Jowy's betrayal

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
xtian3426

Jowy's betrayal

Post by xtian3426 »

im a bit confused of jowy's "Betrayal" in SII. In my opinion it's like what Sialeeds did in SV. Did he betray because he wants to destroy Luca while in highland so Riou won't have a hard time? And what is Kage doing with him like in muse. Passing messages and such. When did they start to meet and pass message to each other? who sent Kage there lol XD did Kage's message influenced the betrayal of Jowy? haha confused lol haha too many questions XD

oh i forgot he got caught i think in muse border and a deal happened there that triggers his betrayal?
"It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!" - Luca Blight
DoReMi_Vampire

Re: Jowy's betrayal

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Once the translation of the Suikogaidens are done we'll be able to see some bits of what happened behind the scenes.
Kage and his organization are a group of mercs that help whoever pays them the most. I doubt Kage wasted any words at influencing Jowy, he just delivered messages between Jowy and the Highlanders is all.
As for Jowy's own thoughts, he was a visionary who wanted to bring peace by uniting countries by military force. He was also very much influenced by his belief in destiny to become more ruthless, and the nature of his Black Sword Rune made him Riou's natural adversary since he had the Bright Shield Rune.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's one of those "screwed by destiny" stories. Like X/1999, but with a happier ending.
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
xtian3426

Post by xtian3426 »

ah haha well guess it's hard to believe that jowy will be like that maybe because of their runes :P
"It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!" - Luca Blight
FoggyNotion

Post by FoggyNotion »

A little off topic I guess, but I always wondered why they had Jowy be the one to carry out the actual assassination when they had Kage of all people working for them. It seems like the Anabelle assassination would be a job right up Kage's alley. Jowy would certainly be useful for relaying information to them about Viktor & Flik's strategies, and maybe being the inside guy to help Kage get to where he needs to be, but to trust the job of assassinating the mayor and opening up the city to this kid when you have a real professional on your side just seems like an unnecessary and kind of stupid risk to take. Maybe Luca was just cheap; I'm sure Kage charges less to relay messages than he does for assassinations.
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

The reason Jowy assassinated Annabelle and not Kage is that it was a test for Jowy. He needed to do something to prove his loyalty to Highland. Also, Jowy had a connection to Annabelle and it was much easier for him to get close to the mayor.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

As well, I think it's a bit of a complicated scenario for Jowy all the way through. Luca Blight is clearly the 'big bad', right? Or more like, Highland as it was under Agares / Luca. Jowy is compicit in killing Agares as he knows he needs to get close enough to Luca and if someone doesn't stop Luca, he will obliterate Highland and Jowston / Dunan both in his quest for oblivion.

He sets up the rather complicated scheme to get Luca in place to have him executed but what then? Highland still exists. There are still tensions and political meanderings. Jowston isn't united under Riou's flag yet; even if Highland strikes a treaty, the damage is still done and without places like Tinto on Dunan's side, even if a ceasefire / truce is reached, it is only a matter of time before the dissidents cause another war.

For Jowy, the Shield / Sword imagery is more than just something he rants about; he knows (or falsely presumes, rather) as long as he and Riou have each side of the Rune, they will fight. He knows as long as Dunan is fractured and Highland has strength, the wars will continue. So he continues to develop Highland and continues to fight the war. Either Highland will eradicate a weakened Dunan and the war ends. Or Dunan will - in Jowy's case, hopefully - come together, regain its strength and finally do away with the Highland corruption.

When Jowy confronts Riou on the mountain, he doesn't do so as a defeated foe, per se, but he's almost suicidal. You get the feeling he's never wanted to win at all - Nanami's 'death' has brought this bubbling to the surface. He hasn't really been playing to win, and that's really the point.

He 'betrays' you to give you the best fighting chance at defeating the Blight family. He carries on the war because he doesn't think if it ends at that point it will stay ended. He wants Dunan and Highland to be united and to stop the deaths on both sides, but he feels unless he really risks it all, that can't be achieved.

That's how I understand Jowy's betrayal. It makes a change from psychotic 'villain of the week' I have to say.

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who still wishes Luca had survived longer, of course, but it was a surprise - and a good one - when he didn't.
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
Yubaa

Post by Yubaa »

Geezus it's hard to find a fitting topic to write this in so if any mod thinks there's more suiting thread to move this post to, feel free to do so.

I wanted to mark one moment in this particular scene; - that I noticed and got intrigued since I can't remember explicitly noticing it before.

https://youtu.be/L9JMvbG2Fv0?t=43s

Notice the look Luca gives to Agares after 'sipping' from the cup (right after dialog box), to actually see if he's being noticed that he didn't drink or just look on Agares' face even if Luca drinks or doesn't. It really struck me other day when I replayed this part, so I had to find it online and share with others. It's subtle - but great attention to detail even to this day :)
"I simply desire a good fight."
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

And thus, the only king who used his only son the crown prince as the poison tester died.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan