[FAQ] Requirements to continue story (meeting Pilika)

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: [FAQ] Requirements to continue story (meeting Pilika)

Post by wataru14 »

Wow! A 15-year mystery is finally and definitively solved.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Awesome work. Haha! This is very helpful for people aiming for a minimum recruit game tearing their hair out for hours when the scene wouldn't trigger.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

As for time's role in this, I can figure that out, if I can pin down the script responsible for checking these values. I don't have my PSX Dev environment or emulators set up right now, but that's really the best way to get a solid answer to such problems. Although, you have enough here to build strategies on.

My best guess, going by the accounts here, is that the script does something like (hours * 3 + {0x6AD7E}) >= 17. This assumes that the guy on gamefaqs entered the Mercenary Fortress once (which is probably a requirement anyway, even if only implicitly), and didn't account for talking to one innkeeper or leaving and reentering the Fortress at least one additional time. So in his first case, with 1:xx showing on the play clock and two recruits, he has 12 + 3 * 1 = 15 points, not enough. When he waits until 2:xx is showing, he has 12 + 3 * 2 = 18 points, so plenty. Then in the second case, I assume he's earned at least 2 points naturally by entering the Fort and/or talking to innkeepers, so waiting 5 hours puts him right at the threshold. However, the game has the ability to spawn additional timers and countdowns, so the play clock may not truly factor in, even if it can be used by the player as an indicator. Additionally, I'm just assuming they took a sane route and allowed the timers to contribute value to the score check, instead of having bizarre logic like, "(points > 15 and clock > 1) OR (points > 13 and clock > 1:30) OR (points > 11 AND clock > 2)...(points > 0 and clock > 5)" or something equally horrendous.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

I can verify this,with the 17 points.

I entered and exit the FOrt 17 times,and Pilika appeared,so i went to SIndar only with Gengen.

The clock was about 1 hr and a couple of mins,and i didn't left Nanami in Kyaro (i don't know if it counts)
veeshadow

Post by veeshadow »

It will be faster if you just do inn trick (rest but don't pay), Nanami doesn't matter if you leaver her or not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6LBLLhshzk
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee89 ... encard.gif

S2 Perfect Game Challenge !!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBCB3CE3392687908

Why Ridley keep appearing in random thumbnails in my videos. OMG Ridley stop terrorize me !!!!
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

So a note on that video and its comments:

-The number is exactly 17 points. I have confirmed this many times in a variety of ways.
-You don't need to select "stay" when talking to the innkeeper, you just have to talk to him. You can close the dialog box as soon as it is open and still get the point.
-There may be yet other ways to increase the counter, but if they exist then they are less convenient than any other ways to accumulate points. Such things would be waiting an arbitrary length of time. I have a feeling that the game might give out a point or two every time the game clock hits :00 or :30 since it seems to like doing that for other game mechanics, such as Rare Finds. But again, I haven't spent much time checking it since it's still not convenient compared to talking to innkeepers or re-entering the Fort.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I'm so glad this mystery has finally been solved!
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Kibit1005

Post by Kibit1005 »

I believe the only requirement is getting Kinnison and Shiro. Coz I tried getting Rikimaru, Millie, Zamza but to no avail.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

The answer is in the initial post of this thread and it's already crystal clear. Rikimaru, Millie, and Zamza will only net you 15 points, so you still need 2 points whether by doing two of the 1-point events or recruiting Kinnison and Shiro.
Kibit1005

Post by Kibit1005 »

It's not just that bec. when I was doing the the matilda glitch I've entered inn so many times and I already recruited Rikimaru, Millie and Zamza but still Pilika didn't show up. I tried reloading the game and just recruited Kinnison and Shiro, then boom.. Pilika showed up. So I believe it is the only requirement to trigger that scene.
Kibit1005

Post by Kibit1005 »

Just to be sure... I'll try it again later with a new game. XD
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

It's been verified by monitoring the count in memory. It's possible that only certain inns contribute to the counter, since you shouldn't really have access to the ones in the Highway Village, Rockaxe and so forth.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

You ENTERED the inn? That's not enough, you have to talk with the innkeeper. Maybe I misunderstood you.

And the info is definitely correct, if you look at a speedrun, they just talk to an inn keeper several times to trigger the event.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Correct, the trigger is opening a dialog with the innkeepers in either Ryube or Toto. You don't have to stay nor do you have to select any of the options, but the dialog box just has to appear. Alternatively you could just enter and leave the Merc Fort a bunch, which does not have a dialog box requirement.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Do we have to enter the building(fortress)?
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account