Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Post by KFCrispy »

Suikoden Tierkreis, as stated by developers in various interviews, was an attempt to target a wider audience. Although this game is not an official sequel to the series (as in Suikoden I, II, III, IV, and V) and should be considered a spin-off like Tactics and the Gaidens, it closely resembles the format of the main series, but for the first time in any Suikoden game, characters can equip different weapons (or use none at all), runes do not seem to be present in the game, and the MP-system resembles that of a mainstream RPG game like Final Fantasy instead of using the traditional 4-tiered MP values.

The drastic changes from the story (taking place in a different dimension instead of the normal "Suikoworld" we have been used to seeing) and the gameplay (to conform to the "standard" JRPG format) has left existing fans with mixed feelings, but how has the game's release fared with the general audience?
LanceHeart wrote:First day sales for Genso Suikoden Tierkreis are out: 40,000.
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10180223526.html
Translated: http://pspupdates.qj.net/Dissidia-sells ... aid/127466

The closest lower-selling contender is Fable 2 at 30,000 sales. Considering how Dissidia: Final Fantasy and Tales of Hearts came out on the same day, you can say this is still a win in terms of sales.
Besides the sales numbers, the game reviewers have so far deemed this as a very good game, scoring 8s and 9s out of 10 for various categories.
The Nintendo DS' line of RPGs is plagued with tons of re-releases. I won't be surprised if this game succeeds on a wide scale and helps revive the Suikoden series, which seems to be Konami's goal.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

looks like someone's marketing strategy worked out so far?

hope it keeps up...
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

I guess it's too early to say if it's really a success or not but..

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

It's cool Dissidia had 350,000 sold copies.

But 40,000 is an achievement for a first day sales. Hope to continue its success to the NA and EU release! :)
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

Considering the sales for ST were around 70,000 for the week and the new Tales game (and the Tales series is complete rubbish) sold around *191,000*, and factoring in Chrono Trigger's *first day* sales of 170,000, I'd say no.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

first week sales = first day sales? why are we even comparing these two?

anyway, invalid comparisons aside

really 170,000 sales for a re-run?

wonder if SII gets a re-release...
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Success is not defined as having the highest sales. The success of STk is not dependent on the comparison of its sales to other games.

It's just a matter of Konami making profit. :)
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

I'm flattered you took my sales post, KFCrispy.

While I'm not the biggest fan of this game being (purportedly) completely detached from the rest of the franchise, from a purely monetary standpoint the game could very well end up being a success. It all depends on whether it'll rake in a better profit than Suikoden V at this point.
Braxiatel wrote:Considering the sales for ST were around 70,000 for the week and the new Tales game (and the Tales series is complete rubbish) sold around *191,000*, and factoring in Chrono Trigger's *first day* sales of 170,000, I'd say no.
You're comparing established and already-mainstream franchises (and a nostalgic Square Enix branded port) to the release of a lesser known and preferred franchise. You also seemed to have conveniently forgot that both a Final Fantasy and Tales game came out on the same day (which I mention in my original post). Going up against two of the most popular JRPG franchises at the same time is bound to kill your sales.

In the end, Runemaster had the best answer. If the sales manage to make that profit publishers and developers want, the series will continue. Much like what Kevin Smith said: It doesn't matter how much you gross at the box office or in DVD sales, it's about making a profit for the people involved.
Formerly known as: Gothann
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

I think a fair comparison would be Suikoden V's sales numbers vs this game, but I'm at a loss as to where to find such data.
Also, once one week passes maybe we can compare the 1-week sales of Tierkreis to Rhapsodia's first week.

As players start to review this game, I wonder if the positive vibe will spread to help boost sales further in Japan.. how well-known will Tierkreis be by the time it hits the US?
suikodian

Post by suikodian »

vgchartz.com has some sale figures for Suikoden V
Week 1 129,755
Week 2 23,556
Week 3 10,337
Week 4 5,825
Week 5 3,556
Week 6 3,088
Week 7 2,522
Week 8 2,057
Week 9 1,709
Week 10 1,484
Also suikox.com has a topic about Suikoden Series Sales Figures
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

nice

then we'll just have to wait a week to compare those figures...

a question though...

which country has better sales Japan or NA/EU?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Mio wrote:nice

then we'll just have to wait a week to compare those figures...

a question though...

which country has better sales Japan or NA/EU?
Japan, definitely.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Another useful bit would be the trend of sales for the entire series. Suikoden V saw a pretty large decline from Suikoden III/IV.
Vextor's post in suikox wrote: Suikoden 2: 344,184 units sold
Suikoden 3: 377,729 units sold
Suikoden 4: 311,815 units sold
Suikoden 5: 192,297 units sold
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

my that's a steep drop

almost 50%

and here I thought SV did better

i guess even if it's a good game, it still suffered 50% damage due to bad publicity

no wonder they're focusing on sales now...
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

LanceHeart wrote: You're comparing established and already-mainstream franchises (and a nostalgic Square Enix branded port) to the release of a lesser known and preferred franchise. You also seemed to have conveniently forgot that both a Final Fantasy and Tales game came out on the same day (which I mention in my original post). Going up against two of the most popular JRPG franchises at the same time is bound to kill your sales.
After what....twelve years and nine games (including this and the two Gaidens), and you're saying the game isn't established? That's laughable.

The fact that a game that's almost 15 years old (Chrono) is outselling a brand new game in an established series does not bode well for it.

As for Konami releasing it the same day as a new FF game, that just reinforces my theory that they're deliberately trying to kill the series.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

You're yet again not looking at the big picture. Suikoden Tierkreis is a new game in a younger franchise and Chrono Trigger is a 15 year old port of a game that has near-god status amongst RPG lovers both here and in Japan. Add to that the simple fact that Square Enix put their logo on the game and that just adds a few thousand purchases on brand alone.

Last I checked, in the eyes of the layman Konami makes Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania and lotto/arcade machines. What's more, Suikoden Tierkreis launched in a time where quite a few JRPGs are coming out at the same time. Tales of Hearts was moved back a week as well, so you can't really blame Konami for putting the game up against ToH on the DS, Namco did the moving.
Formerly known as: Gothann