NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
LanceHeart

Re: NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

Post by LanceHeart »

KC_MCDOHL wrote:
Xelinis wrote: It probably hasn't been in the top ten for a long time now. The new game has most likely revived some interest.
Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case. Surely the fact its outselling Fronteir gate and practically level with the new Suikoden will open Konamis eyes a bit?
Let me clarify that the info I put up last week was pretty much launch-week sales info for the two Suikoden titles on PSN. Suikoden I + II has already dropped to #13 on the chart this week and Suikoden 100 Years dropped to #10. As for Frontier Gate, it already fell off the Top 20 chart. That's almost disheartening, since it literally means Konami's RPG efforts aren't doing too well in general.

When Tierkreis launched in NA, interest in Suikoden skyrocketed for about a month on PSN. This seems to be about equivalent to that.
Formerly known as: Gothann
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Even Tri-Ace's involvement couldn't sell the new IP? For shame.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I'm really suprised that Frontier Gate wasn't so successful - but even more with Beyond the Labyrinth's "success". You'd thinka Tri-Ace game would be a big-seller, and the 3DS seems to be quite established by now in Japan, so I wonder how this game could sell so poorly. It definitely looked interesting.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

For the record: Beyond the Labyrinth sold half as much as Frontier Gate at launch. The game launched in January, though. That month is often far lower in total sales across all titles.

By the way, week 3 sales are in for Suikoden PSP: 7,607. That means Konami has sold practically all copies of its first shipment in three weeks, something that took them nearly a year with Tierkreis. A second shipment should push the game over 100K in sales, but it's already being drowned out by big RPG-related games (Tales of the Heroes still kinda counts).
Alestes

Post by Alestes »

Feldoon wrote:Not for Europe.

And I'm not jumping through hoops to acquire it. They either release it in my region or I don't buy it, simply.
Aye, same here. Not only is Suikoden 1&2 missing from EU PSN, but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night too, and that was released on US PSN back in 2007.

Konami simply just hate Europe :(
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Suikoden I&II isn't released anywhere outside Japan, actually.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well, I'm done, and I must say, this game succeeded where Tierkreis failed, and failed where it succeeded. And I haven't gotten the 108-Stars ending, but I doubt it can live up to the endings of S3 and S5, or even Tactics.

I guess the naysayers were right, in their way. For reasons I won't go into on this thread, it really didn't feel like a Suikoden game. I would say it deviated from the standard Suikoden even more than Tierkreis. I mean, I liked it, but I don't think we'll see any return to the main series--or anything like it--for a long time.

I know, I know, old news. But even so, it's good to be back!
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Welcome back, Rachael!

Considering the fact that the definition of what constitutes the Suikoden "standard" differ based on different players' perception of the series, I suppose it's a fair evaluation of Tsumuji's direction.

You should give the 108-star ending a try though. In terms of sheer scope, its variation from the normal ending may be the most significant we've seen so far in the entire franchise?
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

The game fell to 28 on Media Create charts. That's outside of the range they report sales numbers on.

For reference, the #20 spot (last one) sold 4,922 copies, so expect far less than that. If Konami hasn't shipped any more copies, that pretty much means they're bordering so close to 100% sales that there's no way this game is a failure to them now.
Makonuchi

Post by Makonuchi »

With those sales, it is safe to assume konami didnt really expect anything big or even something different from this game. I doubt they were even looking to get new fans.

It is an obvious cash in..sad.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Game's at 38 on Media Create's chart now. #20 sold an even 5000 copies, so you can imagine the game is far under that figure this week.
suikostinger

Post by suikostinger »

Been replaying 1 and 2 for the past few weeks. I'm about 10 hours into 2 and decided to come on the website forums to see how the newly released one was going. Seems like it sold enough to sell out....too bad the only reason it "sold out" was because they didn't release that many. Whether or not it stays true to the Suikoden series I'm still going to buy it (if it comes out in NA, looking doubtful though) because they make some good RPGs, too bad that they have to slap the name Suikoden on it though.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Suikoden I and II also sold out, also because of the lack of copies being created.

Also, Konami never spends any time promoting their games. We know this. It is a fact. Remember the hype of Suikoden V? Neither did anybody else. Kingdom Hearts II was released a week prior. Tierkreis? Oh, it was the coming of Dissidia that blocked its sales. Konami is its own demise here. Tri-ACE cannot be blamed.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Piisuke wrote:Also, Konami never spends any time promoting their games. We know this. It is a fact. Remember the hype of Suikoden V? Neither did anybody else. Kingdom Hearts II was released a week prior. Tierkreis? Oh, it was the coming of Dissidia that blocked its sales. Konami is its own demise here. Tri-ACE cannot be blamed.

Suikoden V had some very hefty promotions in Japan, with numerous commercials, big magazine features, and numerous additional featurettes.

Could they have done better? Yes.
Could they have done a lot worse? Oh yea.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

In Japan, where was the advertisement everywhere else? There was none. Nada. Simply nothing. They couldn't have done worse. Not the first time either. Remember the promos for any of the previous SUikoden games? Exactly.