Why isn't this Suikoden VI?

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
Waylander

Why isn't this Suikoden VI?

Post by Waylander »

There are 108 Stars of Destiny, this is not a Gaiden game, nor a side story like Tactics; so why isn't it Suikoden VI?

I'm not looking for speculation here; has anything definitive been said?
KoyuRedd

Re: Why isn't this Suikoden VI?

Post by KoyuRedd »

Waylander wrote:There are 108 Stars of Destiny, this is not a Gaiden game, nor a side story like Tactics; so why isn't it Suikoden VI?
Suikoden Tierkreis- no roman numerals included.
[evil laugh here]
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

they're probably saving the number series for the home consoles. many game series do this, like Final Fantasy's handheld series are called "Crystal Chronicles" i think... but i hope you got the point.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Because it's on a handheld? With the amount of tweaks to the Suikoden standards (Runes, MP, weapons), the least they could do to play safe is to not assign a numeral to this game.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

I'm not sure how not putting a numeral after the name, "plays it safe." Is it an excuse Konami can play if the game sucks? "Tierkreis sucked, we know, but it's not like it was an Official Suikoden game." I hope that is not the reason...

Crispy I see the point you are trying to make but Crystal Chronicles is on consoles too. DQIX is not. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I am curious. I'd love to hear a developer's reason for the lack of "VI."
Last edited by Waylander on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Well, maybe "play safe" is too much.

But, still, without a numeral, they are telling us that Tierkreis has all the potential to end up as a "spin" on the classic Suikoden formula, in the same way that Suikogaiden, Card Stories and Rhapsodia was. They are as much part of the series, and yet not exactly like any of the numbered ones. Suikogaiden was a picture-and-text-adventure, Card Stories simulated the series' collectible card game and Rhapsodia was a full-blown tactical RPG sequel.

Depending on what constitutes "Suikoden" to you, these spin-offs provide you a different kinds of experiences while still bearing the series' essence, all the same. It thus "plays safe" by providing you this forewarning.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

they probably are already planning/working on VI
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

KFCrispy wrote:they probably are already planning/working on VI
That's a reason I could get behind. But I would still like to know why Tierkreis isn't VI. If they are working on VI and haven't announced it yet, why isn't Tierkreis call VI and the unannounced game called VII?

Patapi, your points are valid, my only qualm with what you said above is, none of the Suikogaiden, Tactics, or card stories ever contained collecting the 108 stars of destiny. To me, that is the essence of Suikoden.

There is no, "spin" on 108 stars of destiny; that's just what the game is...
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

That's why I said, it depends what our expectations are.

Sure, looks like they kept the 108 Stars of Destiny. Yet it seems to me that they also are messing with a number of other equally essential Suikoden elements, particularly gameplay mechanics, that we (well, a fair portion of us, I guess) have come to expect from a Suikoden: the MP system, fixed weapons, Mark of the Stars instead of great ol' runes, etc.

I agree with KFCrispy, chances are that they are probably already working on VI. Given the unfamiliar territories featured in Tierkreis (as far as we are informed to date), perhaps this is meant to set the stage for VI's settings?
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

The apparent lack of runes is strange; really strange. But for me--and I understand this is personal--Suikoden's identity is 108 SoD. That is what seperates it from every other RPG out there in my mind: the SoD and the all the story that comes with them. Gaiden and tactics didn't have that aspect so I always called them 'side games.' I also thought that's why Gaiden and tactics didn't get a numeral.

Tierkreis does have 108 SoD; even if 104 are dead. The SoD are what constitute Suikoden in my mind.

In terms of a set up for Suikoden VI, that is very plausible.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i think you are also going to see more menu-driven navigation as opposed to being able to run around a town. the world map is going to be like Suikoden III / Rhapsodia where you just select the destination, but i bet it will resemble Rhapsodia more in the respect that it will let you pass over dungeon areas without entering them (grr my main gripe of Suikoden III was having to cross the same place over and over again..). then when you actually enter the town, you choose which area you want to visit for "free roaming", limited to one section at a time.... a hybrid between Rhapsodia and being able to explore the entire town by foot. in this sense, the game and its map/towns will probably feel smaller and shorter.
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

Because it's not going to be good enough to be considered part of the main series.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

My assumption as to why its not Suikoden 6 is because its not supposed to be part of the main story arc, which is about the gathering of true runes. But of course, i could be wrong.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Suikoden main games have many recurring themes, but three seem to pop up a lot when talking about the series and its storyline. They lead me to believe that any main-series game won't happen without them:

1. 108 Stars of Destiny
2. True Runes
3. Political & strategic plot

Let's just hope the whole deal of building up an army to defeat the One King isn't along the lines of the average RPG, with you simply gathering a force to attack someone in particular (who seems to be ludicrously powerful, sans army), as opposed to you being part of a rebellion or resistance force.

I'd mention all of the other gameplay mechanics they've announced as eliminated, but we don't even know how they work yet.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

The answer to the topic question has already been answered a month ago: it's basically a game that will hype the next major Suikoden game, which is, part VI.