Star Wars VII The Force Awakens *SPOILERS*

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Star Wars VII The Force Awakens *SPOILERS*

Post by sticky-runes »

Anyone seen it yet?

What did you think of it?

Are you a big fan of Star Wars?

I was a Star Wars geek in my teens, but then I started getting into other things (like Suikoden) and realised i was more into fantasy than sci-fi.

So anyway, I watched the new film last night and there were parts I did like and parts I didn't like.

I don't think they should have brought back the old actors playing their characters from the original movies, I would have been quite happy not knowing what became of them after Return of the Jedi (maybe just keep Luke in the story and leave everyone else out of it)

The story seems kind of lazy as they are basically retelling the same story from the original trilogy, just with a new generation of characters.

And the new characters aren't all that interesting, with the exception of the spinning little robot. The villains suck. Even the prequels had some decent bad guys.

So yeah, it was a decent sci-fi adventure, capable of appealing to sci-fi fans and non-sci-fi fans alike, but it wasn't really enough to reawaken my interest in Star Wars. I'm not exactly wetting myself for the next film.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens *SPOILERS*

Post by wataru14 »

I loved it. It was everything I hoped it would be. The only things I didn't like were Kylo Ren (aka Darth Emo) and tgat I had no idea what the political situation was. But as a whole it made me feel like the originals did.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

I'm quite a SW fan. Loved the movie Yes, its new hope 2.0 but eh, at least is entertaining and things happen. There is new races, new likeable characters.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the villain, not the villain itself, he was fine conceptually, its just his face, guy who portrays Kylo is plain as fark, when he removed the mask it was like "WOW its nothing!"
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

He was a right ugly cunt with that nose.

And we really needed some more information on the politics.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

I am a big star wars fan but honestly the movie was awesome. Kilo Run was a great villain cause he was not one dimensional. I do agree that the story seemed like a rehash of episode 4 in a way, but at the same time it was different. I cannot wait for episode 8!
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

The worst part of the entire film was the fellow Glaswegian proclaiming that "there are two fugitives on board this ship." This is what happens when you try to contain and smooth out the rugged splendour of our accent! :lol:

Suppose it's something different having a villain (Kylo) that is very unsure of himself. In the trailers I certainly thought he was going to be a total badass. I look forward to them fleshing his character out, a lot more to come from him I reckon.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Just watched Rogue One and thought it was amazing. In fact I'd even go so far as to say it's my favourite Star Wars movie of the lot. So yeah, Force Awakens is the worst and Rogue One is the best! :mrgreen:
KennethDill

Post by KennethDill »

sticky-runes wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:59 am Just watched Rogue One and thought it was amazing. In fact I'd even go phenq interdit en france so far as to say it's my favourite Star Wars movie of the lot. So yeah, Force Awakens is the worst and Rogue One is the best! :mrgreen:
I won't term Star Wars VII The Force Awakens as the worst movie, but yes, there were some parts in the movie that were not so good. But yes, the Rogue One is the best!
Last edited by KennethDill on Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:57 am, edited 6 times in total.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I watched Last Jedi the other day. It was better than I thought it would be, but they are still basically recreating events from the original trilogy with different characters. And I thought it dragged on way too long. The scene with the girl in the bomber dropping the switch and then catching it and then dropping it and catching it again didn't need to be that long, surely....
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

I felt so much of the ridiculous stuff in The Force Awakens depended on the rest of the movies, since TFA was teasing so much about Rey's past, her ridiculous and familiar skill using the Force, and her connection to Luke's lightsabre. When Rey and Chewy came back from the new death star without Han, Leia completely ignored Chewy and hugged Rey. There had to be a reason for so much nonsense. But no, The Last Jedi said TFA was a fraud, and TLJ was a complete failure of a story as well. I haven't bothered to watch Solo and will probably still watch Episode IX, but without any expectation of the story being any good--it's too hard to save in my opinion.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I think another problem is that the movies have gone into so much detail about the villains of the original trilogy (A whole trilogy of movies explaining Darth Vader's origin, Palpatine's rise to power and the Jedi being wiped out, and they are STILL making prequel movies that shed more light on how the Empire works) and yet we've got hardly any explanation about Snoak and the Order, so are we to expect yet more in-between stories to fill the gaps between episodes 6 and 7?

Or, was the intention with the new movies to try and use up the original cast as much as they can before they either die off or retire, and then recast all those characters with young actors starring in all new prequels and in-between movies?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

nobody even cares about Snoke, because he didn't even make it the last film. he was supposed to be so damn powerful yet was easily fooled and is no longer relevant.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Well, a lot of star wars fans appreciate useless characters, I mean look how popular Boba Fett was.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I did like that Rose chick, to be honest. She had a sort of Nanami appeal about her. I could imagine the actress doing the voice of Nanami in a video game or animated movie. Maybe even the motion capture if they went that far.