Favorite game of the main series?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.

What is your favorite game of the main series overall?

You may select 1 option

View results

Piisuke

Re: Favorite game of the main series?

Post by Piisuke »

It is still a mini game, because we're playing a different game within the main game. As far as I'm aware, there's no rule that states a mini-game should always be accessible. Plenty of games have mini-games that stop, or become unaccessible, like Final Fantasy IX's Chocobo Hot N Cold, or I believe the Colliseum in Star Ocean The Second Story which you cannot access for a while. Heck, isn't Gold Saucer unavailable for a while in FF VII?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Sasarai10 wrote:5 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4

I haven't play 1 as i said,but i suppose it's similar with 2....so i would put it in 3rd place

Now that i have played it,unfortunately it wasn't even half as good as S5 or S2,so i will place it 5th,but that doesn't mean it's bad...it's still a classic and a very nice effort for a video game from '95.
slam75

Post by slam75 »

Suikoden V - Sun Rune War is my favorite :roll:
zqrahll

Post by zqrahll »

As much as I love Suikoden 2, I have to vote for 3 because of the trinity site system & the skill system.
Natsume

Post by Natsume »

Suikoden 2~!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Suikoden 2 is my fave because it has the familiarity of the first game, while having additional rune slots to enhance gameplay, and beefed up dialogue to enhance the storyline (I like how your chosen characters give their thoughts on the situation when you take them along on reconnaisance mssions and stuff!) although I never liked the major battles of Suikoden 2, they were quite annoying and you seem to end up withdrawing most of the time anyway.

I must admit, I do play Suikoden 4 the most often, because of how streamlined it is (If I just want a quick game to finish in a week or so, and not a heavy RPG), and I like the cutscenes. It's a bit like having an anime series to watch from time to time, with runes in it!
brunohkbx

Post by brunohkbx »

5>2>1>3>4

In my opinion the suikoden 5 is the best suikoden..
The story is amazing and it was the game I got more involved.
LadyCyclone

Post by LadyCyclone »

Suikoden 2 sweeps the floor with the lot of them (except 1 which comes second). 5 was alright, 4 was rubbish and I only played the beginning of 3 a long time ago. Suikoden 2 was perfect -storyline, dialogue, music, characters, the way the castle builds up; 5 was similar to 2 in a few ways but it didn't execute the depth or emotion as successfully as 2 did. Plus that Deep Twilight Forest maze actually angered me to the point of almost smashing the screen in. Every time something major was going to happen or there was a surprise in 2, the music corresponded perfectly with the scene. Whereas in 5 there were a lot of times where it didn't do this; the fight against Gizel for example, I expected something a bit more epic. There isn't a single boring moment in 2 (it also had the chef's cook-offs which were great) while in 5 there were occasions where I thought, hurry up ... 1 would have been on par with 2 except it was too short. Also I really don't like 3D games; the magic of 1 and 2 was that you couldn't really see their faces and you certainly couldn't hear their voices, thus leaving much more to the imagination; had 5 been in 2D I may have liked it more. The voices (I know they can be turned off but then the scenes just look weird) slow scenes and enormous breasts of certain characters like Jeane and Sialeeds were just offputting. And the castle in 5 is too big, didn't like the castle's music. 2 all the way, no comparison. I really like the big battles of 2 aswell. 5's battles got annoying because you go to move one force and then it automatically switches somewhere else because someone's met the enemy elsewhere.

And Suikoden 1 and 2 have Flik and Viktor, the BEST characters ever!
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

I'm really surprised by how many people feel 2 beats 3 in every possible way. (Also surprised by people who don't beat 3 but are able to beat 4...).

I know it's all opinion, but the masses choosing 2 overwhelmingly over 3 is a bit surprising
LadyCyclone

Post by LadyCyclone »

^Unfortunately, playing 3 all the way is something I can't foresee myself doing in the near future. I played it a long time ago, only because my brother managed to hack our UK console in some way and played a burned version of Suikoden 3 on it, a console I no longer have; and I was thoroughly put off by the 3D effects. Though to be honest, I can't see how any of the other games could beat 2, which grabs you from the start all the way to the end.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:I'm really surprised by how many people feel 2 beats 3 in every possible way. (Also surprised by people who don't beat 3 but are able to beat 4...).

I know it's all opinion, but the masses choosing 2 overwhelmingly over 3 is a bit surprising
You're not surprised by any chance, are you?
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:I know it's all opinion, but the masses choosing 2 overwhelmingly over 3 is a bit surprising
This. I wouldn't expect II to have more votes than III, but it should be a smaller gap imho.

To be honest, I thought III looked a little clonky when I first started playing it. It didn't take long though for most of the characters to grow on me and the story is just made of awesome. II had plenty of characters that I liked, but not nearly as many (and none of III's, not even Lulu, reached Nanami levels of irritating lol) . I love how III has so many of them involved in the story and how their stats affect their performance in war. As epic as II's story was, looking back it feels like it was still growing. I felt that III was much more mature. Again this is just my opinion, but I really think more people should give III another shot, if only to experience the badassery that is Geddoe & company.

Also, welcome LadyCyclone :)
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I only got my copy of 3 this year. It blew me away, no question. But because I've been playing all the others for so long and replayed them so many times, it's kinda hard to just put it straight on top of them all, I practically grew up with 1 and 2! I mean, you don't buy a new puppy and say you love it more than your old pet who has been your faithful companion for over a decade of your life (a bit of a dramatic comparisson to make, but there you go!) but I'm sure next time I play 3, I will find myself warming to it even more. the characters and their cultures and their relationships with eachother were all beautifully done, and even though I did complete it, 3 is still a relatively new experience to me compared to how well I know the other games.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

Great post, well put. I have no problem if the majority of people don't choose my favorite, and I can't deny the nostalgia factor, as I'm a card-carrying membe of VI>VII.

It's just the gravity of how preferred 2 is vs 3 that gets me. I mean 5 is closer to 3's votes than 2 is. Eye opening.
LadyCyclone

Post by LadyCyclone »

Thanks Estranged!

If I ever get my hands on a console that can play 3, I'll give it another shot. At the moment, I recently finished 5 (with the worst ending of the lot!) and have just started playing 1 again - I'm personally surprised that 1 is scoring so low. I need to get my hands on 2 again (I owned two copies years ago that both befell tragic ends) but it's so expensive!