Female Tenkai

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Female Tenkai

Post by KFCrispy »

there's definitely no reason the Suikoden games can't use a female, it's just that they haven't had one.
allowing for gender choice shouldn't change the game much either, except maybe character comments and a possible semi-love relationship character (have both a male and a female candidate as a SOD so one of them will like the Tenkai depending on your choice).
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

Benthos wrote:like changing her clothes throughout the game (I mean with you choosing the outfit she will use)
That's okay. I liek seeing different outfits/costuems.

Benthos wrote: Well, I think that unless the Female Tenkai is very brave and strong (with Oulan and Chris style), she probably will lead to a type of Suikoden for girls.

I don't know, what do you guys think?
To be honest, not to sound like pig or anything, but I think all it would take to keep a male audience with a female protagonist is for her to be hot.... or to have huge... tracts of land.
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

As long as they don't take the FFX-2 approach.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

KFCrispy wrote:there's definitely no reason the Suikoden games can't use a female, it's just that they haven't had one.
allowing for gender choice shouldn't change the game much either, except maybe character comments and a possible semi-love relationship character (have both a male and a female candidate as a SOD so one of them will like the Tenkai depending on your choice).
Honestly, these "almost love interests" don't necessarily have to change so much that they'd need to have options that change with the main character's gender.

For example, like in Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Lyon's role remain unchanged regardless of which of the twins you choose as your main lord (Lyon here is male, btw). With Ephraim, they focused more on their rivalry. With Eirika, it was more about unrequited love. Also, because the choice made is between a pair of twins, the one not chosen could still be fully canon and lead a rather significant role in the plot.

Of course, in Fire Emblem, their Support system provides specific groups of people for both Ephraim and Eirika among which they can optionally develop towards end-game relationship with a character of your choice.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

Heh I think it should be a girl from a third world country that gets attacked by an upper class country like... Nagarea. I think it would be interesting to see a bigger veiw on that country. and she has to go into the enemy nation to do something...

Oh yeah, and give her a voice and a Teirkries Tenkai personality, but with a little more tact.
Last edited by Sagiri on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
Ancient Cheesecake

Post by Ancient Cheesecake »

I really don't like the silent protagonist thing very much. When I play a JRPG I don't try to place myself in the skin of the protagonist because the protagonist is someone else's character. In Suikoden V, the Prince has known his family and the knights for most of his life. His past is already written for him by the game's designers, and I didn't have any input. I didn't decide he loved his family, that's imposed on him by the designers. I didn't decide he looks up to Georg, that's imposed on him. Sure you get a choice some points, like with how to treat Lyon in the beginning, but in the end he still treats her as more than just a bodyguard. He's still obviously extremely distressed when she is injured and happy to see her when she returns. He still looks at her lovingly in the good ending. I don't play JRPGs to roleplay. That's what I play actual roleplaying games for.

Anyway, to attempt to segue back on topic... Regardless of sex, I think the next Suikoden's protagonist should not be silent and nameless. If the protagonist is built with pre-existing relationships with other characters, those characters should know the protagonist and their name. A silent nameless protagonist in a JRPG just hurts the story, and doesn't really add any worthwhile roleplaying.

Look at Suikoden Tierkreis for example. Sieg has a personality(even if it is basically the standard shonen archetype), and his friends know it. This allows all sorts of entertaining interplay between them. The only problem is that he doesn't have a set name, so every once in a while the characters have awkward lines like saying "Uh!" when the caption says "Sieg!" Obviously Suikoden Tierkreis' voice acting has allot of other issues, which aren't relevent to this discussion... and somehow I managed to get off topic again...

I really don't see any problem with having a female Tenkai except from a commercial standpoint. It's entirely possible that Konami will feel that their target audience would not appreciate a female Tenkai (or at least not a female Tenkai that would do the series justice). I think the thing that we need to look at the most to determine the viability of a female Tenkai is Suikoden 3. In all the other Suikoden's the Tenkai is a fairly typical main character. You spend the most time playing as him, and he's the clear military leader in whatever conflict has arisen. Three is unique in that the most obvious protagonists turned out not to be the Tenkai, even though Hugo is clearly the closest to your average JRPG protagonist. But Thomas is the Tenkai. He's the one who brings the stars of destiny together. The question is, just how well did this unconventional approach do? If Suikoden 3's unconventional style was extremely unpopular, then Konami will most likely not try anything particularly original or creative in the future, figuring that retreading the same old turf is for safer, and more profitable. If Suikoden 3 did really well, the chance of something unusual like a female Tenkai happening is much more likely as it shows Konami that their fans are not going to abandon them for trying something different. I don't really know how well Suikoden 3 did though.
No offense intended.

Dumb dumb Moira Brown
Dumbest chick in this whole dumb town

Dumber than old king kong
Uglier than a junk yard dog

I set off a nuke to kill you
But fate was just too damn cruel
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I guess one can say the first female Tenkai star appeared in Tierkreis.
You know, the other Marika.
Cuteboys_fangirl

Post by Cuteboys_fangirl »

I want there to be a female.Even if Chris is one which she is not but if she was thats like one out of 8 or how ever many there is
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

That would be nice. I would prefer a female archer, gunner, or mage as the next tenkai.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Simplicity

Post by Simplicity »

I like the idea... I want her to be the first lady of the series from the strangest place of the world of Suikoden... The nameless lands.. that would be nice..
"We are beyond humanity. We are beyond Salvation" -Ada Wong, Resident Evil 6.
SuikodenTHater

Post by SuikodenTHater »

Vextor wrote:I guess one can say the first female Tenkai star appeared in Tierkreis.
You know, the other Marika.
No you can't as Tierkreis is Tierkreis and not a Suikoden game :evil: , with that said I think it would be very interesting to have a female Tenkai and main character for a change. I also like the idea of them not being silent that one of the things that I really liked about 3 and I was kind of sorry when then reverted back t him being silent in 4 and again in 5.

The other thing that is a bit off topic but I would love to see a Tenkai main character that is more active in the actual strategies with in the game and uses his strategist as more of an advisor.

I think it would be very interesting to make that part of the game more tactical then it has been in the past and have more meaning then it has in past games.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but how about basing a female Tenkai's story from that of Princess Pingyang?
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

The Pokemon model would be the way to go, give people the choice. Adding in some extra dialogue and events depending on gender would be nice.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

mhatter106 wrote:
Benthos wrote: Well, I think that unless the Female Tenkai is very brave and strong (with Oulan and Chris style), she probably will lead to a type of Suikoden for girls.

I don't know, what do you guys think?
To be honest, not to sound like pig or anything, but I think all it would take to keep a male audience with a female protagonist is for her to be hot.... or to have huge... tracts of land.
There's a trend of "flat-chest" love going on, at least in anime anyways. In JRPGs though, they seem to be the cutest among the bunch, and are usually portrayed as White Mages or Thieves.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

It's fine to be flat since the cuteness term is there for young girls but i think it'd a total turn off when it happens to a mature woman, well to be exact, Kika, S4 describes her as a beautiful and attractive woman, however i don't see the same thing, there's no need for a huge rack but at least it should make her appealing enough as a woman, eventually her physic appearance is too manly.