[Discussion] Ways to make Suikoden II more challenging

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Hachifusa

Post by Hachifusa »

To be more challenging, just use fewer than 5 persons. Try to use Tir McDohl and riou after u get Tir, thats should do the trick. Equip them with powerful runes ( such as Thunder :D) and the game is on baby, and u desperately need their special attack. Both characters is A-ranks, my opinion.Folks! its fun, Ill tell ya, bosses can be difficult but continue till u get pretty frustrated not to come any further. Hopefully u have a required char such as nanami but dont use her then:P :lol:
Riou_99

Post by Riou_99 »

run away from as many battles as you can so u dont level up.
Mikain Clan King

Re: Ways to make Suikoden II more challenging

Post by Mikain Clan King »

Read the first page, no way Im reading all the other 7 pages :|
Just wanted to say if this isn't already suggested...go naked!....then you could probably use runes and sharpenings and everything...but wouldn't dueling be really hard :D
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I make all my games challenging by using characters I like, not based on their stats or anything. . if he looks cool, use him. It worked for every single RPG I have.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Mikain Clan King

Re:

sabaku_no_gaara wrote:dont do the matilda glitch
finish all the 108 dudes and dudettes
dont get McDohl(he rocks though)
complete the cooking matches
and dont CHEAT
I've done that, besides the Mcdohl part...I got him, then loaded my file and beat the last boss without him, oh and I'm reading the other 7 pages now.
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg
rnoron

Re:

Post by rnoron »

Riou_99 wrote:run away from as many battles as you can so u dont level up.
i thought i'd mention that a no-exp game is possible, by killing off both your own party and the enemy party at the same time (using blue gate lv4 or fire lizard) at bosses so that no party members gain exp.

not sure if anyone has actually attempted an LLG in SII, but it is pretty much the staple challenge in most rpgs
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Zamza's Fire Dragon also works. Interesting challenge, but I imagine it will be very difficult. Earth Rune would most likely be your best friend with Clay Guardian, Revenge Earth and Canopy Defense.

Can Jowy be used at the start as a "shield" for experience during the early stages until you could get the Fire Lizard rune? Boss fights are definitely going to be tough. There is also risk for the Fire Lizard rune-bearer. What if s/he suddenly makes a critical attack when you don't intend for it? XD
Author

Post by Author »

I'd read all the pages sometime later but here's a challenge.

Always let Riou be killed in battles and let your weakling pallies do the butt kicking. And
no McDohl because we know he's as good, if not better, than Riou xD

Oh, and have an all-animals party. Good luck.
Mikain Clan King

All animals may be to easy, just pop in your big buddies Mr. Unicorn and Mr. Gryphon and then you got a killer unite, add Shiro with a double beat and your smoking.....
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg
Author

Post by Author »

Mikain Clan King wrote:All animals may be to easy, just pop in your big buddies Mr. Unicorn and Mr. Gryphon and then you got a killer unite, add Shiro with a double beat and your smoking.....
Yea, but they're tad weak with their defenses. Especially since they can't use items XD
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I tried to use the five squirrels in the battle against the Beast Rune. Suffice to say, despite them all being Level 99, and having the upper tier elemental runes (plus Makumaku had Blue Gate), it still proved to be a difficult battle, what with the backfire rate between everyone casting spells. XD

During one of my first playthroughs (my second one I believe), I used Feather, Sigfried, and Badeaux. It was pretty tough, what with only four characters in the battle, but I do think that I beat it with them, because I clearly recall only Badeaux popped out at the throne room.
Mikain Clan King

You could always turn Riou into a healer, add a wizard and flowing. That may help the animals out. If you have double beat on all of them you could cast silent lake.
-Han Cunningham

-Leon Silverburg
FlameGeneralSeed

Post by FlameGeneralSeed »

Play with the controller turned around. That'll put you in a pickle!
XD
Or just close your eyes.
run away from as many battles as you can so u dont level up.
I agree with Riou_99.
Just don't level up. I didn't the first time I played through, just cause I didn't like to battle and I died.
A lot.
Time for the Secret Golden Bird Holy Flower Dragon Tooth Glory Punch-u!
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Mikain Clan King wrote:You could always turn Riou into a healer, add a wizard and flowing. That may help the animals out. If you have double beat on all of them you could cast silent lake.
Wizard+Flowing = pointless. Why sacrifice MDEF for like 50 points of healing? And why Flowing when you have Bright Shield? Also, Silent Lake is a double-edged sword. Sure, the enemy is silenced, but so are you, and with these animals' horrible defense, you're going to need to use Great Blessing/Battle Oath a LOT! Sure, there are scrolls, but they are consumable, and you would waste a turn grabbing for another one when it runs out. I would much rather have a +10 MDF from a Gold Emblem or a +% Repel Magic from a Fish Badge or Water Amulet.

I would give him a Resurrection Rune and a Mother Earth Rune. Restrict Level 1 and Level 3 MP to Bright Shield, Level 2 is for either Yell or Canopy Defense, which are both useful, and Level 4 is for Guardian Earth.

Balance Rune for "Mr. Unicorn" and "Mr. Gryphon". I would pick Makumaku as the last beast with a Blue Gate and a Flowing Rune. Protect Mist is handy, Kindness Rain is there for emergency healing, and the last two levels are for damage dealing from the Blue Gate Rune. Mother Ocean may also be used for emergencies.
Author

Post by Author »

Mikain Clan King wrote:You could always turn Riou into a healer, add a wizard and flowing. That may help the animals out. If you have double beat on all of them you could cast silent lake.
Nope, without Riou. It has to be without Riou. It's always hard without the Tenkai xD