Badly named characters

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Badly named characters

Post by wataru14 »

I would agree with all of sticky-runes' choices, but I have to add Gordon, Sarah, Hugo, and Gau to the list (especially Gordon). In a fantasy setting where people can be named literally anything there is no excuse for re-using names. Unless there is a plot reason (like with the two Thomases in S3). This is doubly true when the person with the duplicate name serves the same function as the previous namesake (and holds the same damn star! ... Gordon)
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:... really? This was a joke by Wolkendrache. With a family name like Yamamoto and members of the family being named Yoshino and Sanae, Freed just does not fit. The same would be having a Silverberg with very western names (which they actually already have), and then just call one of them in a very exotic way.
Ah well...to begin with Freed doesn't look like a Japanese guy at all. Yoshino looks more Japanese though. Mathiu on the other had looks somewhat like Chinese but he has a Western name.
wataru14 wrote:I would agree with all of sticky-runes' choices, but I have to add Gordon, Sarah, Hugo, and Gau to the list (especially Gordon). In a fantasy setting where people can be named literally anything there is no excuse for re-using names. Unless there is a plot reason (like with the two Thomases in S3). This is doubly true when the person with the duplicate name serves the same function as the previous namesake (and holds the same damn star! ... Gordon)
I actually thought those Gordons were the same person when I played SIII for the first time, even if they were totally diferent-looking. By the way Yuber looks totally different in SIII than he does in the previous games, but we all know he's the same person.

Maybe Konami did it on purpose, to confuse fans?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

In the Suikoden 3 manga, when Hugo is born, Lucia gives him the name Hugo saying it's an old Karayan word for "Arrow Feathers". I'm not sure if this is official in-game mythology, or if it was just the author taking creative liberties. According to wikipedia, the real world name Hugo is of Germanic origin meaning "Bright in Mind" or "Intelligence" which probably suits the librarian character more.

I'm also bugged by the spelling of Trishtan. I love the name Tristan, but why have they put a f#cking H in there?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote: I'm also bugged by the spelling of Trishtan. I love the name Tristan, but why have they put a f#cking H in there?

For the same reason Mathiu is called "Mathiu" instead of "Matthew" and Georg is called "Georg" instead of "George".
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Georg and George are two different pronunciations, though.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

The Kana says Tristan, Georg (german pronunciation), and Giorgio (italian). In Georg's case it was a good idea to give him the english pronunciation, as the german one sounds like "gay-org". I actually like the sound of Trishtan.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

As for Geddoe and Jacques, it would make more sense if they were named King and Jack respectively. Maybe Jacques resembles Jack by some degree, but if he was called Jack it would be better, since the other members of the team have names inspired from Playing Cards.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I like the "gay-org" pronunciation because it sounds like "gay orgasm", but the voice actors calling him "George" sounds fine because George is a very popular name in English speaking countries, and it suits a character who is a famous legendary warrior (St. George and all that).

Tristan was also the name of a mythical warrior who fell in love with Princess Isolde and was possibly the inspiration for the Lancelot and Guenevere affair, which doesn't really resemble Trishtan from Suikoden 4 and tactics in any way, but I would have preferred the spelling.
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

I always thought Quincy was an uninspired choice for a "master huntsman". Boone woulda been pretty badass. Or Danny B if we're going down the Freed Y route.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote: Tristan was also the name of a mythical warrior who fell in love with Princess Isolde and was possibly the inspiration for the Lancelot and Guenevere affair, which doesn't really resemble Trishtan from Suikoden 4 and tactics in any way, but I would have preferred the spelling.
So what name would resemble his unique personality?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

sticky-runes wrote:In the Suikoden 3 manga, when Hugo is born, Lucia gives him the name Hugo saying it's an old Karayan word for "Arrow Feathers".
So what does "Anne" mean in Old Karayan?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:
sticky-runes wrote: Tristan was also the name of a mythical warrior who fell in love with Princess Isolde and was possibly the inspiration for the Lancelot and Guenevere affair, which doesn't really resemble Trishtan from Suikoden 4 and tactics in any way, but I would have preferred the spelling.
So what name would resemble his unique personality?
Mr. Manfluson

wataru14 wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:In the Suikoden 3 manga, when Hugo is born, Lucia gives him the name Hugo saying it's an old Karayan word for "Arrow Feathers".
So what does "Anne" mean in Old Karayan?
Minge of the Valley
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:
Mr. Manfluson

Which means?

And I don't recall anyone being referred to as "Mister" in Suikoden at all. I've seen "Lord", "Sir", "General", "Prince", "King", "Master"...but never "Mister".
borjitasstoi

Post by borjitasstoi »

Prefer Karakurimaru than Gadget
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:
Mr. Manfluson

Which means?

And I don't recall anyone being referred to as "Mister" in Suikoden at all. I've seen "Lord", "Sir", "General", "Prince", "King", "Master"...but never "Mister".
Man Flu. You know, that awful condition us blokes become afflicted with that women don't understand. Trishtan has my utmost respect for fighting all those monsters while struggling with his horrible bouts of man flu.

And practically every little boy NPC we meet in the Suikoden universe addresses the main character as "Hey, Mister".
And I think Ramada addresses Akaghi as Mister Akaghi.