No more trading in suikoden games. EVER.

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Antimatzist

Re: No more trading in suikoden games. EVER.

Post by Antimatzist »

Yes! Actually, I always hoped udehuc would work a bit like that. Storywise, they emphasized the free-trading-spot thing a lot, but didn't use it as a game mechanic.

Anyway, they definitely need to change something about the trading system. Even though it makes Suikoden more unique, it doesn't make it really better. The same (at least to me) with appraisal shops. I love the idea, but in the end you don't need an appraiser in your castle since there is one in every town and they are all the same.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

They could probably just integrate the appraisal function into either the trade system or item shop. If there was the added benefit of potential upgrades from the shops' incomes or whatever then it would serve more purpose.

They really should consider some of this kind of stuff in future install... Oh, right. Forgot we were talking about Konami. So when we violate some copyright laws and patents to make SVI ourselves... Lol
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

trading was a fantastic way to make money (on II at least, I didn't do it so much on the other games) as long as you followed a guide. and it was optional in all of them. if you're thinking it may take away from design hours for other features, yeah i guess, but i still think it's the best way to get money. swarming the final boss dungeons was a good way too though, tis true
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

amelia108 wrote:trading was a fantastic way to make money (on II at least, I didn't do it so much on the other games) as long as you followed a guide. and it was optional in all of them. if you're thinking it may take away from design hours for other features, yeah i guess, but i still think it's the best way to get money. swarming the final boss dungeons was a good way too though, tis true
The only Suikodne in which I used trading (except Tierkreis) was IV, because it lacked Dungeons and I didn't want to fight that much. So I traded Pearls and some other stuff, that was pretty ok.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

I have to agree with you Antimatzist, IV is the most enjoyable trading as the player had a real reason for doing it. Money (which was pretty hard at the beginning) and the unique equips one can obtain through the tradable items.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Antimatzist wrote: The same (at least to me) with appraisal shops. I love the idea, but in the end you don't need an appraiser in your castle since there is one in every town and they are all the same.
True, Appraisers are lame, there' no kind of upgrade available. We can upgrade our smithy to the maximum level that town smiths can't handle. Our shop keepers get access to items we find in every new town we visit. And appraisers never change - booorrriiing.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

It'd be cool if appraisers could have skill levels in the same way blacksmiths do. Like in the shops where it's literally just a kid with a magnifying glass, you could only appraise the low-selling, basic antiques. Then in the more posh cities there might be better appraisers or something. That way, earlier on in the game (before storage), you could choose to either get rid of the ones you can't identify, or hang on to them as an investment.

I think it'd be cool, anyway.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
LadyCyclone

Post by LadyCyclone »

I find trading really pointless and annoying; the one and only time I ever completed the trading game was in Suikoden 2 because I wanted to save Nanami. Now that I'm playing Suikoden V again and want to get the best ending, I'm going to have to complete this one too. But I've already began - with salt!
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I love trading! But perhaps that's because I'm an antique dealer. If I had a free vault like Barbara and a free & instant logistics like Viki, my job would be a piece of cake.

I noticed the lack of a guide on trading in Suikoden 2 on the website, I'll be working on a complete one, perhaps it would help you guys enjoy it more :)
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I love trading! But perhaps that's because I'm an antique dealer. If I had a free vault like Barbara and a free & instant logistics like Viki, my job would be a piece of cake.

I noticed the lack of a guide on trading in Suikoden 2 on the website, I'll be working on a complete one, perhaps it would help you guys enjoy it more :)
I for one would appreciate that. While I understand that trading requires simple logic, many still get confused how it actually works due to the lack of guides and whatnots of how to actually do it :/. So I'll give that a go.
BrucePrintscreen

I'm still working on it actually, don't worry guys it's coming soon. I did a VERY extensive exploration of the trading gameplay.

But as I requested somewhere else, if anyone ever looked in the code of the game to see the mechanism, that would help me.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I think a quick guide that can be printed on a single A4 sheet would be fine, simply mentioning the most rare and valuable items that will get us the most cash like 5000 or above. Can't be bothered with collecting loads of salt and sh!t.
BrucePrintscreen

sticky-runes wrote:I think a quick guide that can be printed on a single A4 sheet would be fine, simply mentioning the most rare and valuable items that will get us the most cash like 5000 or above. Can't be bothered with collecting loads of salt and sh!t.
Collecting salt? That's the worst trade in the game! Similarily with sugar, mayo, and all that crap. Most of the goods in the trading posts are here for cosmetics because the potential margin is extremely low.

But if you think of buying cheap and sell high immediately, you're not doing it right. It's not just about hoping for a Crystal Ball at 200 in Forest Village to sell it at more than 6000 at Kobold Village. I do a very high benefit with Holly Berries, Wine, and even Flute, because I stockpile them. Most of the time I visit a trading post and buy whatever is sold as an exceptionnally low price, and I put it in Barbara's vault until the price becomes higher. Salt never gets high enough to make a sizeable profit even with 20 of them, but with Wine for example I made big profits.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Barbara's vault has limited space, so that's another reason trading pisses me off. :evil:
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

I would replace trading posts with marketplaces or bric-a-brac markets or something like this. And here is how they would work…

- Imagine a pool of items that contains all antiques (paintings, statues etc.), spices, raw materials for equipment making, useless trading-only stuff (wine, ancient writings etc.). Every marketplace offers about 10 random items from this pool.
- Every “day” (20 or 30 min. intervals because there are no days of week) the list gets randomized.
- The amounts of the selected items are also random, although expensive stuff should be a little rarer and fewer (no 20 Knight’s statues at once, only 1 or 2 if you’re lucky, but 20 flutes are common).
- The prizes are also kind of random, I mean they fluctuate.
- Marketplaces also have Rare Finds for ?OldBooks or other stuff that fits to what marketplaces offer.
- Once in a while marketplaces send you advertisements. This is a special offer for a certain rarer item from the pool. Example: “Knight’s statues, while stocks last!” (then they have around 6 instead of 1). They also send you trading hints like “Come and buy our wine, sell in town X, profit guaranteed!”. Advertisements can be found in your letter box, and after reading it, the advertised items’ availability is guaranteed for the current and coming interval.
(- Other shops also send advertisements like “Speed Rings! Buy one, get one free! –Radat item shop”. Don’t worry, you will not get bombed with advertisements like in reality, only maybe 5 or so per hour.)

This way it could be more interesting because you can get some useful stuff there. Trading fans could still travel from town to town to various markets for money-making, but it’s 100% optional, no character recruitment involved. Perhaps that’s a compromise…
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan