Animal Characters

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Hyura

Post by Hyura »

I think it's ridiculous to call the animal characters pointless! Some of them have very important roles in the Suikoden storyline, just like any other character. Just because they're part animal doesn't mean they're useless. That's like... racism or something. xD *laugh*

Yes, I admit that Duck-people are a bit out of the ordinary. But would you rather the designers become cliche with their character designs? I've seen quite a bit of anthromorphic artwork, and it almost always features a cat/tiger or wolf person, and they often look the same. So yes, duck people are unique compared to that. And I actually did like Sgt. Joe. He was an interesting character. In no way did I think he or any of the duck clan was pointless.

Ah, and the Nay Kobolds are unique too, even though they ARE cats. As someone pointed out, they have a strange posture and a sort of mysterious presence. I think animal people add a little extra mysticism for the Suiko world, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Eh... but what I really want to see in future games is more children. And not the snobby, unlikable kind (unless it's Luc, of course). And I want them more involved. Or at least somewhat involved.
creativerealms

Post by creativerealms »

Joe was in my party for most of the game. He was a very powerful character and has a well developed character. He served as the heart of Hugo's party in my opinion. He was the voice of reason. If not for Joe Hugo probably would have been killed along with with best friend.
Kobold

Post by Kobold »

I must mention something... This has been a pet peeve of mine which i cannot stand...

Please do not refer to the squirrels or koroku and friends together with the kobolds/duck/beaver/nay-kobolds

There is a vast difference between them. The squirrels and dogs are animals... Ducks and lizards and beavers however are races... They're humanoid races or sub-human races however you call it, and should be referred to along with the likes of elves, dwarves, winged hordes etc...

Blame Konami for lacking the innovation in creating races and simply use animals as an inspiration...

On a separate note, i do not find either the actual animals or the races to be obsolete... They're both necessary in Suikoden. New races are nice although i do agree that konami can get some creativity in for crying out loud...
Long time lurker...
anakputa

Re: Animal Characters

Post by anakputa »

i cannot recruit the 2 nay kobolds when i play at night, they have to wait til sunrise before i ask for the king's gold thingie... their eyes and aura scare the hell out of me, make me feel like there's someone at my back or someone's beside me when i play lied down.

gabocha is the cutest kobold ever

abizboah- id choose the other two

the unicorn- perv

feather is alright

fubar- cute

bright- love him!

ruby- can't understand her drawing

byakuren-alright, protects the castle and all

genoh- here we go! useless animal character ever! he cannot even disclose any information or at least a teaser knowing how old he is
gimme a break genoh!
Yeah, Sierra, all this sun makes us cranky...
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

To tell you the truth after the 3rd game I can't remember any character that I liked that was an animal...I hated the beavers....but some in Suikoden 3 were okay(like the lizards and ducks), none is Suikoden 3 were great...but before Suikoden 3 ALL the races in Suikoden were awesome...you can't really ever go wrong with Kobalds...I found the flying squirrels amusing...even the Wingers were cool (and I don't even like Chaco or Sid that much).
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
rokkaku

Post by rokkaku »

ive been thinking...

is fubar and feather siblings??? hmmm..
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

Its possible, I wondered that too when I first played Suikoden 3.
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I think Suikoden IV was what ruined the non-humans reputation. None of them were really relevant in terms of plot. Chiepoo... what did he really do other than ride the coattails of an exiled soldier? Even just a small role could have helped, but no. He was just there for being there. Heck, even the elves were of more use than him. Champo caught a mouse. Big deal. Bah. Same with the mermaids. It would have been good if they were used for reconnaissance, but I guess Elenor was too brilliant for that. =\

The beavers were useful in their expertise in the Feitas, the dwarves were useful for their expertise in digging (you wouldn't have gotten to Lucretia if it weren't for them too!), so I guess Suikoden V at least helped redeem some non-humans. I wish they had more story on the large-size monsters like Byakuren, Genoh, Sigfried, and Feather though.

I have to say though... Thrash is probably the most underrated non-human character ever. She doesn't get enough credit for building more than a hundred dragon breath boats overnight.