Wild Arm series

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Laharle

Wild Arm series

Post by Laharle »

hello I was wondering if Wild Arms 4 ,5 and alter code are worth playing.
just need to know if battle and story is good or not.

I found part 3 to be ok and wonder how they improved toward the fans.
Chaco

Re: Wild Arm series

Post by Chaco »

Wild Arms 4 is an amazing game and you definitly need to play it. It is way better then 3.

Alter Code F is a remake of 1 (I bealive) and is a great game to, the puzzle boxes are fun, and the story is interesting and good.

5 is pretty good to, 4 is better but 5 is still good.

I'm a fan of Wild Arms so the bias is there, but I can honestly say if you only plan to play one of the three play wild Arms 4.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Reinbach_III

Post by Reinbach_III »

I've only played Wild Arms 1-4, but for me the series started very well and got weaker with each game.
The battle system was OK in 4, but the story didn't appeal to me at all.
Not played 5 yet, mostly due to 505 Games only publishing it in ridiculously small numbers in Europe.
As for ACF, given that it is a remake of 1, it's at least got a good story to it. I hear that the battle system is completely changed from the original though, so I'm not in a position to speak about that.

Also, if you're from North America or Japan and plan on playing both Wild Arms 4 and Alter Code F, play ACF first. You can import your save data from that game into 4 to get some extra stuff.
"Me, sir? I'm just a poor jujube vendor, with hungry kids waiting at home..." Scholtenheim Reinbach III
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Also, if you're from North America or Japan and plan on playing both Wild Arms 4 and Alter Code F, play ACF first. You can import your save data from that game into 4 to get some extra stuff.
To bad no one told me that, since I did it in the opposite direction which sucked, but I got to import Wild Arms 4 to 5 at least.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

loved 1 when it came out, can't say it aged well. 4 has its share of problems but it's my favorite; mainly because of platforming elements and the battle system is pretty fun. 3 is decent. i hated 2 for reasons i cant really explain (really generic i suppose) and i havent played 5 yet, but i hope to eventually.

my overall opinion of the series is that every game has had good and bad aspects. not a perfect series and not the first series i would recommend to someone wanting to play jrpgs. fairly good though.

oh and i didnt like alter code f at all and would much rather go back to the cruddy looking original.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

oh wow i didn't know about the ACF -> WA4 memory import....
I've played WA1, WA2, WA:ACF, and I'm almost done with WA5. Out of these I have to say my favorite is Wild Arms 5. The first two were classics and very much worth playing. ACF was also very fun and has a lot of stuff going on.

WA5 makes me want to play 3 and 4, and Cross Fire (but unfortunately I don't have a PSP). I had doubts about 3 and 4 which is why I never got them, but knowing that 4 uses the same system as 5 makes me want to try it out.. I might as well play them all eventually!
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

I've only played ACF, WA2 and WA4, but all were really great! I just didn't like Badge collecting and selling your levels in WA4.
darkphoenix

Post by darkphoenix »

Wild arms is really good. The story is catchy and the Western looking universe very well done. Too bad it's one of the only PS1 game that didnt work properly on PS2, at least on PAL. I bought WA4 few months ago, it's still sitting on the shelves, havent even opened it. Apparently it's very good, might try it once back from holiday... will keep me waiting till Tierkreis's is out...yay
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Wild Arms 5 was a blast for me. My first WA title, and the story was pretty decent. But IMO it's the battle system and casting that did it for me though.

I sort of want to start on an ACF-WA4 marathon, but the deadly glitch that denies you of WA4's bonuses kind of killed the mood.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah there's some kind of problem in the US version of WA4 that prevents you from getting 100% complete. i haven't gotten 100% complete in ACF or 5, actually... for ACF i need to encounter an enemy that seems to not want to appear anymore so i gave up on that, and for 5 i wasn't keeping track of all the treasure chests so at end game, i'm missing like 5 and i have no idea where to find em *sob*
avenger

Post by avenger »

the only games i played were wild arms for ps and wild arms 2 for ps. after that i think the series just lost it's grip on me that is..
Freak

Post by Freak »

I just played Wild Arms 3 and I absolutely loved it. I liked everything: the western theme, the characters, the story, the battles and the puzzles. Well, except groping around on the world map blindly which was annoying. But at least there was so much stuff to find. I actually liked it more than the first game which I played years ago.
Right now, I'm playing Wild Arms 5 (the French PAL, I was so relieved when I found out you can change the game text to English :) ). The characters are fairly stereotypical for RPGs, but I'm enjoying it overall. I'm really annoyed with the world map, though. It looks pretty, but I get lost all the time. Sometimes I walk past one village five times even though the map tells me I should be right there. Maybe I just have a really bad sense of direction. :roll:
But this has to be the first RPG ever where the whole world watches your heroic deeds on reality show TV. That was a nice touch.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

3 was my favorite in the series, but when I tried 4, I gave up on it. I think it changed companies or something so it just wasn't the same. I haven't tried 5 due to that reason (sounds like Suikoden IV syndrome). How do you like 5 when compared to 3?
Freak

Post by Freak »

The writing and characters are more cliched than WA3, but I'd say it's a good game overall. I wish they would have kept the traditional character intros, though. There is voice acting, some voices are good, others are extremely annoying (I never use Carol if I can helpt it because her voice drives me NUTS :x ). The battle system is apparently an improved version of WA4 (never played 4, so I can't say). It uses elemental grids, a bit like Suikoden Tactics. You can't switch characters, instead one character has all tools. Some puzzles can get repetitive and there are some really irritiating jump 'n run parts. I think 3 and especially 1 had the better dungeon designs overall. Still, there are lots of nice little details in the game and the locations are beautifully drawn. The countless cameos from previous game are really cute too. :)
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Hmm, sounds like it could go either way for me. I'll try renting it first, thanks.