Death in Battle?

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Any death on the battlefield causes you to permanently lose that character
(obviously) and you cannot get the 108 SoD bonus.

Characters who are intricate to the plot or die as part of the plot cannot die on the battlefield.
Merlock
Location: Staying at Greenhill...next stop - Matilda Knightdom!

Post by Merlock »

Well saves are as saves do, hehe :twisted:
Saving at an inn, traveler's crystal or any other place is a real life saver, especially in regards to this topic's name.

Wonder why I never lost any characters even when playing without any guide...
I mean the kind of battles where your army is less in quantity than the oponent's are key to the storyline so the characters in them don't die where as the battles where your army is equal to or larger than the opponent's are pretty tough to lose, especially if you recruit all the characters that you can up to that point. So technically you kinda really need to stretch the battle out or battle without any care to lose units, at least as I see it...
Merlock Fang - apprentace mage, brilliant tactician and hopeless romantic, at your service...
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

I think it's all a matter of luck, and no little bit of skill. For one, as we're talking specifically GS2, you can arrange units in your army. Even if you're doing the Clive quest, do so. Try to balance out a team and don't allow any weak defense teams to take the frontline. Pay attention to what units are in front when the battle starts, so if your character dies and you reload from the last save, make sure those units are beafed up some. Oulan and Humphrey are real lifesavers, as are anyone with high defensive ratings. That, and pay attention to the numbers when you're fighting. If someone has a high attack rating and is an infantry type, hit them from afar with Bombard, Lightning/Wind/Fire magics, or even regular Arrow/Magic attacks. Don't let yourself actually engaged the enemy physically unless you have to, or unles the enemy attacks you.

Honestly, the only character I remember losing in GS2 has been that damned useless merc Gilbert, and only in the battle where you recruit him. Every other time, my strategy keeps my units on the field, and if they do lose, luck keeps them alive.

I suppose, though, one thing I hadn't considered trying - and it may be unrealistic to do so statwise, I'm not sure - is to have your plot-necessary characters on the front lines of every battle.