is this worth snaggin a DS for?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in Suikoden Tierkreis; or wish for more clarity with the gameplay systems.
kenshindono

is this worth snaggin a DS for?

Post by kenshindono »

so im thinking of snagging a PSP and maybe a DS this holiday season. Pretty much just to play RPGS. The psp is getting some pretty good ones and i hear the DS has some decent ones too. I remembered this game was on it and was wondering if its worth getting a DS lite or something mainly for this game. There arent too many other DS rpgs that look that great to me. The world ends with you looks kinda neat, thats about it

I heard this game has radically different game play from the other suikodens. Even moreso than IV. Suposedly you dont even collect 108 stars? Can anyone chime in on what the gameplay is like and if this is good enough to support the purchase of a DS?

BTW to give an idea of my tastes: i absolutely hated IV. If i had to rate how much i like the games it would probably go

II > V/I (tie)> III > tactics > slamming my crotch in a car door > IV

the gap between II and V/I is small, the one between V/I and III is medium (i liked the story but the odd pairing system and the 3 person main character system was just not done that well), then the gap between II and tactics is rather large, and between tactics and IV is very large. I absolutely hated IV, it was utter garbage
Nikisaur

Re: is this worth snaggin a DS for?

Post by Nikisaur »

To be honest, not on its own. I think you'll get that answer a lot. It isn't an amazing game.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Silfan

Post by Silfan »

No, there's still 108 stars.
The gameplay is:
-. Battle system - imagine battle in Suikoden IV
-. War battle - imagine several forced battles ...
-. Weapon system - just like every other generic JRPG, you buy weapon from shops
-. Magic - no rune, every character will have 8 magic+skills they learn as they level and you can only bring 4 at a time

If you hated Suikoden IV, I'm sure you'd hate this game as much if not much more.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I wouldn't get a DS solely for this game, however I think the RPG-library for the DS is bigger than for the PSP. Also, there are a lot of other good games on it (Phoenix Wright e.g.).

Well good RPGs include the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy remakes (even though I wouldn't bother with III), The World ends with you, Chrono Trigger remake, there's a new Golden Sun title coming, Kingdom hearts Spin-Offs, a Lufia II remake.. somehow I don't get a lot of names haha. Well, the DS RPG-library contains most of remakes, which are mostly well done, and some new games. Also I'd check out some other genres as well, it is worth it.

But the advantadge of the PSP is that you could play PSX games on it which would be awesome, too. I think I will get a PSP in the future, too, to play some PSP-exclusive titles.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I'd get a PSP. Why? A PSP can't play Tierkries. And it's more and more RPG's coming to the PSP so it would be an investment for the future.
Humphrey Mintz
Location: Rotherham, England. Originally Kirkcaldy, Scotland.

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

If I were you, I'd buy both the PSP and the DS. Not for Tierkreis though. I thought Tierkreis was... ok, I guess. They took a lot away from it that made the series what it is. You can't even sharper weapons. They're just part of your equipment. Plus it's not even set in the same world, which was a bit sucky. Then the main character could SPEAK!! D= And by that I actually mean with a voice actor, which brings me to my next point. The voice acting is awful!! Better on some characters than others but the main character sounds like he's on crack, a few energy drinks, some energy pills, sugary e-number sweets, and everything else that can turn a grown man into a hyper little child. I don't know that personally from the crack by the way. XD Anyways back to my original point. I didn't HATE Tierkreis but I did hate how much it wasn't like the rest of the series. I actually enjoyed IV though so if I were to rate the games, it'd be in the same order as yours but I being higher rather than tieing with V and probably not including the crotch slamming of the door. As for the gap between each, I would say they're quite small apart from Tierkreis which is quite a while away from IV.

So that's it for what I think of Tierkreis. I wouldn't call it terrible, but it's a pretty average game in general, and as for it being a good Suikoden, I wouldn't say so at all. So if you hate IV then you may very well despise Tierkreis. =/ But about the DS and PSP, I'd get both if I were you since I've enjoyed quite a lot of different games on each but if you're only going for one, I'd suggest the PSP because I've probably gotten more use out of that and in my opinion, there are more quality RPGs on it. I do really enjoy both though and you'll probably find something to play on each. I think I've mainly played games that were previously released on older consoles, but the fact that you can do it while on the move is great. =]
"Even in the forest, not just at night, during your work, praise the King" - Zombie, Suikoden

"All this killing... in front of a children!" - Mathiu Silverburg, Suikoden

"ᵍËMᵐʰ" - Futch, Suikoden II
Sheba

Post by Sheba »

I actually enjoyed Tierkreis. It just...didn't have the Suikoden feeling. But I found it to be a good RPG on its own, even though the ending was just bad. It was way above Suikoden IV in terms of game enjoyment for me, though (and I'm currently replaying all Suikoden games and replayed IV directly after Tierkreis, so I had the direct comparision). It's also really long, not like The World Ends With You, which can be done in 3-4 days. Yeah, the voice acting is pretty horrible, but I like a few characters of the Tierkreis crew really much.
Humphrey Mintz
Location: Rotherham, England. Originally Kirkcaldy, Scotland.

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

I agree that some of the characters are pretty cool. My favourite was Jale. Thought he was really cool. I can't think of any others off the top of my head but there were others. I think the main reason I disliked it so much was because it had Suikoden in its title, and wasn't Suikoden enough. XD If it was a completely different game and I wasn't expecting anything from it, I'd have probably enjoyed it more. And I think I got all 108 stars (or almost all) but didn't actually complete it so I dunno bout the ending.
"Even in the forest, not just at night, during your work, praise the King" - Zombie, Suikoden

"All this killing... in front of a children!" - Mathiu Silverburg, Suikoden

"ᵍËMᵐʰ" - Futch, Suikoden II
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, there were som nice characters, I liked the Gunmen. But the creators performed the difficult task to create characters with no character development whatsoever. NONE. At least I can't think of any character who matures or something. Oh yeah, Dirk. He changes in 5 seconds and stays that for the rest of the game.
Shinyo

Post by Shinyo »

When I found out that Suikoden Tierkreis existed, I was pretty excited, because.. well, I love the series, but I guess all of the members here do that.

But after I played it for a while, it was kinda disappointing.. I think the only thing that relates to Suikoden are the 108 stars of destiny... and that's pretty much it (except maybe that you get a castle here, too.).

There's a trading system ingame that lets you buy "useless" items from every town, each of them having their own prices, which means you can buy an item from one town for 500 and sell it in a different town for 1500. If you do this a lot, you will not only become filthy rich, you will also unlock new items in shops that you can actually "use", like equipment, potions, etc.

Also you can accept and fullfill missions in this game.

All in all I would say it's an average RPG, but a very bad Suikoden :D
Check out my blog for random fun stuff and reviews!
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

Yowza sounsd like Tierkreis is pretty bad. Would you guys say its actually worse than SIV? its not THAT bad is it? Im surpriseed its not even set in the same world though.

Just an update i know own a PSP and a ds lite and dsi XL =P However i am having a hard time getting tierkreis brand new at a good price. I guess i gotta keep looking, its suually going for about 50 bucks

I gotta d.load suikoden for the psp just for the hella it. So far ive bought a crap ton of RPGs for both systems and some fun gimick games for the DS (cooking mama is surprisingly fun,lol). I guess i'll see just how medicore this game is if i ever find a copy. Gamestop has 'new' copies but those are open guts with stickers all over them (aka not new)
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

Don't get it, I was weary of buying it because I heard all of the horrible feedback for it, well I got it, played it, hated it. It was cheesy, the voice acting was appalling, It had 108 characters and the Name Suikoden, other than that, it was a different game, and a LAME game at that.

PS: is your avatar Baiken from Guilty Gear? Rock on, I whoop ass with Zato 1 heh.
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

hah, ya thats Baiken. I loved her. Fun as hell to play with and still hot despite being pretty frigging badly maimed. I used Zato-1 a lot too. My faves were Baiken, Sol, Zato-1. Later i used Potemkin, viper, Justice, and Dizzy quite a bit too. While i like the newer blaz-blue games, for some reason i find the older GG games better, im not sure why. They seemed a bit more balanced i guess?

I have to get it, just to round out the collection. It soundsl ike it really does suck though =( Ah well i'll just have to keep an eye out for it. Im not planning on dropping more than mid 30ish bucks for it though. I do gotta get it new just for my piece of mind. I really hate gamestops stupid 'new' games that really arent new