[Glitch] Characters joining at lvl 99

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Fantasy

[Glitch] Characters joining at lvl 99

Post by Fantasy »

What a strange glitch this is...

Yanno...I have been coming here (site and forum) for a couple years now, but never posted until now. But, I feel I need to, because the glitch is just too weird. XD Its so WONDERFUL to see the Suikoden II section being so perused even after all this time. <3 Good that people recognize it for what it is.

Quick intro for first-time-posting-sake: I'm Katie, I'm almost 22, and Suikoden is my favourite series of all time (IV nonwithstanding...). Played one and two back ... shoot... when I was 14 or 15? ... and fell in love. Have played hoardes of RPGs since and before, and nothing has ever taken Suikoden 2 (and 1) 's place in my heart. ^^

ANYWAY, weird glitch. I am playing on emulator (waii, I wish I had a hardcopy...but I am a cheap girl and my old one wa BROKEN by my brother. Da-ze, hehe), but without cheats (save for being able to save state...heh heh heh)...the only thing I've done strangely in the game is that I did the 'push-the-gate' glitch in the first couple hours of the game. I didn't attempt the dragon quest or anything silly like that, I just leveled and went on to Muse. So, I've done nothing abnormal throughout the game, no cheat codes, nothing.

Nothiung strange has happened until now. Defeated Luca but I first noticed this when I recruited Hoi (the imposter-hero). For some damned reason, when I recruited him he was lvl 99. I thought this strange, but ignored it as I am not likely to use him...ever.

Tinto arc comes around, and I finally get to change my party, and as I'm going through my list of characters...I see that Long (LONG? Sorry, stupid Konami US) Chan Chan, whom I also just recruited while on my way to Tinto, is ALSO level 99. What the hell? Is it a glitch thats happened to somone else? AND WHY IS IT ONLY STUPID CHARACTERS?! Though, once I go get Pesmerga I will be thrilled if he is 99 as well. XD Would be better if it would just 'magically' happen to say...Viktor....or Clive.... XD (*hearts and dreamy eyes*)

Anyone ever had this happen, or am I alone in this?

*I wrote this offline to post later, and I just recruited Georg....YAY LVL 99 ON GEORG! Sweeeet. XD He's better looking in 5...eyepatch or no... >_>; Huh...NOW, I got Gantetsu and he was was only 27...how weird.....is it a selective glitch, then? @_@ Cuz I got Pesmerga at 99 as well, now...... >_> This maks it far too easy, lol...
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Hi there, welcome. This may be related to the 255 max stat glitch, if your emu-game is programmed normally like a real ps1 version.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

It's not related to the emulator things as similar glitch had been encountered a lot in the past. It just seems that some characters would join at level 99 when this glitch happened. If I'm not mistaken, only the characters whose level are affected by Riou's level (like how Georg is supposed to be 5 levels higher than Riou when recruited, etc) are affected by the glitch and joined at level 99 (which is why Gantetsu is still level 27).

It's nothing new, but there is nothing that we can really do about it. Suikoden II is sadly a game with a lot of glitches. You're not alone and it has happened to many other players too.

And welcome to Suikosource. Hope you enjoy your stay.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Fantasy

Post by Fantasy »

Thanks ^^

Nice to know I wasn't the only one....still weird though. Glitches or no, i fear I am forever hoplessly addicted. LOL
xnostalgiax

Post by xnostalgiax »

Believe it or not those are the EXACT same characters that joined my team at lvl 99 too.... Pesmerga, Georg, Long chan or whatever, Hoi, and maybe a couple of more that i dont remember.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

Well of course we believe you, because everyone who experienced the same glitch also had the same characters joining at level 99.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
sabaku_no_gaara

Post by sabaku_no_gaara »

never happend to me, maybe its because of yer emu
ALONE..... i love myself.....
Jzon

Post by Jzon »

This glitch have happend to me to. It happends to. Hoi,Anita,Pesmerga and George.
oops

Post by oops »

The only charachter that I have seen maxed stats from recruiting was Hai Yo, shame that I have not had any others from my many times of playing.

There must be something as a rule that you can do to get them at that level. prob something so dificult to replicate though... like timing of recruitment.

But since more people are recruited afterwards at 99 then maybe you have to do something in a perticular order to activate the glitch? Maybe recruiting in a certain order??
Hachifusa

Post by Hachifusa »

Man I hate the glitch with lvl 99 to some persons, I played suikoden 2 the seocnd time now and the glitch came the persons who lvled to lvl 99 when I recruited them are: Pesmerga, Georg, Mazus, L.W Chan, Hoi. Yeah its annoying, I was hoping for Pesmerga in the final party but when he got the glitch I wasnt motivated, I think its cheat.
The glitch started after I recruited Hoi. So sad.:(
Darknat

Re: Weird Glitch... characters joining at lvl 99

Post by Darknat »

The last post here is old, but I'm replying because I watched another post done recently in another thread asking about this.

This has only happen to me when I used the epsxe emulator.

What I did to avoid the glitch, was using another emulator when recruiting those chars. As far as I know, the PSXeven emulator works well for this.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

heh, except i don't know if people care to actually "avoid" this glitch. it's pretty beneficial!
Darknat

Post by Darknat »

KFCrispy wrote:heh, except i don't know if people care to actually "avoid" this glitch. it's pretty beneficial!
Lol, well I do prefer levelling the chars myself, if they are at level 99 they are overpowered, and it's boring playing with them.
Well, that's my opinion anyway :)
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

If you have gameshark you can put their levels back: http://www.cmgsccc.com/codes.php?do=view&id=1990

Let's take Georg for example:
His max level code is this:
Level 99 (Can Also Equip All Runes) 300699FA 0063
To get bim back to level 1: 300699FA 0001

In 3 fights he will be back on track.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

if you change a character's level with a cheat device, their stats will not change unless you change those to. so it's actually a fast way of boosting their stats to the max.. it's not a way of avoiding this level issue.... you'd have to modify their stats as well.