Worst Suikoden Character

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
LadyCyclone

Worst Suikoden Character

Post by LadyCyclone »

I've just started to play Suikoden V the second time round and haven't got too far into it; up to the part where they're about to find Belcoot, who is about to be beaten up by the townspeople. I've decided that Lym is by far the worst Suikoden character I have ever encountered; I thought I'd give her another try, but she just grinds my nerves to the point of actually ruining the game for me. And Miakis - the two of them are abominable. Who do you think is the most annoying/worst character in Suikoden?
EstrangedIX

Re: Worst Suikoden Character

Post by EstrangedIX »

I don't have much love for Miakis either lol...

There's a few that I don't really like, but are still solid characters by design (such as Nanami and Shu), so they definitely can't be considered 'worst'. One that I feel is drastically overrated though is Kasumi. She's nothing close to what comes to mind when I think of ninjas. I don't think she was all that cute and her crush on Tir seemed so random and annoying. When prompted, I pick Valeria (Rokkaku access be damned) because she's a much more solid, functional choice. Imo, even the extremely minor characters like Kasios are better because at least they aren't portrayed as more important than what they actually are.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I love Lymsleia, she's awesome. And Miakis is much better than Lyon.

Sialeeds and Lyon are the ones who get on my nerves in S5. They both have some of the most cringe-worthy lines in the whole game/series.

Killey sucks in S5 - I got excited when he first showed up in the palace, with Godwin having that uneasy feeling about him, but he just turns out to be a mouthy little troll who calls everyone an idiot. And replacing his duel weapons with throwing knives? How lame is that??

Chiepoo was the worst S4 character, they gave him way too much screen time and he ends up ruining the serious tone for most of the cut scenes. Especially the end where Troy is going down with his ship and you've got f###ing Chiepoo there watching one of the main characters die. Could have been anyone - one of your fellow knights, Flare, Agnes, Kika, Colton - but f###ing Chiepoo.

Chaco is an irritating little piece of sh!t.

And I totally agree about Kasumi being overrated. Valeria all the way. No contest, really, it felt like a choice between Tinkerbell and Xena.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

For all suikoden, it's always the flower characters

There are so many of them. Is it okay to list them all?

The ones I can remember for now
SI:Teo and Allen
SII:Riou, Jowy, Pilika, Jess, Annabelle(I absolutely despise this woman), Zamza
SIII:Albert, Luc, Sasarai, Hugo, Lulu, Sgt.Joe(I hate everyone from Hugo's group)
SIV:Kika, Micky, Cedric
SV:Lyon, Prince, Kyle, Sialeeds, Lucretia(tops my hate list after Annabelle)
Tactics:Andarc, Seneca, Roget, Corselia

Btw, you can't really hate those that don't get a story time
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

gildedtalon wrote:For all suikoden, it's always the flower characters

There are so many of them. Is it okay to list them all?

The ones I can remember for now
SI:Teo and Allen
SII:Riou, Jowy, Pilika, Jess, Annabelle(I absolutely despise this woman), Zamza
SIII:Albert, Luc, Sasarai, Hugo, Lulu, Sgt.Joe(I hate everyone from Hugo's group)
SIV:Kika, Micky, Cedric
SV:Lyon, Prince, Kyle, Sialeeds, Lucretia(tops my hate list after Annabelle)
Tactics:Andarc, Seneca, Roget, Corselia

Btw, you can't really hate those that don't get a story time
the only ones I agree with you on are Jess, Micky, Lyon and Sialeeds.

Jess was a whiny little bitch, and I wanted Viktor to rip his head off.

I do give Micky some credit, because he wrote about Reinbach's "adventures", and this must be why his name ended up being used for fake names in the other games. But really - a weedy a little man who gives his master credit for all of MY deeds? I'd have him tossed over board.

I liked Roget, but didn't like his accent. "Daaaaarrrrmmmmmn Yooouuu!"

Don't know why you hate Kika, though. She's voiced by Mary Elizabeth McGlynn FFS!!!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Like how "best" is often confused with "most favourite", this topic title reminds me that the reverse where "worst" and "least favourite" (or, I suppose, "most hated") must also be synonymous.

Though the first character that comes to mind about the subject is definitely that one particular character who cheapened the value of the whole 108-Stars' miracle into a fake death cop-out.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

EstrangedIX wrote:One that I feel is drastically overrated though is Kasumi. She's nothing close to what comes to mind when I think of ninjas. I don't think she was all that cute and her crush on Tir seemed so random and annoying. When prompted, I pick Valeria (Rokkaku access be damned) because she's a much more solid, functional choice. Imo, even the extremely minor characters like Kasios are better because at least they aren't portrayed as more important than what they actually are.
THANK YOU!!! I've always felt that Kasumi was way over-rated as a character, and her "relationship" with Tir felt exaggerated by the fans. I only ever recruited her in S2 just to get into Rokkaku, but never used as a party member.

As for characters that I hated or were just really annoyed by, Lymsleia and Lyon definitely come to mind. The thing that makes me hate these characters is their ear shattering voices. Beyond that, they really aren't any more annoying than Gremio or Nanami. I think if there was an option to play the game with ALL voices turn off so that dialog could be read like the older games, these characters wouldn't be as hated by the community like they are.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, Chiepoo has a high spot on my list, but basically the whole race of Nay-Kobolds is just... blargh. Normal Kobolds at least had bad-ass characters like Ridley with the goofey ones, but Nay-Kobolds just get ony my nerves and hold the #1 place on my list of most stupid Suikoden race (#2 are mermaids). I think Suikoden IV also destroyed a lot of filler-characters with their endings. Most of them became fishermen or soldiers for Obel. Helga became an woodchopper on Razril? Nice we've never set foot in that forest.

I think a lot of Suikoden's characters suffer from their lack of personality and use. That is in particular Qlon and that gossip woman. They have no real value to anything (there might be some others, but I guess I can't name them all).
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Antimatzist wrote:Yeah, Chiepoo has a high spot on my list, but basically the whole race of Nay-Kobolds is just... blargh. Normal Kobolds at least had bad-ass characters like Ridley with the goofey ones, but Nay-Kobolds just get ony my nerves and hold the #1 place on my list of most stupid Suikoden race (#2 are mermaids). I think Suikoden IV also destroyed a lot of filler-characters with their endings. Most of them became fishermen or soldiers for Obel. Helga became an woodchopper on Razril? Nice we've never set foot in that forest.
Yeah, the doggy-style (ahem) Kobolds from the first two games were much better, especially in S2, when they started to flesh out their culture a little more, with one military style village ruled by Ridley and the other trade village where we play out Hix and Tengaar's little sub-story. But the Nay kobolds? How the hell did Konami manage to mess up cat people??? Breath of Fire has characters like Rei and Cray, the Elder Scrolls has Khajiit, and Suikoden 4 got a bunch of characters from a Beatrix Potter story! And their village looked stupid as well. Not as bad as that Haud place in S5, though.

Speaking of races, why has nobody mentioned those freaking beavers?? They were an embarrassment.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Cius,Lelei or Lyon....i don't know exactly who is the worst,but sure it has to be one of those 3. I simply HATE them. :evil: :evil: :evil:

And Chiepoo (rich version) in Suikoden Tactics,has the worst outfit....blah just disgusting
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

UGH... Don't get me started on the cat people. By far, the absolute worse demi-human race in the Suikoden universe. The beavers take the runner-up spot for worse animal race. I hate how, as the sequels are released, more animal races are created, leaving the fans to wonder things like:

"Why don't beavers exist outside of Falena?" or "Why don't Nay-Kobolds exist outside of the Island Nations?" or "Why don't Ducks and Lizards exist outside of the Grasslands?" At least elves, dwarves, and kobolds have been able travel the continents. Suikoden III went out on a limb and included 1 Winger, but they haven't been seen again since. What gives?

Maybe since Suikoden IV is more than a century in the past, the Nay-Kobold race was exterminated, thus aren't found in the other games.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

heh! Well, when you visit the Nay kobold settlement, they seem to be very stay-at-home kind of people, and you don't even see kobold NPCs on the other islands, so Chiepoo, Nalkul and Champo are obviously rarities among their own kind, since they are the few that go abroad to start their own businesses. Guess they never really went global, though.

The elves seem to have settlements in different countries.

We got dwarves in Suikoden 1 and 5, but in Suikoden 1 they seem to look like the typical norse style dwarves, while in 5 they looked like a bunch of garden gnomes...
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Don't forget, we had 1 dwarf in Suikoden 3. Twaikin was a dwarf, but he was wearing a modern construction helmet with goggles and a shovel.

Let me see if I can round up demi-human races in the main games from memory:
Suikoden: Elves, Dwarfs, Kobolds
Suikoden II: Elves, Kobolds, Wingers
Suikoden III: Elves, Kobolds, Dwarfs, Lizards, Ducks, Wingers
Suikoden IV: Elves, Nay-Kobolds, Mermaids
Suikoden V: Elves, Dwarfs, Beavers

I'm sure I missed a race or two. Elves have been consistently present in every game, but thank God the cat people have not.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Kind of weird how they designed the kobold races to look like domesticated dogs and cats, rather than wolves and leopards and tigers and stuff. I guess that was to make them appear as civilized creatures to kind of illustrate the human and animal relationship, or something.
LadyCyclone

Post by LadyCyclone »

Sticky Runes, you are insane! How could anyone hate Sialeeds, I'm absolutely in love with her - and I really like Lyon, she reminds me of Nanami. But it was the 'I love Lym' part that left me shuddering!!

I also love the little beavers - hehehe, especially how one of them runs a hot springs, one of my favourite things to imagine myself doing and someday shall. I never really liked Kasumi either, I found her crush on the main character to be annoying.