Gay Characters

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Belle

Re: Gay Characters

Post by Belle »

To be fair, Richmond does say that when Anita gets drunk, she'll go home with "just about anybody." Of course, that statement by itself isn't conclusive evidence of her sexual orientation, by any means.
LadyMikain

Post by LadyMikain »

:oops: well ok maybe she isnt i just assumed her an valeria where ex's for some reason. i like the way no one questions helda and gretchin though. there has to be at least one lesbian character? i mean we all know ted and aldo where lovers so why not have a female on female relationship?
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history.-Pahn. Suikoden.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Wait, what? Ted and Aldo were what now?

And, I think the reason no one questions Hilda and Gretchin is that there is way less info on them than there is on Anita, so they are shrouded in mystery, I guess.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Um, we don't "know" Ted and Aldo were lovers. And the Ted in S1 apparently only had an interest in women, so if anything was going on, at best it was one-sided.
LadyMikain

Post by LadyMikain »

well why else would ted allow him to follow him around? and we know for sure thats aldos' gay so its the only conclusion, thats explains the sexual tension between ted and futch! :P
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history.-Pahn. Suikoden.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Because.... Friends follow each other around? By your logic, if I follow my gay friend around, that would make me gay, and automatically make us gay lovers...

Sexual tension? Really? Between Futch and Ted? Oh heavens....
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Hirathien wrote:Wait, what? Ted and Aldo were what now?
There are 23 pages in this thread already and Aldo's relationship has already been brought up. I recommend reading it over before asking questions about it. But regardless, the brief version is that Aldo has a crush on Ted, this is pretty obvious in one of the bath scenes they share together, and more subtly in their unite. Ted doesn't necessarily reciprocate during the game of IV but it's insinuated that they grow at least close enough for the Soul Eater to take Aldo's soul, how close that is exactly is unknown. But as you know from Tir the Soul Eater doesn't just eat anyone's soul near you, it has to be someone really important to you.
LadyMikain wrote: i mean we all know ted and aldo where lovers so why not have a female on female relationship?
Also, the best evidence of a lesbian crush is Lelei on Lucretia as has been discussed earlier.
LadyMikain

Post by LadyMikain »

:shock: now your telling me ive gota read 23 pages before i make a comment! ive seen plenty of people repeating stuff thats already been said. the jeane thread alone has at least 20 people saying 'konami confirms she doesnt have a true rune' with not a single warning. :lol: i get it now, you must have be joking.

oh yeah i forgot about Lelei. Lucretia must have used and abused her as she ditches her ass after a while. :P
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Oppenheimer wrote: There are 23 pages in this thread already and Aldo's relationship has already been brought up. I recommend reading it over before asking questions about it. But regardless, the brief version is that Aldo has a crush on Ted, this is pretty obvious in one of the bath scenes they share together, and more subtly in their unite. Ted doesn't necessarily reciprocate during the game of IV but it's insinuated that they grow at least close enough for the Soul Eater to take Ted's soul, how close that is exactly is unknown. But as you know from Tir the Soul Eater doesn't just eat anyone's soul near you, it has to be someone really important to you.
Wouldn't you mean Aldo's soul?

Besides, I said that in the whole carved into stone statement, that it was the way it is, not the way it seems.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes, Aldo's soul. I fixed it. Thanks.

Of course it's not outright stated, did you expect them to have "HP 382. Sexuality: Gay" in his stats? It's still made about as obvious as I would expect in a game that didn't have sexuality as one of its main plot points. It's just like saying that Lazlo isn't Lino's long lost son because it wasn't explicitly stated. Sufficient evidence is there if you look for it. In my opinion, arguing that it's not true because it's not explicitly stated is not critical thinking but willful blindness.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

actually that is exactly what is required for a truth statement. This is why dark matter for example is a theory, not a scientific fact. We have lots of inferences that suggest it is there, but we haven't been able to prove it is there because all we have right now are those inferences, which we have not yet figured out a way to test. The same thing goes with sexuality of a character. It is fairly impossible to come to a conclusion about someone's sexuality just from observation. Just because someone is flirty doesn't mean they are trying to get in to bed with you, they could be trying to manipulate you, or they could even be completely unaware that they are even flirting. So to go off observations, one could conclude that everyone who spends a lot of time a good friend of the opposite gender must be heterosexual, and everyone with a good friend of the same gender is gay, but this obviously isn't the case. even having sex with someone doesn't confirm one's sexual preferences. Think about how many U.S. congressmen, with wives and families, have made public announcements that they are in fact gay(usually about one a year). You really can't expect to know someone's sexuality for sure, just from observing them.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Using the requirements of meeting scientific fact before saying that something is likely true, would render pretty much all discussions about almost anything moot. Is Aldo actually a man? Did we see his penis? No, we did not. Others called him a he, but this only renders Aldo's gender a theory, not a fact. . . .

We aren't discussing black matter here, but a video game. We don't quite need the same amount of proof as a scientific paper.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Now that was a mature thing of you there, Oppenheimer.

Comparing sexuality to a gender that's hidden by clothing. If someone calls him a He, that is what we will call him until proven otherwise. Has it been proven that he's gay? I don't think so. So there goes your argument.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I can see my point has been missed entirely. I will attempt one more time to explain what to me is painfully obvious, as difficult as that is to do.

Here's the conversation in the baths:
Ted: ...
Aldo: ...
Aldo: Umm... Did I ever thank you for the other day?
Ted: For what?
Aldo: The other day... You picked up the arrow I shot, remember?
Aldo: I think I forgot to thank you, so... Now's the perfect time.
Ted: Oh... that...
Ted: I just did that because I thought a perfectly good arrow shouldn't go to
waste... That's all.
Aldo: But it was awfully sweet of you.
Ted: Uhh... I think I'll excuse myself.
Aldo: W-Wait! Was it something I said?
Clearly Ted gets that Aldo is hitting on him. If you can't then there's nothing else I can possibly say that will change your mind.
LadyMikain

Post by LadyMikain »

oops! maybe i shouldnt have mentioned ted and aldo..