks maybe, because neither was in much danger of overrunning the margins of the box. Since the last option there is required to continue from that point, you're doomed if you get to that screen. In both cases, reformatting so the text all fits in one display fixes the issue.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I'll just pretend as if I've udnerstood anything of your explanation. But given that the German translation is even worse than the English one, it is no miracle that it also has strange issues on the technical side. It's especially interesting that the Gregminster bug has been known for years, but the Two River one has never occurred.

Anyway, thanks a lot for fixing these issues!
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

How is it that you have taken care of the German version?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

How do you mean? I have a German copy of the game, and the nuts and bolts of it are essentially identical to the US version.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Do you understand the language as well?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Not really. I might get the gist if people keep talking long enough, but a lot of the time I think I'm more confused than I would be if I understood none of it.
Translation apps and dictionaries are things, though, and the saves are basically interchangeable by editing the file IDs. I just took a couple of US saves I had, made the changes, and played through the minimum amount of story I could. To fix these issues, I didn't have to make meaningful changes to the text. I just removed some control characters.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

I see ....
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

New minor bug. When recruiting Anita at Muse, if you get her liquor request when you're supposed to visit Jowston Hill for the meeting, Leona has fixed story lines and won't give the liquor. When you are out of the story event (after Muse war battle) you can continue the request, but completing it doesn't raise Anita's "points" at all. It's only a minor issue overall, but just wanted to note it. Found by z3r01337.
Z3R01337

Post by Z3R01337 »

So dug into the Anita bug and it's not actually a bug, I just didn't understand how she worked. I wrote up an explanation here: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =9&t=14624
Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko »

Is this a valid download link for the latest public patch? http://www.suikosource.com/games/gs2/guides/patches.php

Or is this repository considered the latest public patch now? https://github.com/pyriell/gs2-bugfixes

Oh, and BTW - is this the latest patch for GS1? https://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 48#p157748
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

The GitHub link is the place for the latest Suikoden 2 patch. I lost my access to update the SuikoSource site sometime back, and just haven't bothered to ask about the new logon.

As to the Suikoden 1 patch, there was only ever one version of it, and that's it. There was precious little that needed fixing, really. The only other fix I could make is for a glitch in the somewhat mysterious 1.1 version of the game that causes data-only scan lines that should be off screen to be visible on some emulators. However, I can't recall if I ever even found a download of version 1.1.
Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko »

Pyriel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:36 am The GitHub link is the place for the latest Suikoden 2 patch. I lost my access to update the SuikoSource site sometime back, and just haven't bothered to ask about the new logon.

As to the Suikoden 1 patch, there was only ever one version of it, and that's it. There was precious little that needed fixing, really. The only other fix I could make is for a glitch in the somewhat mysterious 1.1 version of the game that causes data-only scan lines that should be off screen to be visible on some emulators. However, I can't recall if I ever even found a download of version 1.1.
OK, I'll use the patches from those links then.

I have one question, though. My disc image is a .bin file with the .cue file attached. Your patcher successfully completed the job, but it only generates one file, with no extension. Is this generated file a .bin file and if yes, do I have to generate a new .cue file or will the original one work with the patched .bin file?

I'm preparing this for PSIO and that's why I need to use a .bin file.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

The patcher only reads and only produces ISO files, but for PSX disc images the distinction between BIN and ISO is pretty blurry. So you should be able to just rename it to match your CUE file's expectations and go from there.

The patcher doesn't auto-append an extension. It just did what you told it to when you specified your output file name.