Characters you actually wouldn't recruit

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Characters you actually wouldn't recruit

Post by Wolkendrache »

Were there any SOD that made you think „A###ole! If it wasn’t for the best ending and if I was given the choice, I wouldn’t recruit you”?

Mine are:
Ridley – for being fond of birching
Moroon – for being a stubborn racist
Freed, Galleon and Isato – for choosing their professional duties over anything else (eventually it's ok because you recruit "anything else")
Euram – for following his father instead of his sister
Zamza – for his arrogance
Kirke – He was working for a corrupted empire, led by magically deluded generals. How many innocent people did he decapitate? An executioner who became jobless just doesn’t make me emphatic
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Characters you actually wouldn't recruit

Post by patapi »

While I try to understand the possible reasons why Konami did what they did for plot-related reasons, I'd rather not have Suikoden III's Destroyers on the Tablet of Promise. Waste of precious space. And I don't even have a choice not to "recruit" them.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Kage. He doesn't care about overthrowing the Empire, he's just on sale to whoever can afford his fee. OK, he delivered the fire spear blue prints for us. He also stole the burning Mirror blue prints which allowed Kwanda to wipe out the elves, and he helped Jowy take down Muse. Besides that, he's a cunt who acts like a badass.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I'm pretty sure we already had that topic somewhere?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

yeah we did. i must have added about 25788 entries :P
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Maybe you're talking about the topic where people generally mentioned characters they don't like. No wonder you added so many entries, sticky ;-)
The reason was mostly "because he/she is annoying". They mentioned Lym and Kasumi etc., but I would never tell them "Step off, asshole!"
I'm actually asking for characters, that, in your opinion, doesn't fit into the army for (subjective) ethical/philosophical/moral reasons, characters that have something evil about them in your opinion.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Chaco. That is all. Piss on him. Maybe there are some nice axe murderers that I could recruit instead of him?
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

patapi wrote:While I try to understand the possible reasons why Konami did what they did for plot-related reasons, I'd rather not have Suikoden III's Destroyers on the Tablet of Promise. Waste of precious space. And I don't even have a choice not to "recruit" them.
I have to agree with patapi here. The destroyers were really a waste. Wasn't the tablet supposed to be a list of those siding the Tenkai? I'd rather have some other oddballs as opposed to them :/

As for my personal choices:
Esmeralda - More on the technical aspect though. She doesn't contribute anything at all... Maybe she can shoot lasers out of her Opal ring, now that'd be nice.
Kage - Same as sticky's reason above. Unethical piece of sh*t. I hate any of the for hire ninjas honestly.
Window makers - I really wonder how the hell they really contribute. Windows? For the castle? For what :/
Music changers - Same as above.
Jess - A baseless accuser, driven by pure emotion. I hate his attitude and his face.
Meese - He keeps complaining how crowded the castle is.
Ledon/Krin - They always put Tir into trouble, almost had him killed then suddenly joining? No thanks.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I don't like the Destroyers on the tablet for the simple reason that it makes no sense plot-wise that a group of people are suddenly forced on the tablet when in every other game before and after everyone else had to make an active choice to join you to appear on it.

As for people I wouldn't actually recruit: Guillaume. Yeah, sure Kidd says he's not an actual pedophile but it's still creepy as hell.

Then there's Euram. I just can't believe someone would have such a total 180 of his character, and the stuff he tried to pull is reprehensible anyway.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
BrucePrintscreen

I would not add Sierra for all the many reasons which makes me hate Sierra. Obnoxious selfish idiot who only cares for her stupid little emo story, unsympathetic to anyone, etc.

I also do not think it is appropriate to recruit Qlon, he is a poor little boy who can't fight for himself (some young characters at least have superpowers to protect their lives in battles) and you drag him in a war? That's a bit too Sierra-Leone-level creepy for me.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

There is no way I would accept Chaco after his antics when we first enter Two River. Even after he becomes your friend, he says "I never thought a small fry like you could save us" or something like that, who the f#ck is he to call Riou a small fry?? I'd rather they let us recruit Susu instead, at least she was reasonable.
Ridley – for being fond of birching
You can actually follow Ridley's influence if you choose to stay in the castle during the Greenhill battle. Apple makes a comment about how you could learn from Hauser's skill as a general, and the option comes up to say "100 lashings for Hauser"
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

sticky-runes wrote:I'd rather they let us recruit Susu instead
I would love this.
BrucePrintscreen

wataru14 wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:I'd rather they let us recruit Susu instead
I would love this.
Me too, I bet she has incredible magical powers.

Also, who else here hoped desperately to the end that Culgan and Seed would join your side at some point? I love these guys, I see them as the Highland version of Flik and Viktor.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I would not add Sierra for all the many reasons which makes me hate Sierra. Obnoxious selfish idiot who only cares for her stupid little emo story, unsympathetic to anyone, etc.
She is searching for Neclord almost 400 years, she is older than most empires/states and has seen many wars and people die. Why would she care for human individuals? From her perspective they will die tomorrow. If there's something that doesn't make sense, then it's her having a relationship with a human swordsman from Harmonia. Moreover, killing Neclord will probably save more lives than those that could be saved in one particular war. How many lives did he take and would have been taken in all those centuries?
sticky-runes wrote:There is no way I would accept Chaco after his antics when we first enter Two River. Even after he becomes your friend, he says "I never thought a small fry like you could save us" or something like that, who the f#ck is he to call Riou a small fry?? I'd rather they let us recruit Susu instead, at least she was reasonable.
He's a teen, of course he's a brat, and he's living in the bronx of Two River. Yet, he joins because he wants to protect the people and the City he loves. If it makes you happy, there is another winger who only joins so he can scare Chaco. I'd rather kick out Sid.
BrucePrintscreen wrote:Me too, I bet she has incredible magical powers.
The True Spinach Rune...
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Wolkendrache wrote: He's a teen, of course he's a brat, and he's living in the bronx of Two River. Yet, he joins because he wants to protect the people and the City he loves. If it makes you happy, there is another winger who only joins so he can scare Chaco. I'd rather kick out Sid.
If I'm gonna have to put up with that mouthy little gobshite who takes every opportunity to pull out the race card, then I will gladly accept someone who wants to bully him.
BrucePrintscreen wrote:Me too, I bet she has incredible magical powers.
A winger version of Hellion would be pretty awesome, but even if she was a non-combatant, at least she would have some interesting stories to tell.